Question Effectiveness of dual channel for 3D rendering

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
It is well known that dual channel memory configuration is preferable to single channel in most scenarios. I've also heard that the real world gain is quite small. I've often used dual channel but never bench-marked the difference.

This article https://www.hardwaretimes.com/single-channel-vs-dual-channel-ram-which-one-is-better-for-gaming/2/ says that the gain can be significant for some games. In particular, it says at the end "And if you’re gaming on integrated graphics–such as on a Ryzen APU–dual-channel memory can increase your average framerate in most games by 10-30 percent, or even more."

On the other hand, just before the quoted sentence, the article talks about adding another memory stick to make a dual channel configuration. I'm wondering which factor contributes more to the enhanced performance - the increased bandwidth or the increased amount of RAM.

I'm not a gamer and what I'd really like to know, taking the claim (and the charts) at face value, is whether the effect will be equally noticeable in 3D rendering. This could make a difference for tight-budget builds where a matched kit costs more than a single stick of the same clock speed and latency.

kanewolf

Titan
It is well known that dual channel memory configuration is preferable to single channel in most scenarios. I've also heard that the real world gain is quite small. I've often used dual channel but never bench-marked the difference.

This article https://www.hardwaretimes.com/single-channel-vs-dual-channel-ram-which-one-is-better-for-gaming/2/ says that the gain can be significant for some games. In particular, it says at the end "And if you’re gaming on integrated graphics–such as on a Ryzen APU–dual-channel memory can increase your average framerate in most games by 10-30 percent, or even more."

On the other hand, just before the quoted sentence, the article talks about adding another memory stick to make a dual channel configuration. I'm wondering which factor contributes more to the enhanced performance - the increased bandwidth or the increased amount of RAM.

I'm not a gamer and what I'd really like to know, taking the claim (and the charts) at face value, is whether the effect will be equally noticeable in 3D rendering. This could make a difference for tight-budget builds where a matched kit costs more than a single stick of the same clock speed and latency.
Bandwidth. Graphics rendering bandwidth requirements are much higher than typical CPU bandwidth requirements.
You could have a single 16GB DIMM (more than enough size for gaming) and have poor performance with integrated graphics. Two 8GB DIMMs (same available memory) would have much better performance.

Bandwidth. Graphics rendering bandwidth requirements are much higher than typical CPU bandwidth requirements.
You could have a single 16GB DIMM (more than enough size for gaming) and have poor performance with integrated graphics. Two 8GB DIMMs (same available memory) would have much better performance.
^^ This.

Specially for Ryzen, they loves dual channel over single channel (performance up lift of between 10-25% typically, but specially gaming), then for an APU fast ram, along with dual channel, could bring an uplift of 40-50% over single channel with same capacity. Ryzen APU's love fast ram. The likes of a 5600g can sync the mem with fabric clock (typically 3600mhz modules), which gives low latency and best performance. The difference between DDR2400mhz, with DDR3200mhz can be 20% in performance up lift.

Mawla

Commendable
May 21, 2021
You mention 3600MHz with a 5600G. I read in another thread (I forget which) someone asking about managing to reach "only" 3466MHz with a 5700G and 3600MHz RAM. The reply said that the OP is lucky to get a stable 3466 since the 5700G officially supports only up to 3200MHz memory.