Question Edit VRAM size for a fake GT 610 ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 22, 2024
Hi, I bought an Afox GT 610 2GB graphics card a few years ago and have been using it.
Some time ago I found out that this graphics card is a fake and the actual VRAM is only 512MB, and since I bought it, it has been crashing sometimes.
Also, its graphics processor is G84, which is fakely written as GF119!
Please help me to show the actual size of the graphics card by modifying the BIOS.
Thank you very much!
This image is the graphics chip and VRAMs and the BIOS file.

the Board Image

The BIOS File

Last edited:
Solution
I'm glad that my post made you happy but I'm sorry that it didn't solve the problem.

There is a problem with the GPU being a G84. Here is a pic of an AFOX "GT 610":
20210927095751293.png

If the pic doesn't load for you, click here.
I verified on their site that the outputs on this card are VGA, DVI-I and HDMI.

The problem with this configuration, from what I can tell, is that no G84-based card has an HDMI port. They all have a combination of DVI, VGA and S-Video. Having different outputs would definitely change the BIOS so that could be why they're not working. I've looked at all of the G84 cards and none of them have an HDMI port. The only way that this could...
Mar 22, 2024
Unfortunately, there's nothing that you can do. I always recommend that people buy their video cards based on hardware spec because the GPU and VRAM a card is born with is the same GPU and VRAM it dies with. Software features can always be added and/or updated so they're less of a selling point to me.

If that card was born with 512MB, I'm afraid that it will die with 512MB.
I know that I cannot increase the capacity of this graphics card, and I have no problem with 512 MB.
My main problem is that the fake capacity of 2048 MB of this card is displayed.
I want its real capacity, 512 MB, to be displayed.

Reactions: Avro Arrow

jordanbuilds1

Proper
Jan 16, 2024
1-I don't do heavy work, sometimes I do light 2D or 3D design,which is also done with iGPU but slower.
2- I am ready to take risks
3- system with 6gb ram & 4core CPU
tbh, you would be better of with a gtx 750 (or rx 460 for amd) for stuff like that. also 6gb of ram isnt great, another 2 gbs wouldnt be that bad. another thing as avro said, 512 mb is max for this gpu. thats what i ment by doing that will brick it. if you have the cpu model that woukd help a ton. if you were buying a new gpu what would your budget be? quadro cards are around gt 610 teritory in price, but preform 1000x better.

Reactions: safecv
This may be the first time I've ever seen a cheap, fake GPU described as a souvenir.
It could be to remind him to always be wary of listings that seem too good to be true. ;)
Thank you.
This a Screenshot from GPU-Z:
GPU-Z Screen Shot
I have tried many bios of the original gt610 but none of them show the image.
I wouldn't trust what GPU-Z shows in this case because it also shows 2048MB which is false. @SkyNetRising made a good point with this post:
No. It's not so easy to fake writings on gpu die.
It most likely is real GT 610, but with 512MB option.
GPU-Z is reading info from card BIOS (fake altered BIOS).
^^^ I agree with this. ^^^ (Except that I don't think it's a GT 610 which I'll explain.)

Now, I was looking up and down the GF119 listings on TechPowerUp's GPU database but I can't find a 512MB version of the GT 610 so I don't think that you have a GT 610.

What I did find were the GT 605 OEM, GT 620 OEM and NVS 310 cards that had that GPU and VRAM configuration. Since you've already seen the GPU itself, this is TechPowerUp's picture of the GF119/GF119S (they look identical):
93-default.jpg

I really don't think that you have the NVS 310 because it only has two DisplayPorts on it. The GT 605 OEM and GT 620 OEM both look identical with the VGA, DVI and HDMI ports that are more typically found on consumer-grade video cards of the time. The only real difference that I could find being the core clocks. The GT 520 OEM has a core clock of 810MHz which is way higher (too high, in fact) than the 540MHz core clock shown in your GPU-Z data. The GT 605 OEM however is listed with a core clock of 523MHz. The 17MHz difference is insignificant so I must assume that you really have a GT 605 OEM card.

