Easy alternative of thermal paste

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dead_sincebirth

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Hi, guys today i am gona tell you about how to make a thermalpaste if u somehow don't find one i have tried this and this really worked out for me.
to make a thermal paste you need following items
1. Normal toothpaste (prefferably mint)
2. Mucaine syrup which is used to treat heartburns, dyspepesia, acidity etc ( Aluminium gel , magnesium hydroxide) you can also use any milk of magnesia which should have the components i listed in the second option bracketts above.

took one half tea spoon of paste and one half tea spoon of Mucaine syrup mix them well untill a pastey substance forms now store it in an airtight bottle and keep it in ur refigurator's vegetable compartment (dont freez it). your thermal paste is ready ...

when you need it to apply just put about a little more than the pea size of this paste on the center of base of ur stockcooler or cpucooler spread its thin film all over the base (i used hyper 212 evo for experimenting) and put it on your processor gently and then fix it
note : many people apply thermalpastes directly on there processors i don't recomend this because a thermal paste consists of mettalic or silicon gels which can find there way down from the sides of processor to the mainboard causing motherboard to get short.

i used following rig for experiment:
i5,2500k @ stock values . asus p8z68-v-delux . 1600mhz corsair 8GB at xmp , coolermaster silentpro 850 watts psu , Antec 300
i used this sytem for 3 continous hours and nothing went wrong

try this have fun cheers ............. :) :) :)

Solution
Why revive this old necrotic thread?

If you are going to be a part of the computing realm, at least learn what you need to do it, and if you cannot afford legitimate thermal compound, don't remove your freaking stock cooler in the first place! :pfff:

We've seen all the tests claiming toothpaste, mayonnaise, lipstick, makeup, and a variety of household items worked, for a very short testing period, but not over time! because they dried out, no tester told you what happened after that point was reached!

Be smart, not stupid, when it comes to thermal compound, it's protecting your hardware!

AOSIG

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014
This one is not so bad of a read either. http://www.overclockers.com/homemade-thermal-grease/

I was going to attempt to use nail polish remover, mixed in with an actual metal polish.

Let me explain why...

Metal paste (for polishing or cleaning) is clay-like. And while it may not be greasy to apply the nailpolish remover would break it down for the necessary time period of application. I should also add that the nailpolish remover will dry out quickly once heated, and the paste should pretty much restore to normal status... which is ironically just like the paste that need be cleaned off the CPU.

asa stated above the purpose of the thermal paste is to enter any crevices and remove the room for air between the connection of sink and cpu. With that said... well.. you get the point...

I'll make a video and see how that works out ;)

I have two xbox 360's to repair (ring of death)... contemplating doing this just to check and see if it will work and hold out for the long run.

Gama alpha

Reputable
Apr 21, 2014
It's a miracle I used it and it worked.

I am in Zimbabwe, hardware stores don't have TC.i been working in my machine for days trying to figure out what was wrong with it. I removed fan and notice that the TC was crapy. For days I looked for the TC until today, just got my toothpaste and applied a thin layer. For the first time in months. The machine was up and running.

Thank you Dead

andrewj1999

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2013

It helped me as well. I am 14 and I can't go and get thermal paste. Luckily on my main pc there is enough paste left on the block to keep my cpu cool but I changed the cpu on my media pc and the toothpaste worked and kept it from going to max fan speed and crashing.

If you find yourself in a situation where you need to macgyver together thermal paste you've probably already done several things that should be avoided. The trick is to not get into this situation in the first place. Keep thermal paste handy and don't perform experiments on anything that you're not willing to destroy. Thermal paste is not expensive and even the cheapest generic ceramic compound will be significantly more durable, less abrasive, less corrosive, and safer to use than mixtures of random household chemicals.

Chances are even hairgell eould work for a few hours, or until it dries up. Using anything save for purpose made conductive paste is not a good idea. But off the top of my head, vaseline mixed with fine metal powder of some sort should also work. But really, spend the 5 bucks, get.thermal paste

Why revive this old necrotic thread?

If you are going to be a part of the computing realm, at least learn what you need to do it, and if you cannot afford legitimate thermal compound, don't remove your freaking stock cooler in the first place! :pfff:

We've seen all the tests claiming toothpaste, mayonnaise, lipstick, makeup, and a variety of household items worked, for a very short testing period, but not over time! because they dried out, no tester told you what happened after that point was reached!

Be smart, not stupid, when it comes to thermal compound, it's protecting your hardware!

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.