Eizo to Showcase 4,096 x 2,160 LCD Monitor

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]But will it play Doom, Oh thats right, Doom 3 maxed out at 1600x1200. Nice but very pricey, I'll stick with my 1920 x 1200.[/citation]

I guess i wasnt aware that monitors could play video games (and im not talking all in ones as this one is not)

trumpeter1994

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
So i think the real questions are..... How bout that set up in a dual monitor configuration?
How long before a sub $1k graphics card that will support that?
And most important of all
When well this thing touch a price range that doesn't require me to sell a kidney?

dreadlokz

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
nice resolution... buuuuuuuut... $35K for a 8ms 60Hz display??? No ty!

now imagine this thing on multi screen, 6480x4096 in portrait... millionaries who love simulation will have something to upgrade ;p

[citation][nom]epaalx[/nom]What profession requires such a monitor? And, even if there is such profession, in current financial situation, what company would pay for this monitor if they can get 2 (or more precisely, 2.4) of Dell's U2711 cannot (at 1/24 the price)?[/citation]
Video editing and high res Photoshop are 2 applications where this is more than justifiable. Especially when doing stuff with cameras like Red ONE where you need this res simply as a display monitor. The economy is bad, but there are still companies where a $35000 monitor is no big deal.

bjaminnyc

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]epaalx[/nom]What profession requires such a monitor? And, even if there is such profession, in current financial situation, what company would pay for this monitor if they can get 2 (or more precisely, 2.4) of Dell's U2711 cannot (at 1/24 the price)?[/citation]

With that rational companies should be buying all their employees Atom based netbooks, who needs 2 cores.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]4096x2160 monitor has 3.8x of a 1920x1080 monitor.Imagine running three of those 4k monitors. That would be like running 11-12 1920x1080 monitors.One would need four 680s or 7970s, and liquid cooling for extreme OCing. And even with the graphic rendering monster it would still require sacrifices in other graphics eyecandy and frame rates.[/citation]Not really, all you would need is maybe two(2) and only if you wanted two. A single 590GTX which is basically two 580's in one only slightly faster than a single 680 can run three monitors at 5760x1080 at max settings of 90% of games available. Two 680's should be no problem even with the extra pixels and 4 completely unnecessary not to mention expensive.

j0um

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
So i think the real questions are..... How bout that set up in a dual monitor configuration?
Nah the only good question is:
Can it play Crysis?

Oh and I was on my way to buy one but then I took an arrow in the knee! xD

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
What industries and whom? Automotive, Architecture, High end product design, Hollywood class videos, tv or movie production, presentations or movies. In those there would make sense for a company or studio to own such class of monitors for final product visualization and color correction and any fortunate photographer, editor, architect, engineer, graphic artist, or 3D professional would qualify. 10 bits color is needed in high end monitors to display ultrasmooth color transitions but also could be found on prosumer monitors. It also means it would need a Quadro or FireGL professional GPU. Don't look at it as a simple monitor but as a very important product, film or video tool for final visualization where even the software used to correct the color will cost more.

hannibal

Distinguished
Good! More companies are moving to 4K. 4-5 years and we can upgrade to 4K allso in highend home machines! Some more years and medium quality panels are allso 4K.
The panel resolution has been stagnaget too long!

c4v3man

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
The cheapest way to 4X is through projectors. A near 4k (3840x2160) display is as cheap as 4x 1080 projectors ($800+ each) and either an appropriate video card (or cards) for $200+, or a video wall controller at around $1700 to output a 1080p signal to your 4 displays. Would make a sweet man-cave setup.

But you wouldn't have 10bit color, you'd have to spend alot of time mounting the projectors exactly right to get them aligned properly, then constantly adjust the brightness/colors on each display to match... But at least it'd be cheap.

doctor who

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
These screens are used in the Medical field. They are one of the only screens approved by our radiation board in our country. The colour reproduction and quality of these screens is unbelievable. They are truly the Rolls Royce of screens and cannot be compared to consumer or even other hi end screens.
They are typically used in top end digital Ct's, MR's and X-rays, and also for remote medical reporting and diagnosis.

threehosts

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Medical imaging such as MRI scans? A good monitor with a high resolution that delivers good images is likely to help a doctor be better at e.g. finding cancerous tumors and make proper diagnoses.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]4096x2160 monitor has 3.8x of a 1920x1080 monitor[/citation]
3.8??? (4096/1920)*(2160/1080)=3.8??? 3840x2160 is 4x larger, 4K is 4.27x

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]ceteras[/nom]Perhaps video processing jobs in offices where there is not enough room for two monitors.[/citation]
not enough space? how much junk do you absolutely have to have on your cubicle walls? my first thought was 4 of these on a cubicle wall for any CAD designer with each one rendering a different angle!
put 6 of these together top, bottom, left, right, front back in a cube form and you would have the world first semi actual 3D monitor, in a cheating manner so to speak.
that's what 3D really is after all, viewable at every angle with each angle displaying is respective view toward a 3D object.
anything less is automatically disqualified from being 3D.

halcyon

Splendid
The U2711 is cute but work with a U3011 30" and you'll see the light. I think I can honestly say I'd rather have 3 x U3011 than 1 of these 4096 displays...but I'm sure I'm unique in that perspective.

JJeng1

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
Still waiting on someone to beat the resolution of the IBM T220. Made back in 2001, it has a 3840x2400 resolution in a 22.2 inch display. This resolution is close, but the IBM still has more pixels (9,216,000).

G

Actually, many medical monitors only have to meet resolution requirements, and are in fact black and white only. Only being 100% of the sRGB color gamut means that this display is NOT used by video/photo editing professionals, which would require at least 100% of the NTSC color gamut. Many monitors several years ago were specced at up to 118% of the NTSC color gamut. Color gamut refers to the various levels of colors that can potentially be displayed by a device. There are different standards that defines color gamut: sRGB, AdobeRGB and NTSC. To quantify the various color gamuts in terms of their relative range of color of narrowest to widest would be: sRGB < AdobeRGB < NTSC.
What is NTSC color gamut?
NTSC is the color space developed for the widest range of colors that can be represented to the human eye. Most real world devices to date do not have the ability to actually reach this level of color in a display.
Monitors are generally rated on their color by the percentage of colors out of a color gamut that are possible. Thus, a monitor that is rated at 100% NTSC can display all of the colors within the NTSC color gamut. A screen with a 50% NTSC color gamut can only represent half of those colors.
The average computer monitor will display around 70 to 75% of the NTSC color gamut, shown with the green triangle on the chart. This is fine for most people as they are used to the color they have seen over the years from television and video sources. (72% of NTSC is roughly equivalent to 100% of the sRGB color gamut.)
Those that are looking to use a display for graphical work for either a hobby or profession will probably want something that has a greater range of color. This is where high color or wide gamut displays come into play. In order for a display to be listed as a wide gamut, it generally needs to produce at least a 92% NTSC color gamut.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS