Edifier Intros Portable AIO Speaker System

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickl7069

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
2 watts of power for a portable party machine? Are they kidding? Unless it's worth breaking out a REAL system and hooking it up to a laptop, stick with earmuffs. Don't show up to a party of mine and hook this crap up, I'll provide better.

LukeCWM

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
two full range 1.25-inch drivers on each channel
* Frequency response: 20Hz - 20KHz Distortion: ≤1%

Anyone else irritated that apparently all consumer speakers and headphones advertise 20Hz - 20KHz when that is so far from the truth? With 1.25-inch "full-range" drivers, they'll be lucky to get 130Hz - 12KHz, and there will be massive peaks and dips in the frequency response.

Every frequency specification needs to be fitted with a scale, like +-3dB or +-6dB. Anything else is pure bloated advertising and is meaningless.

LukeCWM

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Also, this looks like the "Me too!" to the JamBox. My father has a JamBox that he takes with him when he travels. No matter what the marketing hype and ignorant reviews say, it still sounds bad, like a $30 set of Logitech speakers (even though you pay $200). But the convenience of being battery powered and connectable by Bluetooth is undeniably cool.

If you want decent sound on the cheap, get some low-cost bookshelf speakers. Polk and Pioneer have speakers are sold frequently on sales that dip as cheap as $50/pr. Couple that with any simple receiver/amplifier made in the past 40 years, and turn off all "enhancements" and other marketing gimmicks. And if you want some bass, get a cheap Hsu Research subwoofer and you will be amazed at its value. Or if you're very tight on money, go with the $100 Polk subwoofer. The resulting system will sound better than any computer speaker package, home-theater-in-a-box package, or iPod dock of any brand no matter the price.

A "passive radiator" is a speaker without a magnet and voice coil. It is used to give you "more" sound in the bass region(it replaced use of a port). It comes at a cost of overall volume vs a ported speaker, but works well if setup right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive_radiator_%28speaker%29

EDIT.

And just so everyone knows, Back in the day(before inflated numbers), 2 watts RMS could actually be fairly loud. And a 60 watt x 2 RMS stereo would piss off the neighbors with ease(without even pushing 1/4 of its total power).

Status
Not open for further replies.