Easiest way to use SSD as new boot drive, from old HDD

scott03

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016
I have a 250gb Crucial SSD. And my old HDD is 1tb (900gb used). I already have the SSD formatted and ready to go for a fresh windows install. After I cleanly install windows, is there a way to get all my previous settings, and a few files from my HDD to the new SSD?

Or do you recommend partitioning the boot part of the HDD and cloning it to the SSD? I wouldn't be able to clone the whole HDD because of the storage limitations.

Which would be easier?

thanks in advance

Solution

If you can reduce the C partition (or the actual used space on that drive) to below 200GB, you can clone the whole thing over to the new SSD.

Otherwise...you'll need to do a full reinstall of all your applications, recreate all your settings, etc.

USAFRet

Titan

If you can reduce the C partition (or the actual used space on that drive) to below 200GB, you can clone the whole thing over to the new SSD.

Otherwise...you'll need to do a full reinstall of all your applications, recreate all your settings, etc.

Solution

scott03

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016

Well is there a way to just section off the part with windows on it, none of the applications or pictures, etc?

so then I wouild be able to boot from it, then slowly copy over just a few games and pictures

USAFRet

Titan

Unfortunately, no. Can't do it that way.

scott03

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016

Do I then have to buy a new windows key, or can I somehow copy my old version to my new SSD?

USAFRet

Titan

No, you don't need to buy a new OS license.

A fresh install (as stated in your original comment), on a new drive in the same system...no new OS license needed.
You will, however, need to reinstall most/all of your applications.

Steam games can be worked around, but all else will need to be reinstalled.

scott03

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016

What if as I am installing windows to the SSD, would I need to keep the old HDD plugged in to the system, and have to go to the bios to select the boot drive?

USAFRet

Titan

Disconnect the HDD while you install on the SSD.

USAFRet

Titan
If you do get to the point of 200GB or smaller, and you wish to clone to the new drive...

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the 450MB Recovery Partition, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4f1b84ac-b193-40e3-943a-f45d52e23685/cant-delete-extra-healthy-recovery-partitions-and-healthy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall
-----------------------------