Eight 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) Memory Kits For P67 Express, Rounded Up

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]dogofwars[/nom]I am not missing the days when you had to pay 250$ for 4MB!!![/citation]
and then with your 4mb, proceed to press F5 to load dos with minimal config just to play doom! was it "not enough base memory free" error?

[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]Just bought 8GB of Corsair Vengeance on a Newegg Shellshocker for $75.[/citation]

I've been recommending the stuff for awhile now. Seems to be a solid kit at a great price.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I remember reading that the differneces in RAM are of almost 0% importance in FPS world. It may be a different case in professional environments but for us normal people it's not important- just grab the size and brand you like and hope it's not defective. I will say though that I do look for the 1600 RAM over the 1333 though because it's just about the same price and my brain is just like that event though I know the 1600 is no better.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Yeah, I haven't seen any clear real world benches that show improvements with memory frequencies and latencies. SBM articles allude to they make a difference.
I'd love to see a new memory scaling article that evaluates sandy bridge on different memory frequencies and latencies. Gaming benchmarks should be tailored to show any difference. If that means super high-end GPUs combined with lowered game settings, so be it. Show us whether or not high speed memory has a real world benefit.

Arbie

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Even still, we'll still put it through the ringer in order to determine...

Can we hire a copy editor, please? This should be "We'll still put it through the wringer to determine..."

Sloppy writing abounds in sites like Tom's, making them very tiring to read. You are journalists, after all, so a little attention to grammar and style can be expected from you, and would be appreciated.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Nice, now what about triple channel RAM?[/citation]What about it? X58 is old and we're getting its replacement soon, with quad-channel.[citation][nom]Blehhh[/nom]mushkin ?[/citation]Send some? Seriously, they didn't.[citation][nom]hixbot[/nom]Yeah, I haven't seen any clear real world benches that show improvements with memory frequencies and latencies. SBM articles allude to they make a difference.I'd love to see a new memory scaling article that evaluates sandy bridge on different memory frequencies and latencies. Gaming benchmarks should be tailored to show any difference. If that means super high-end GPUs combined with lowered game settings, so be it. Show us whether or not high speed memory has a real world benefit.[/citation]Yes, there's one SBM test that showed a big difference when every other bottleneck in the entire system was reduced. This was more of a "real-world" test. In fact I even left out Far Cry 2 because the large benefits of high-performance RAM happen at insane frame rates.

pinkfloydminnesota

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Actually microcenter has the kingston at $95 plus a twenty dollar rebate, lower than your advertisers price which is the one you mention in the article.

You should say lowest price among our advertisers.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]pinkfloydminnesota[/nom]Actually microcenter has the kingston at $95 plus a twenty dollar rebate, lower than your advertisers price which is the one you mention in the article. You should say lowest price among our advertisers.[/citation]Which advertiser? I did a web search. Please remove the tin-foil hat.

This proves absolutely nothing new, everyone already knew 1600 CAS 9 @ 1.50v is the LGA 1155 Sandy Bridge sweat-spot.

Here's a much more informative review since 'January' -> http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/memory/2011/01/11/the-best-memory-for-sandy-bridge/1

That Value-O-Meter is WAY-OFF via OMISSION! I do agree 8GB (2X4GB) is the best choice for Gaming.

Major Problems - in the Forum many of those 2x(2X4GB) {** 16GB setup} kits will not work at Rated Frequencies once combined with a second matching set of the same. Second problem, the Sandy Bridge is specifically designed for 1.50v RAM and not 1.60v or 1.65v kits. Longterm it places unnecessary stain on the CPU's IMC; therefore stick with 1.50v kits.

Best Bang for the buck:
$99 2x4GB G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 1600 MHz 9-9-9-24-2T @ 1.50v **

$210 4x4GB CORSAIR Vengeance CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B 1600 MHz 9-9-9-24-2T @ 1.50v

G

I'm just happy someone bother do the testing and great info. If you have complaint lacking some####### do the test your own and post it here.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]pinkfloydminnesota[/nom]It just seems to me that you never include microcenter and always include neweggs prices even when the former's are lower.[/citation]Why doesn't Microcenter show up in Google Product Search or Pricegrabber?

hangfirew8

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]Why doesn't Microcenter show up in Google Product Search or Pricegrabber?[/citation]

Because they don't have Google checkout, otherwise pay Google, or set up the necessary interfaces to Pricegrabber.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]hangfirew8[/nom]Because they don't have Google checkout, otherwise pay Google, or set up the necessary interfaces to Pricegrabber.[/citation]OK, I went there, what a waste of time. The memory they're selling for $95 isn't the same stuff, and the stuff they're selling is available for $90 elsewhere. Plus, other companies have the same rebate.

So I'm going to ask pinkfloydminnesota to refrain from commenting...forever.

bossy

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Does anyone know what the difference is between the CORSAIR 8GB (2 x 4GB) Vengeance 1600Mhz C9 9-9-9-24 and the CORSAIR 8GB (2 x 4GB) Vengeance C8
1600Mhz C8 8-8-8-24?
And what is the best for gaming?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]bossy[/nom]Does anyone know what the difference is between the CORSAIR 8GB (2 x 4GB) Vengeance 1600Mhz C9 9-9-9-24 and the CORSAIR 8GB (2 x 4GB) Vengeance C81600Mhz C8 8-8-8-24? And what is the best for gaming?[/citation]Those are latency numbers, 8 is less than 9 so the memory is quicker.

bossy

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
@crashman

What would I buy for a high end gaming pc? the CORSAIR 8GB (2 x 4GB) Vengeance C81600Mhz C8 8-8-8-24 or the CORSAIR 8GB (3 x 4GB) Vengeance 1600Mhz C9 9-9-9-24.
The 12 gb c9 is only 30 € more expensive then the 8 gb c8 RAM

THX

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]bossy[/nom]@crashmanWhat would I buy for a high end gaming pc? the CORSAIR 8GB (2 x 4GB) Vengeance C81600Mhz C8 8-8-8-24 or the CORSAIR 8GB (3 x 4GB) Vengeance 1600Mhz C9 9-9-9-24.The 12 gb c9 is only 30 € more expensive then the 8 gb c8 RAMTHX[/citation]You would buy 12GB for an X58 platform or 8GB for "anything else".

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
its speed that generally improves performance not capacity.

prioritising feature when buying RAM: SPEED, then SIZE, then timing.

although I believe its timing b4 size for gaming assuming you have fair amount of headroom for your RAM.

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]You would buy 12GB for an X58 platform or 8GB for "anything else".[/citation]

you wont need 12GB, just buy 6GB with the highest data rate and shortest latency the 12GB budget would allow. No game use more then 2.5gb for 32 bit gaming anyway.... not that it would matter whether he games or not.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]MEgamer[/nom]you wont need 12GB, just buy 6GB with the highest data rate and shortest latency the 12GB budget would allow. No game use more then 2.5gb for 32 bit gaming anyway.... not that it would matter whether he games or not.[/citation]I believe his question was whether or not to buy a triple-channel memory kit for his dual-channel board, not wither he should buy 2GB or 4GB DIMMs.

+1

It even states on a few of the board manufacture sites that low voltage RAM (1.5v or less) is what's recommended for these 1155 boards.

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
I had not read that recommendation for 1.5v kits before. some of them advertised as "plug and play" for sandybridge processors (1.5v) have a price premium for some reason, but there's a good priced g.skill 8gb cas9 1.5v kit for $57 + 10 shipping on newegg.ca. It seems that "plug and play" stickers are expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.