editing question

Mr_Ed

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004

Is there a hardware device to feed exposed digital video cassette tape
directly into my computer for editing/DVD burning, without having to remove
my camcorder from a carefully arranged setup (photographing macro world of
insects) to use for this purpose? mr_ed@access-4-free.com.

mr_ed wrote:
> Is there a hardware device to feed exposed digital video cassette tape
> directly into my computer for editing/DVD burning, without having to
> remove my camcorder from a carefully arranged setup (photographing
> macro world of insects) to use for this purpose?
> mr_ed@access-4-free.com.

Why not just run a firewire cable straight into your computer? Several of
the current NLEs have some sort of time-lapse option for capturing.

Mike

Mr_Ed

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004

My camcorder is set up away from my home in a wasp hive . I'd rather not
disturb the setup or the wasps. I want to be able to simply remove the tape,
insert a new one, and do the editing on my computer. The wasps don't seem to
mind when I approach and make simple adjustments but the logistics of
locating the corder, focusing etc., is time consuming and agitates the
insects.
"Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> mr_ed wrote:
> > Is there a hardware device to feed exposed digital video cassette tape
> > directly into my computer for editing/DVD burning, without having to
> > remove my camcorder from a carefully arranged setup (photographing
> > macro world of insects) to use for this purpose?
> > mr_ed@access-4-free.com.
>

> Why not just run a firewire cable straight into your computer? Several of
> the current NLEs have some sort of time-lapse option for capturing.
>
> Mike

Then I guess you'll either need a deck or another camera.. Are you using
Hi8? MiniDV? Might can find a used one w/firewire.

--

Dave Jones
Independent Video Productions

"Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> mr_ed wrote:
> > Is there a hardware device to feed exposed digital video cassette tape
> > directly into my computer for editing/DVD burning, without having to
> > remove my camcorder from a carefully arranged setup (photographing
> > macro world of insects) to use for this purpose?
> > mr_ed@access-4-free.com.
>

> Why not just run a firewire cable straight into your computer? Several of
> the current NLEs have some sort of time-lapse option for capturing.
>
> Mike

"mr_ed" wrote ...
> Is there a hardware device to feed exposed digital video
> cassette tape directly into my computer for editing/DVD
> burning, without having to remove my camcorder from a
> carefully arranged setup (photographing macro world of
> insects) to use for this purpose?

A separate device to play the tape on while capturing on
your computer. i.e. another camcorder or a VCR.

Note that there are also very long Firewire cables available
if you want to capture directly to computer.

Rich

"mr_ed" <mr_ed@access-4-free.com> wrote in message
> Is there a hardware device to feed exposed digital video cassette tape
> directly into my computer for editing/DVD burning, without having to
remove
> my camcorder from a carefully arranged setup (photographing macro world of
> insects) to use for this purpose? mr_ed@access-4-free.com.

When I first needed a Firewire cable a friend offered to loan me one. It
was a 10 meter cable (33 feet). Worked great I could capture/transfer/copy
directly from my camcorder to my PC. I don't know what the limit of
Firewire is (IEEE 1394). If your camcorder allows this (and I guess many
do) you wouldn't need to even have a tape in it. In fact my camcorder does
not allow me to do that with a tape inserted.

Rich

In news:mr_ed <mr_ed@access-4-free.com> typed:
> Is there a hardware device to feed exposed digital video cassette tape
> directly into my computer for editing/DVD burning, without having to
> remove my camcorder from a carefully arranged setup (photographing
> macro world of insects) to use for this purpose?

There are dual VCR, like this one
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=248591&is=REG&si=acc#goto_itemInfo
(watch the line wrap) which does VHS, SVHS and DV, trough analog or
firewire connection. Unfortunately they are quite expensive, so you can
probably get another camcorder for less money. On the plus side, they
make dubbing DV tape or file to VHS a breeze, and since TV station
around here (could be different in other area) only accept demo on VHS
or Beta/Betacam tape, it might be a viable option.

--
www.odysea.ca

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

"mr_ed" <mr_ed@access-4-free.com> wrote:

>Is there a hardware device to feed exposed digital video cassette tape
>directly into my computer for editing/DVD burning, without having to remove
>my camcorder from a carefully arranged setup (photographing macro world of
>insects) to use for this purpose? mr_ed@access-4-free.com.

Either use a cable to a firewire card in your computer and control it
with software, or remote control if this came with your camera.

Regards Brian