EeePC Keyboard Gets Priced, Launching February

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Way overpriced for what it offers imo. After all, my mobile phone can do most of the things this will do easily, and the few things it can't can be done much better by the PC that's in front of me...
Miniature pc-like devices are nice, but not when it's supposed to be used... in front of a proper PC!

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]blackbyron[/nom]"nettop", what does that mean? Or the word is mispelled?[/citation]

A nettop is a netbook but in desktop form. Basically a byom.(bring your own monitor)

Socnom

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
meh. at that price, better to combine the cost of your eeePC with that and get an entry level gaming/entertainment laptop.

Computer_Lots

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
Didn't Apple and IBM both do this with the old tan boxes in the 80's with 5 1/2 inch floppies. They were pretty much keyboards with the computing guts underneath and an external screen. Now, why did we abandon this design.... Oh, yeah, because if you break a key on the keyboard, you have to replace your computer. Keyboards are $5 and the computer costs 100's. It just doesn't make sense.

If you need portability, then get a laptop.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
I wanted one last year, but then I tried to think of what I would use it for and couldn't come up with anything. If the price was at least $100 lower and had Nvidia's Ion inside so it could play back HD video, I would be enticed.

tapnick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This is meh to me... It doenst have any attraction to it, for me to invest in it would have to do something my netbook, phone, or pmp couldn't do already.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Probably won't appeal to computer enthusiasts but for the casual home user with a fixed desk location it has some use. Set it on your desk, plug in a monitor and go. You don't need a big box setting beside the desk and you don't need as many cables getting in the way. Quieter than a normal desk computer too.

groveborn

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
This isn't designed to be a portable device, that's a side effect. It's designed to remove a single component in the living room: the tower. This is a great device for people with only a little room, and who may want to move their computer around the house, but who would otherwise not need a little tiny laptop. It could also be very useful in business settings where you may need to tote the computer around, especially in presentations (where a laptop would work just fine...). I can see this being a popular thing.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
I can see the appeal to it. It's a relatively inexpensive way to replace an old home computer, just keep your monitor. It takes up less space and will surf the net just fine. It's a similar concept to Apple's MacMini computer, but even more all-in-one.
The battery also makes it portable. You can just pick the thing up and go to the office or someone else's home, etc.
I just wonder if they can sell enough of these things to make it profitable for them. Now the basic computing market has tablet PCs, low-cost highly portable netbooks, and more advanced smartphones too.

[citation][nom]outlw6669[/nom]Expensive but at least it is innovative.[/citation]

innovative? you must not have existed during the commodore Vic 20/64 days. those were 2 computers i know of that were a computer in a keyboard that you would connect to a TV/monitor

teknic111

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
For that price I can buy a laptop that has more power and functionality. I'd also be able to plug the laptop into a TV via hdmi. There's no room in today's market for this for that price. Maybe if it was priced around $250 there would be some hope.

I think this product will be short lived.

Status
Not open for further replies.