The card itself looks like this:
359-front.jpg

TechPowerUp has only one BIOS listing for this card and it is unverified but, at this point, you don't really have anything to lose so you may as well try it out:

Shenzen Bitland GT 605 512 MB BIOS

The VRAM is correct and so too is the core clock so if I were a betting man and had to choose one BIOS to try on your card, this would be it.

This is actually the first fake GT 610 I've come across. Usually, this is a GPU they fake as *other* GPUs. What would a too good to be true GT 610 be? Free with purchase of a sandwich?
I couldn't agree more Big D, but I don't think that the fake was so much about it being a GT 610 (although it clearly isn't). I think that the fake was more about having 2GB of VRAM. They basically took a card that nobody would pay more than $20 because it only has 512MB and turned it into a card that appeared to offer great value because it appeared to have 2GB. A 2GB card could easily sell for $50.

They basically turned nothing into something. If it took them an hour to do this BIOS "revision", then they just paid themselves $30/hr. That's what I think happened here.

USAFRet

Titan
I couldn't agree more Big D, but I don't think that the fake was so much about it being a GT 610 (although it clearly isn't). I think that the fake was more about having 2GB of VRAM. They basically took a card that nobody would pay more than $20 because it only has 512MB and turned it into a card that appeared to offer great value because it appeared to have 2GB. A 2GB card could easily sell for $50.

They basically turned nothing into something. If it took them an hour to do this BIOS "revision", then they just paid themselves $30/hr. That's what I think happened here.
For the person selling this, it was not a one-off.

They obtained the BIOS flash from somewhere, and the GPUs at deep discount from somewhere else.

They do not spend an hour per card doing this.

Mar 22, 2024
tbh, you would be better of with a gtx 750 (or rx 460 for amd) for stuff like that. also 6gb of ram isnt great, another 2 gbs wouldnt be that bad. another thing as avro said, 512 mb is max for this gpu. thats what i ment by doing that will brick it. if you have the cpu model that woukd help a ton. if you were buying a new gpu what would your budget be? quadro cards are around gt 610 teritory in price, but preform 1000x better.
Right now, my priority is to modify the BIOS of this graphics card, but if I still don't succeed after a lot of effort, I will probably follow your advice and buy a cheap graphics card from the Quadro or GTX series.

Reactions: jordanbuilds1
Mar 22, 2024
It could be to remind him to always be wary of listings that seem too good to be true. ;)

I wouldn't trust what GPU-Z shows in this case because it also shows 2048MB which is false. @SkyNetRising made a good point with this post:

^^^ I agree with this. ^^^ (Except that I don't think it's a GT 610 which I'll explain.)

Now, I was looking up and down the GF119 listings on TechPowerUp's GPU database but I can't find a 512MB version of the GT 610 so I don't think that you have a GT 610.

What I did find were the GT 605 OEM, GT 620 OEM and NVS 310 cards that had that GPU and VRAM configuration. Since you've already seen the GPU itself, this is TechPowerUp's picture of the GF119/GF119S (they look identical):
93-default.jpg

I really don't think that you have the NVS 310 because it only has two DisplayPorts on it. The GT 605 OEM and GT 620 OEM both look identical with the VGA, DVI and HDMI ports that are more typically found on consumer-grade video cards of the time. The only real difference that I could find being the core clocks. The GT 520 OEM has a core clock of 810MHz which is way higher (too high, in fact) than the 540MHz core clock shown in your GPU-Z data. The GT 605 OEM however is listed with a core clock of 523MHz. The 17MHz difference is insignificant so I must assume that you really have a GT 605 OEM card.

The card itself looks like this:
359-front.jpg

TechPowerUp has only one BIOS listing for this card and it is unverified but, at this point, you don't really have anything to lose so you may as well try it out:

Shenzen Bitland GT 605 512 MB BIOS

The VRAM is correct and so too is the core clock so if I were a betting man and had to choose one BIOS to try on your card, this would be it.
First of all, this post made me happy.
After removing the heatsink of the graphics card, the first thing that caught my attention was the writing on the graphics chip. If you look closely at the NVIDIA logo, you will notice that this logo is different from the NVIDIA logos written on the original GF119 chip.
Also, the arrangement of the small parts on this chip is different from the photos of the GF119 chip on the Internet,
And my graphics card chip looks similar to G84.
I'll try the bios you linked when I get a chance, but it doesn't seem to work.

