[SOLVED] EaseUS Partition Master won't convert MBR to GPT ?

Ainez

Prominent
Sep 26, 2020
This is a trial version, and while trying to convert mbr to gpt it says "Your partition environment does not support conversion, Please contact technical support"
Is this software issue or BIOS problem? I have UEFI & Legacy combined enabled.

Solution
I don't know what SkyNetRising was talking about but, all of the MS requirements for Partition configuration to use MBR2GPT checks out.
These 2 checks will fail:
  • There is enough space not occupied by partitions to store the primary and secondary GPTs:
    • 16KB + 2 sectors at the front of the disk
    • 16KB + 1 sector at the end of the disk
  • There are at most 3 primary partitions in the MBR partition table
Also bootloader partition needs to be separate from windows OS partition. Currently bootloader lives in same partition, where windows is located.

If you want to make it compatible with MS requirements, then
delete recovery partitions on disk 0,​
copy D : contents somewhere else,​

Ralston18

Titan
Start by double checking/confirming that the downloaded trial version actually supports making the conversion.

= = = =

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Open Disk Management, take a screenshot and post the screenshot here using imgur (www.imgur.com)

Show all drives, partitions, etc..

Ainez

Prominent
Sep 26, 2020
Start by double checking/confirming that the downloaded trial version actually supports making the conversion.

= = = =

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Open Disk Management, take a screenshot and post the screenshot here using imgur (www.imgur.com)

Show all drives, partitions, etc..
Info on the trial edition is unavailable in their website, though, most likely trial ver. doesn't support MBR to GPT conversion, like the MiniTool Partition Wizard.
System spec:
i5 4570
Gigabyte Z87 HD3; bios v. F6

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 21H1
OS build 19043.1165
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.1530.0

Disc management

*System information:
Device encryption support: Failed, TPM is not usable, PCR7 is not supported, security failed - device is not modern standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device detected.

Ainez

Prominent
Sep 26, 2020
Converting to GPT will not fix a corrupted Registry.

Delete all, and reformat the blank drive as GPT.
Continue...
The intended drive for conversion has two partitions, with different windows in both of them. To save the second windows, straight reformat into gpt therefore isn't option.

USAFRet

Titan
The intended drive for conversion has two partitions, with different windows in both of them. To save the second windows, straight reformat into gpt therefore isn't option.
It IS an option. Just maybe one you don't want to take.

You can't change part of it from MBR to GPT.

How about the MBR2GPT function from Microsoft?
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gpt

No idea how well that would work with 2x OS, but its there.

Of course, you only do that with a known good full drive backup.

Mbr2gpt will not be able to convert.
Partition configuration doesn't pass MS requirements.

dep-win10-partitions-bios.png

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...configure-biosmbr-based-hard-drive-partitions

Yeah, makes sense that it would fail.
I'm still curious as to the Why.
Disk Prerequisites
Before any change to the disk is made, MBR2GPT validates the layout and geometry of the selected disk to ensure that:
  • The disk is currently using MBR
  • There is enough space not occupied by partitions to store the primary and secondary GPTs:
  • One of the partitions is set as active and is the system partition
  • The disk does not have any extended/logical partition
  • The BCD store on the system partition contains a default OS entry pointing to an OS partition
  • The volume IDs can be retrieved for each volume which has a drive letter assigned
  • All partitions on the disk are of MBR types recognized by Windows or has a mapping specified using the /map command-line option
If any of these checks fails, the conversion will not proceed and an error will be returned.

Ainez

Prominent
Sep 26, 2020

Right, because I cannot reformat the whole drive into gpt, that will wipeout everything in the both partitions whilst, I need to delete everything in one particular partition, but an option nonetheless.
MBR2GPT function is the most convenient way however, since EaseUS says '.. partition environment does not support conversion..' , and by environment if it means BIOS, then there is a chance that another trouble awaits which is, if the BIOS isn't UEFI capable right now (the board is UEFI capable and the BIOS screen says it is UEFI) or have to update it to get the UEFI to properly work, the storage drive will become unusable as it will be in GPT format, till I get the environment / BIOS capable of running UEFI or upgrade it. You see, if I cannot get the UEFI to work, the storage drive which I just (if) reformatted into gpt will become useless.
That is why, have to confirm if the UEFI actually works, before doing GPT conversion with MBR2GPT or using a third party software.

Ainez

Prominent
Sep 26, 2020

Right, because I cannot reformat the whole drive into gpt, that will wipeout everything in the both partitions whilst, I need to delete everything in one particular partition, but an option nonetheless.
MBR2GPT function is the most convenient way however, since EaseUS says '.. partition environment does not support conversion..' , and by environment if it means BIOS, then there is a chance that another trouble awaits which is, if the BIOS isn't UEFI capable right now (the board is UEFI capable and the BIOS screen says it is UEFI) or have to update it to get the UEFI to properly work, the storage drive will become unusable as it will be in GPT format, till I get the environment / BIOS capable of running UEFI or upgrade it. You see, if I cannot get the UEFI to work, the storage drive which I just (if) reformatted into gpt will become useless.
That is why, have to confirm if the UEFI actually works, before doing GPT conversion with MBR2GPT or using a third party software.

Ainez

Prominent
Sep 26, 2020
Not the Why of why it would fail...;)

Rather, the Why of why the OP is wanting to do this.
I don't know what SkyNetRising was talking about but, all of the MS requirements for Partition configuration to use MBR2GPT checks out. The conversion will be applied on the first disc, the Disk 0, can disregard the Disk 1.

D

Deleted member 14196

Here’s an option back up all of your stuff and then install windows fresh by deleting all the partitions and formatting the drive first

Oh wait you’re too lazy

Reactions: Ainez
I don't know what SkyNetRising was talking about but, all of the MS requirements for Partition configuration to use MBR2GPT checks out.
Also bootloader partition needs to be separate from windows OS partition. Currently bootloader lives in same partition, where windows is located.

delete D : partition,​
create separate bootloader partition - primary,active ntfs,500MB,​
use bcdboot command to cresate bootloader files on it,​
change boot priority to boot from 240GB drive.​
Then use mbr2gpt utility.

Last edited:
Solution

Ainez

Prominent
Sep 26, 2020

delete D : partition,​
create separate bootloader partition - primary,active ntfs,500MB,​
use bcdboot command to cresate bootloader files on it,​
change boot priority to boot from 240GB drive.​
Then use mbr2gpt utility.
Well, there's a bit complication, as there is another (good) windows installed in the disk 0, D partition, which I'd like to keep. Looks like no other way than letting it go, for creating bootloader partition.
What if an unallocated partition was created on the left to the D part using partition tool, delete recovery partitions, and if the D part is OS part, which actually is from the second windows perspective,
Can bcdboot command then create bootloader files on it?
Or none of it makes sense for keeping another partition with another windows in a GPT partition environment because there can only be one OS in GPT style, unlike having multiple OS in multiple partitions in an MBR style?