News ECS' New H410 Thin Mini-ITX Motherboard Doesn't Need a Power Supply

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I was going to complain that this article is lacking pics of any sexy thin mini-ITX cases. However, I'm having trouble even finding any, so I guess that's fair.

Still, some of the most un-PC looking cases I've seen are thin mini-ITX cases.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Is it expected that suitable cases come with built-in CPU coolers? Otherwise the low profile of the motherboard would be of little use, right?

w_barath

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
a powersupply by any other color is still a powersupply. :)

I think the author's point is that it doesn't require a standard ATX power supply.

Most of us have 2-3 retired laptops that we can pilfer the 19V charger from. The main problem is the compatibility of the jack, and can be solved easily enough by chopping off the plug and soldering it directly to the mobo, or splicing on the appropriate plug.

This isn't a mainstream product. It's basically for people who want to hide a PC in something slim, so simple mods like that will be well within the comfort zone of the target market.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
I was going to complain that this article is lacking pics of any sexy thin mini-ITX cases. However, I'm having trouble even finding any, so I guess that's fair.

Still, some of the most un-PC looking cases I've seen are thin mini-ITX cases.

it is better to use normal height itx cases even for thin itx motherboards , it will give you at least a standard 1U cooler unlike thin one that needs notebook grade heatpipe coolers.

anyways thin itx come with itx brackets to fit inside itx case.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Standar non slim ITX motherboards should come with external 19V port as standard in addition to the ATX connectors .. the only thing that stops this from happening is the 5V problem , once the new ATX12V becomes standard expect all motherboards to have 19V port at the i/o with ease ...

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Is it expected that suitable cases come with built-in CPU coolers? Otherwise the low profile of the motherboard would be of little use, right?
I doubt it. You can get some really flat heatsinks.

Here's one example of a Thin mini-ITX case:

It has an internal fan that looks like it could blow across a passive CPU heatsink, like you often find in servers.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
This isn't a mainstream product.
It's not mainstream, but it's also not non-standard. I gather they might've been more common before NUC-style mini-PCs gained popularity.

Anyway, PCPartPicker lists 14 of them: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#f=17

As far as I can see, none of them support Skylake or newer CPUs. Maybe that explains why I'm having trouble finding examples of cases for them. Perhaps that's also the most notable feature of this one - the Comet Lake CPU support.