Not open for further replies.

bearracuda

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
Without DimensionM:
"I love recess mom, I got to hit timmy with a stick!"
"That's nice dear."

With DimensionM:
"I love school, mom, I know prime numbers now, and I got to shoot a goop gun in the computer!"
"THOSE MONSTERS! HOW DARE THEY CORRUPT MY CHILD!?"

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I had an 3rd person, umm, eater(?) when I was in school. NUMBER MUNCHER FOREVER!!!

Man that used to get competitive: Who competed for computer time, who competed for score etc...

I have fond memory of those 8-colored Texas Instruments cartridge-based computers... Good times...

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
God forbid these parents actually practice discipline in their homes and monitor their game playing or habits. The school actually does something the students like and these parents want to all over it. Hell instead of modernizing education lets keep it old school and bring back the paddle!

beckstrom12

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
If I had a FPS to learn math in middle school I believe whole heartedly I would've scored higher on test and also it would reinforce what I learned.

CoryInJapan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
Man, if its getting kids this enthusiastic about learning.Im all for it.I see no harm in it as long as they Keep PE in school and the importance of a healthy body.

Wish they would have had this in my days in elementary/jr.high.

thedreadfather

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
So the school district targets an aspect of these kids lives that they consider fun and entertaining and exploiting it for educational purposes to create a fun and educational game, the school district has managed to tick off parents? This school finally has figured out how to hype up kids up for middle school and learning (not easy, I believe) only to be shot down by a small group of ignorant parents. Disgusting.

What the hell is wrong with these parents? The kids are not killing based on the story (OH NO! NOT THE GOOP SHOOTER THAT ONLY RUNS OFF BASIC MATH OPERATIONS! IT'LL RUIN MY HAIR AND HELP YOU LEARN! THE HORROR!). The kid even said he had no idea what prime numbers were before he played the game. Go take your wasted effort and apply it for stuff that really matters, like suicide or teen pregnancy.

Just another case of one (or a few, there was no mention of how many parents) person ruining all the fun (and education) for everybody else. I guarantee that these parents have wondered/said: "You don't know X? What the hell is wrong with our educational system?"

Assmar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
Math is the enemy, we must shoot it in the face like we would a nazi, or a dinosaur, or a nazi-dinosaur.

But way back in the day when it was first introduced to the west, Algebra itself was regarded as useless abstract number games, until scholars learned how to properly apply it to the real world.

spunkymunky

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
Violent video games are only a problem if parents can't teach their children the difference between reality and play. I for one support learning through video games. FPS require full attention so mixing scholastic learning with it should mean higher retention rate faster.

omikron48

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
When I read that the DOD was backing it, I was imagining kids being taught math by computing firing solutions for projectiles. LOL

Not a bad idea too, since it involves, physics and trigonometry. Maybe a potential training tool for high school or maybe early college students. Kinda like what billiards is to engineers.

tharkis842

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Oh my god..are you fu**ing serious!? These parents should be grateful, their kids would probably be off playing GTA4 or GOW otherwise, atleast with this game they're learning valuable math skills. The teaching "games" i used in school were terrible, they made me want to skip class. I'd have payed more attention if they were more robust like this program seems to be.

beckstrom12

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Sorry one more comment. Games and school bring me back to memories, in high school I played drug wars all during math, if parents only knew what was on their own kids calculators.

lightbulbsocket

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
I think there's a much more important question that needs to be asked here. Why aren't today's youth being given the opportunity to have themselves and several of their inappropriately named friends hunt bears, ford rivers, and die of dysentery along the Oregon Trail? That's the real tragedy here.

Mennoknight

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
Yeah, they should keep them off this horrible math game and it's goo gun.

It's much safer for these kids to chainsaw up enemies on Gears of War in the hypocrisy of their own home.

Status
Not open for further replies.