Question Editing streams in Vegas Pro corrupts audio ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Effe

Commendable
Aug 15, 2020
Software: Vegas Pro 16.0

So this is kinda hard to explain but when Im editing my streams downloaded from twitch, when I reproduce the first 5-6 seconds it sounds normal but then its like the audio gets corrupted or something. I tried opening the same file with windows' movies & tv, windows media player and the audio seems to be ok, no problem at all. Btw, is not the first time that i run into this issue.

Frank Effe

Commendable
Aug 15, 2020
UPDATE: i tried opening the files with VLC, and i got a similar result to vegas, same 5-6 seconds where everything seems to be ok then goes silent. I thought it could be a copyright thing w/ audio but i checked in twitch's video producer and it didn't show any piece of the stream muted

This is hard to comment on without seeing the stream file. If you could upload it somewhere we could see what's happening. My thought: try opening the file in the Audacity audio editor where the entire audio stream would be visible. If it looks and plays OK resave the audio in .wav wave uncompressed format file. (There's no sense in resaving it in another compressed format until the final video is rendered). Then try deleting the original audio in Vegas and replacing it with the saved .wav audio file.

Frank Effe

Commendable
Aug 15, 2020
This is hard to comment on without seeing the stream file. If you could upload it somewhere we could see what's happening. My thought: try opening the file in the Audacity audio editor where the entire audio stream would be visible. If it looks and plays OK resave the audio in .wav wave uncompressed format file. (There's no sense in resaving it in another compressed format until the final video is rendered). Then try deleting the original audio in Vegas and replacing it with the saved .wav audio file.
i followed your advice, and this keeps getting more and more strange: From a 1:39:15 stream audacity shows me the first 10 seconds only. i tried with 2 different streams and i got the same result.

PS: Im attaching two drive links that contain info about the stream's audio.
Image 1Image 2

Last edited:
i followed your advice, and this keeps getting more and more strange: From a 1:39:15 stream audacity shows me the first 10 seconds only. i tried with 2 different streams and i got the same result.
If these are freely available streams you could post a link and others could try downloading them to see what's going on. Since I'm not a twitch member and don't normally see their streams live or otherwise, I don't know much about them in their native real time format. The only twitch streams I see are already edited by someone else and reposted to other websites. Perhaps you could tell us how your capture these streams and there might be a clue there on how they are becoming damaged in the process. If I want to capture such things I use a program called Replay Media Capture which saves streams to their native broadcast format. But I have no idea if that works for Twitch. If you know of any way to test the Twitch streams for free non-members, you could let us know and some of us could try that.

Frank Effe

Commendable
Aug 15, 2020
If these are freely available streams you could post a link and others could try downloading them to see what's going on. Since I'm not a twitch member and don't normally see their streams live or otherwise, I don't know much about them in their native real time format. The only twitch streams I see are already edited by someone else and reposted to other websites. Perhaps you could tell us how your capture these streams and there might be a clue there on how they are becoming damaged in the process. If I want to capture such things I use a program called Replay Media Capture which saves streams to their native broadcast format. But I have no idea if that works for Twitch. If you know of any way to test the Twitch streams for free non-members, you could let us know and some of us could try that.
as far as i know nobody except the owner of the streams can download them. I capture my streams with OBS when im live, but i dont record it. When i want to upload on youtube an old stream i simply go to twitch's panel, I click download and that's it (picture attached). Idk if its useful, but in my other reply i attached two screenshots with the stream audio's specification.
Downloading from Twitch

as far as i know nobody except the owner of the streams can download them. I capture my streams with OBS when im live, but i dont record it. When i want to upload on youtube an old stream i simply go to twitch's panel, I click download and that's it (picture attached). Idk if its useful, but in my other reply i attached two screenshots with the stream audio's specification.
Downloading from Twitch
I notice there are two options, Download and Export. I am wondering what the difference is. Do they give you any options on download or export format? I also noticed that if I go to Twitch.tv there appear to be some streams I can access for free so I will examine what's going on there and see what options there are. If there are any freely accessible streams let me know what a good one is.

I notice there are two options, Download and Export. I am wondering what the difference is. Do they give you any options on download or export format? I also noticed that if I go to Twitch.tv there appear to be some streams I can access for free so I will examine what's going on there and see what options there are. If there are any freely accessible streams let me know what a good one is.
OK, so I loaded up my preferred capture software, Replay Media Capture and it downloaded a few streams automatically. I captured the first listed stream, some guy named Fextralife playing Lost Ark. It worked fine for me and there are no problems with the recordings. I did notice that for these free streams, the video frame rate is variable rather than constant and the audio bitrate mode is also variable. These do not seem to be a problem in my preferred Movavi video editor or in the Media Classic Home Cinema player.

Frank Effe

Commendable
Aug 15, 2020
The difference is simple: While Download gives you access to the streams file to download it, Export its a tool for youtube creators to export straight away the whole stream. The bad thing about this is that you cant edit it, because as soon as it gets exported youtube will upload it to your channel... its useless for me because i have to cut pieces of the stream and sometimes add subtitles to it. btw, in almost 2 years of twitch i had no idea that you could download streams being a viewer. i guess you learn something new everyday

Reactions: dwd999
Status
Not open for further replies.