Effect of adding third powerline adapter

Jun 20, 2018
I have currently installed two people adapters from TP-Link (AV2000) with the latest firmware. Unfortunately I only show 400-500 mbps between the three two devices. Would adding a third on the same circuit between the two allow them to utilize a higher rate? I know devices on the same network share bandwidth. If adding the third will semi act as a repeater then I am all for it.

Jun 20, 2018

So individual speeds between nodes would not change even if closer on the circuit? That would indicate that have maxed the speed between nodes out and would not even get faster if on the same outlet even. Would my interpretation be correct?

Yes absolutely , what you're seeing is a limitation of the wiring to carry a faster signal.

Adding another point in the centre will not boost the signal/speed.

That 2gbps speed rating is a theoretical maximum.
In the real world 400-500 mbps is where they will actually top out.

Jun 20, 2018

So not so as to undermine what you state, I have worked as a network administrator for 10+ years but powerline as a media for internet transmission is not in the environments I usually work in. My house is connected via dedicated fiber and I want better connectivity for an additional access point in my house rather than relying on a 5gh or 2.4 gh backbone to carry the traffic. I tested moving the AV2000 to another room and yielded 1300Mbps and connected both to the same outlet and realized ~1940Mbps. In the case that my powerlines in my house are copper just like that found in ethernet. Some principles will still apply. Distance degrades the signal however if the addition of another node will act like a repeater I am hoping to gain enough to support ~1000Mbps to each as the total bandwidth is shared and the addition of the third will only act as a relay in a sense. I am not worried about latency as I currently am able to ping a sight in Germany from here in the US over powerline at around 12ms. I welcome all comments however the one received doesn't appear to aid in my situation. Also, I believe that you are confusing 2gbps with 2000Mbps advertised. I am only looking to have near gigabit speeds to my secondary access point and if the interlink transmission tops that then that will ensure that the bottle neck will not be the powerline adapters but rather my Nighthawks. Money is not the issue, I just rather not punch holes in my home to run CAT-5e or CAT-6.