Ebay monitor safe?

May 12, 2018
I'm thinking about buying a monitor off ebay but I'm worried I'll end up getting dead pixels etc... Does annyone have any experience with this? Thanks for the help!!!

Solution
You can buy both new and used monitors via ebay.
I have done OK with both.

On a new monitor, look carefully for "perfect pixel" units which will have no dead pixels.
Ebay does protect buyers if your unit is not as advertised.
But, if the unit comes from china for example, returning a unit can be hard.

On used, look for reconditioned units. I would not worry too much about cosmetics, but look/ask about dead pixels.
As always on ebay, know your seller.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Who is selling it? You can be pretty sure it's not ebay, ebay is a platform where stores or individuals sell things primarily. I would base my buying decision off the sellers reputation feedback score, how long they have been a member, whether they have a return policy, etc. I have never been ripped off on ebay in my life, but I am careful who I buy from. Dont buy a monitor from someone with no feedback score who just joined ebay yesterday.

Agreed just go with a good reseller. I prefer using the larger recycler stores that sell off used/surplus IT gear. I got three matching Dell IPS 1920x1080 panels this way that were only 2 years old at the most (going by release date). They were $80 a pop when comparable new panels were about $175.

I would advise you to look up monitors. The lighting does fade. I'd only get makes and models that were released up to three years ago. Usually there is little if any price difference between a 10 year old and 2 year old monitor of the same resolution and size. But the newer one is far more energy efficient and lighter. Plus it likely had a lot less on time.

One big advantage of used monitors. They have had plenty of time to build up customer reviews. So you know what are good models.

You can buy both new and used monitors via ebay.
I have done OK with both.

On a new monitor, look carefully for "perfect pixel" units which will have no dead pixels.
Ebay does protect buyers if your unit is not as advertised.
But, if the unit comes from china for example, returning a unit can be hard.

On used, look for reconditioned units. I would not worry too much about cosmetics, but look/ask about dead pixels.
As always on ebay, know your seller.

Solution