For the person selling this, it was not a one-off.

They obtained the BIOS flash from somewhere, and the GPUs at deep discount from somewhere else.

They do not spend an hour per card doing this.
I was just guesstimating, but it still stands to reason. If they've got a lot of these and they're doing this "mod" quickly, then they can easily snag some quick cash from it because nobody is going to expect that a lowly GT 610 would be faked.

It's like counterfeiting $5 bills, it's nothing that anyone would expect. ;)

First of all, this post made me happy.
I'm glad that my post made you happy but I'm sorry that it didn't solve the problem.
After removing the heatsink of the graphics card, the first thing that caught my attention was the writing on the graphics chip. If you look closely at the NVIDIA logo, you will notice that this logo is different from the NVIDIA logos written on the original GF119 chip.
Also, the arrangement of the small parts on this chip is different from the photos of the GF119 chip on the Internet,
And my graphics card chip looks similar to G84.
I'll try the bios you linked when I get a chance, but it doesn't seem to work.
20210927095751293.png

The problem with this configuration, from what I can tell, is that no G84-based card has an HDMI port. They all have a combination of DVI, VGA and S-Video. Having different outputs would definitely change the BIOS so that could be why they're not working. I've looked at all of the G84 cards and none of them have an HDMI port. The only way that this could be a G84 is if they took a mobile GPU and built their own card and BIOS around it. If that's the case, you're royally screwed because you won't find a BIOS that is compatible with a G84-based card sporting an HDMI port.

If your card looks different from the picture there, could you please post it with a side image and a picture of the outputs on the back. If it looks the same then I'm out of ideas.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024

20210927095751293.png

The problem with this configuration, from what I can tell, is that no G84-based card has an HDMI port. They all have a combination of DVI, VGA and S-Video. Having different outputs would definitely change the BIOS so that could be why they're not working. I've looked at all of the G84 cards and none of them have an HDMI port. The only way that this could be a G84 is if they took a mobile GPU and built their own card and BIOS around it. If that's the case, you're royally screwed because you won't find a BIOS that is compatible with a G84-based card sporting an HDMI port.

If your card looks different from the picture there, could you please post it with a side image and a picture of the outputs on the back. If it looks the same then I'm out of ideas.
Hello again, your previous post motivated me even more.
And now I must say that after many efforts and numerous manipulations of the hex file, I solved the problem!
I thank you and all the people who accompanied me in this thread.
In the BIOS hex file, I set the value 906601 at address 0000C683
I changed to 904401 and now my graphics card works with its actual capacity of 512 MB.
At 906600, the middle digit sets the VRAM size, which is like this for my card:
88= 8192 MB
77=4096 MB
66=2048 MB
55= 1024 MB
44= 512 MB
33= 256 MB
22= 128 MB
Also, the entries in the address 000000EE are to specify the Board ID, ,, 4A10=104A=GT610

and this a ScreenShot:
LINK OF SCREEN SHOT FROM MODIFIED FAKE GT610

This a Edited BIOS Download Link:
AFOX GT610 FAKE to REAL

Last edited:
Reactions: Avro Arrow
Solution
Hello again, your previous post motivated me even more.
And now I must say that after many efforts and numerous manipulations of the hex file, I solved the problem!
I thank you and all the people who accompanied me in this thread.
In the BIOS hex file, I set the value 906601 at address 0000C683
I changed to 904401 and now my graphics card works with its actual capacity of 512 MB.
At 906600, the middle digit sets the VRAM size, which is like this for my card:
77=4098 MB
66=2048 MB
55= 1024 MB
44= 512 MB
33= 256 MB

and this a ScreenShot:
LINK OF SCREEN SHOT FROM MODIFIED FAKE GT610

I will probably post the modified file soon.
You're a smarter man than I am because I wouldn't have thought of that. So, the BIOS you modified, what was it originally for (or is it the BIOS that came with it)?

I meant a picture of the card itself but it doesn't matter now. You've figured it out! ;) (y)