EcoTerrorists With Bomb Arrested Near IBM Facility

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor-boom

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
"Being against micro-technology"... Maybe because it's what I'm working on every single day (and so retro, we call it nanotechnology nowadays), but I don't parse that! How can some one be so ignorant to be against something which... exist in nature... How do they think snails shells are made (nano-scale assembly)... How do they think gecko feet functions or lotus leaves...

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]Idiots.... Nano Tech could be wonderful for us.[/citation]
Or if not for, then at least for our robot overlords.

bloody llama

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
And this is what happens when people take Avatar seriously, rather than just laugh at its' plot and marvel at its' special effects.

wolfseeker2828

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
According to DM, Swiss media reported that the intended bombing was planned to coincide with a secret meeting of European anarchists on April 16 and 17 in the Swiss town of Winterthur.

Two questions, 1. how did they know about the secret meeting, and 2. since when are anarchists organized?

dgingeri

Distinguished
Sounds to me like and irked AIX or Notes admin. With how buggy their software is, I'm surprised they haven't been bombed all over the world repeatedly already. It really is a PITA to administer any IBM product.

enlargedhousecats

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Eco-terrorists my eye! They didn't even take into account the toll on the environment the production of that bomb had, or the the air pollution from the smoke and dust, or the destruction of nearby plants and animals. And that car probably wasn't electric!

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Article[/nom]a secret meeting of European anarchists [/citation]
This piece just seems all wrong to me! Are they really anarchists if they plan and hold meetings? I mean anarchy is supposed to be about chaotic unpredictability without any central form of goverment right?

Von Death

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
[citation][nom]wolfseeker2828[/nom]Two questions, 1. how did they know about the secret meeting, and 2. since when are anarchists organized?[/citation]
1. Most fringe groups crazy enough to try something serious aren't trained intelligence operatives.
2. They hire a secretary to organize everything, then shoot her after she drafts a good plan.

Anarchists could probably be cured with a healthy dose of Left 4 Dead teamwork trials.

rebb

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
I wonder if their bomb would have ever been detected if it was constructed with IBM's state of the art nanotechnology. IBM says "All your base are belong to us!"

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]I'm interested to hear why they chose IBM as a target. There must be more environmentally damaging companies out there than IBM.[/citation]
Face it, if you are mad enough to try and get your point acrosss using explosives, then making rational decisions probably isn't high up on their skill set.

raymi

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Not wanting to make any difference between islamic extremists that use fear to overthrow a government by killing innocent civilians on purpose and people that want to blow a building (probably empty) is really dangerous and isn't working towards a better comprehension of these acts.
As for anarchists, no they are not against organisation and it's a complete lack of knowledge of this movement to say that they are for chaos. Anarchy doesn't mean chaos. Absence of government doesn't mean lack of organisation.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
OK, back to the point, they must be out of their tiny fucking minds.

If you want to be an Eco Terrorist and use a bomb to send a message, why not blow up the Exxon head office, or Shell, or some other oil company.

Blowing up a computer company building... errr... why?????????

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]If you want to be an Eco Terrorist and use a bomb to send a message, why not blow up the Exxon head office, or Shell, or some other oil company.[/citation]

Shell is actually considered to be an environmentally friendly company.

Dirty Durden

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
They say the Tea Parties & the Right are the dangerous. Could you image if these guys were from the right (U.S.A. Right not E.U. Right) or part of the Tea Party. CNN & MSNBC would be reporting this every 5 mins non-stop for weeks & months.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]Shell is actually considered to be an environmentally friendly company.[/citation]
I certainly hope you mean in relative terms, as in more environmentally friendly than, for example, the Exxon Valdez after it dumped 10 million gallons of oil in the water.

It is an oil company, it drills big fucking holes in the ground, pumps up millions of barrels of the black stuff and refines it so that you can drive your fat ass to work everyday and choke the planet to death.

If Shell was to spend its entire lifetime gained assets and move into the job of planting trees and finding a way to make fusion work properly then then it could make up for 103 years of inexorabley turning the world into a giant steaming turd, then, maybe, it could be called environmentally friendly.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]I certainly hope you mean in relative terms, as in more environmentally friendly than, for example, the Exxon Valdez after it dumped 10 million gallons of oil in the water.It is an oil company, it drills big fucking holes in the ground, pumps up millions of barrels of the black stuff and refines it so that you can drive your fat ass to work everyday and choke the planet to death.If Shell was to spend its entire lifetime gained assets and move into the job of planting trees and finding a way to make fusion work properly then then it could make up for 103 years of inexorabley turning the world into a giant steaming turd, then, maybe, it could be called environmentally friendly.[/citation]

While Shell has made some mistakes, they have realized that it is more profitable to try to protect the environment than to destroy it.

For example, their location in Papua New Guinea is pristine wilderness. Biologists going to the island to conduct research have commented on how the ecosystem is being destroyed on large parts of the island, but that the large piece of land that Shell owns is pretty much a wildlife preserve. Even the single road through most of the area is a small single lane dirt track, not the sprawling clear cut that most companies have. The locals had chased out the 2 previous oil companies that had tried to drill in the area due to their environmental practices and Shell has realized that they need to work with communities in order to get reliable access to their oil.

Shell is by no means perfect, but they are leaders for environmental responsibility in the oil industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.