ECGC 2011: Is the Gaming Market About to Crash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
The only reason the gaming market might "crash" is because of shitty ports and 10-15 hour games with little or no creativity. If anything devs need to start thinking about what to add to the game not subtract from it.

if a game has "RPG elements" it better be 40+ hours long. honestly i have a hard time buying a game that doesn't seem like it will have 50+ hours of gameplay, thru whatever means, like multiple play throughs or just one run.

Remember Borderlands? a far from perfect game. I spent over 250 hours playing it(both single and multiplayer) ...now that is what I'm talking about.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
I blame Sony on making the PS3 a lame duck with a harder to program SDK, one core cut out, and giving themselves a bad name by suing people that decide that they want to jailbreak the thing...

Nintendo could do more with the wii if they put DVD playback on the thing as well...

Oh, and PC rules, consoles drool...

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]jarraramjad[/nom]this guy is coo koo! i think he is mad pc market can never die cuz size matters[/citation]
Oops! Somebody forgot to read the article before commenting!

sevir

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
console gaming is in a slump because all the systems are 6 years old. That means 6 year old graphics technology. Get off your butts Sony/Microsoft and Nintendo and come out with new systems.

doyletdude

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]If consoles all died I would not mind.....[/citation]
I wouldn't mind much either but it would probably have a negative impact on the PC gaming market none the less. It's not as if as a reponse to the dieing console market, every average joe is gonna go by a gaming PC. Major companies like Bethesda and Bioware couldn't afford to make BIG budget titles we enjoy if their revenue is cut by like 75%. As long as the consoles keep feeding developers enough money to make bigger games, than maybe someday we can hope to getpast the crappy console port. But getting rid of consoles is not the solution to that problem.

sevir

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
[citation][nom]sevir[/nom]console gaming is in a slump because all the systems are 6 years old. That means 6 year old graphics technology. Get off your butts Sony/Microsoft and Nintendo and come out with new systems.[/citation]
And ill reply to myself, i dont with consoles anyway. PC is the only way to go.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
The problem is that customers are growing weary of buying the same overly hyped games every year.
95% of big budget titles are either sequels or copies of popular games. Consumers are beginning to learn that buying a new Modern Warfare clone every year is a waste of money.

G

I, for one, wouldn't want to trade epic adventures and interesting storylines that I could be playing for weeks, if not months to come, to quick-to-play Cell-phone games.

A more varied market is a good thing, but to think that maybe in, let's say 10 years, there won't be more Bioshocks, Metal Gears, TES, GTAs, Uncharted and so on it's.....scary. And depressing.

That's not evolution, imo. It would be like taking a step backwards to the 70s.

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Same reason the Music Industry is crashing - HORRIBLE products (mostly) and they charge too much for those horrible products.

And people are starting to actually LOOK at what they buy, because dollars everywhere are getting in more short supply - and they aren't just wasting them on crap anymore. Instead of buying that crappy game that will keep them busy for a week or three - they MUST put gas in their car.

edlarkin

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
Games are dying because we have seen it all, and done it all. If it was not a game it was a movie. The attraction to the arcade back in the day was stuff we had never seen before, a different social environment. the came the first consoles (mine was the Atari) great concept now I don't have to go pay to play video games. Arcade then dies. early console gave way tot he comodore 64 and amiga systems, now you can play and hack you games, atari and activision go in the trash and we bust out 5 1/4 inch floppy, jumping from 8 bit to CGA graphics was huge, now we have modems at 1200 baud!

you see where I am going with this, the market is flooded with stuff we have all seen or done, so we need someone to come out with something ultra creative to move into the next realm.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
His opinion isn't really relevant as he couldn't make it in the PC market so he jumped into the console bandwagon. He only has himself to blame. If these devs wouldn't have dilluted the gaming market buy feeding the console fire, the gaming industry would be stronger and more unified on the PC like it should be. His title list speaks for itself. Not quite shovelware, but doesn't include any "real" games either. If we could get back to where we were a few years ago, where games created memorable experiences, that would get the industry back on track, not the tripe he is spewing: monetization - (just what we whan, more MMORPG with monthly notes, DLC or InApp purchase mechanisms) and socialization (farmville - lol, facebook games, i just want to kill my opponents, not chat with them), or cough up another generation of consoles (yeah, like spending $400+ on the next slew of red ring death or the "not much games" Wii). I've tried consoles and I always end up back at the PC. If the gaming indusrty starts trying to ride on these one hit wonders like farmville, angry birds and crap like that, then the real gamers will get bored and move onto something else.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]sevir[/nom]console gaming is in a slump because all the systems are 6 years old. That means 6 year old graphics technology. Get off your butts Sony/Microsoft and Nintendo and come out with new systems.[/citation]

You are assuming that the average household at this time can afford a brand new console. If lets say any of the big three today released their console today realistically its going to retail for $300 or more.
Then there are other costs to consider as well, the games and accessories. So even if accessories were skipped and the average household purchased four games this would be $540 or more. Waiting to release or even come up with final specs at this point is safer and I can't say I blame them for doing so.

I truly hope he is incorrect about the possible future of even more money milking from the consumer after the games initial sale. I for one cannot stand DLC even more so when its DLC released at the same time as the game meaning the work was already completed and is a simple ploy to get money for what should be the complete game. I'll buy a true expansion pack anyday, but to charge me $5 for a extra gun, I think I will pass.

I do foresee times getting even harder for game devs and publishers,
there are already so many fish in a small tank and many of them are quite large the few sprinkles of food isn't going to feed everyone and surprisingly at this time its the smallest of fish doing overall better.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]If consoles all died I would not mind.....[/citation]
console gaming is over-rated...i hope that the game market does crash and developers will start developing for PC again :)....like it used to be about 8 years ago

jazn1337

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Gaming isn't dying. It's got great and powerful franchises. Oh and the video games industry is the largest entertainment industry, period.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]ram1009[/nom]Consoles are crap.[/citation]
very true...and very expensive, considering how old the tech is...i know that they upgraded a few things but that's because they were not properly designed in the first place, look at what happened with the xbox 360...lol

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]seller417[/nom]I agree with you scook9, i rarley play game consoles, the PC is just...better[/citation]
if the game is just ported to the pc with console graphics it's not true :(

Status
Not open for further replies.