Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: PC Performance, Benchmarked

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Headspin_69

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

PS the Radeon HD 5870 was sold out along time ago because it was one of the best cards of current times and GTX 570 class performance before GTX 570 even came into existance was worth $380 at the time you dunce Nvidia is all about fail marketing and Physx is only in 5 games.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Release price of 5870 was $400. And I assume you got your 5970 used, so not much surprise here.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Whoa, fanboy alert :D PhysX might be in only a few games (more than 5 for sure, troll) but it's awesome. It's a nice addition, I wouldn't pay for it, though. But I'm glad I got nVidia, finding a correct AMD driver is an abysmal experience (their site is FAILLL) and since GTX 560 Ti was cheaper than a 6950 (awesome card, btw), I went for it and I don't regret it. The way you put it, I don't understand why folks keep buying nVidia at all :D It's a dangerous criteria to judge sales by (after all, people buy Apple crap, too, lots of it), but I'll still use it here ;)

G

so can i safely say that when AMD releases the crossfire drivers, dual 5770s should have no problem maxing it at 1080p?

cleeve

Illustrious
The graphics don't come close to Crysis 2 and Battlefield 3 in terms of visual fidelity because the data resources of this game are very different. It's very simple to understand. Anyone who has saved a JPG in a bigger resolution will know that it results in a bigger file - same concept with video games and textures. Similarly, higher polygon count (more detailed) models result in bigger files. The reason Crysis 2 and Battlefield 3 look better than Skyrim is because these games take up the majority of the 360 and PS3 disc space with high quality textures and models. Skyrim takes up the disc with the sheer *quantity* of models and textures there are in the game - content. Hence, lower resolution textures and models, which means the graphics will look slightly dated in some ways.

This analysis doesn't hold up to scrutiny. Why? Because a developer can concentrate resources anywhere they target, and they can have multiple targets.

For instance, the original Oblivion blew everything else out of the water graphically at the time. It had the best models and textures available. Does that mean that Oblivion had a low quantity of visual content? No, it also sported what was probably the richest, most fleshed out game world of it's time.

The reason Skyrim doesn't look better than Crysis 2 isn't because it's a different type of game, and it's not because of scale or disk space...

... it's because the developers didn't make graphics their main focus. There's nothing else to say, really.

gary33r

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I have a core i7 920 on a ASUS p6t x58 motherboard/6GB triple channel/ with a gtx 260-what framerates can i expect at high/ultra settings? i have been considering getting a gtx 570 level card since my card isn't dx11 capable-recommendations

Headspin_69

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

AMD Radeon Drivers gets updated automatically when Steam updates so what are you on about because you do not even need to find drivers with AMD and the 560ti is a good card I was thinking of picking up two of them but my mobo only does Crossfire so AMD Radeon it was plus a 6870 is just as fast as a 560ti only the Radeon 6870 30/40 dollars cheaper.

I read somewhere at 1080p, with every setting possible maxed, some shadows still look really "blocky". Could that be a nvidia thing? I'm looking forward to enjoying the scenery as I slowly walk encumbered full of potatoes to the nearest town! :D

Headspin_69

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
[citation][nom]clonazepam[/nom]I read somewhere at 1080p, with every setting possible maxed, some shadows still look really "blocky". Could that be a nvidia thing? I'm looking forward to enjoying the scenery as I slowly walk encumbered full of potatoes to the nearest town![/citation]
I think I am not sure I have not played the game yet but my friend says it look phenomenal on his GTX 570

Massacher

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
@ ojas 11/11/2011 11:01 AM

What about memory usage? I've been curious to see what effect BF3 and Skyrim would have on that 1GB vs 2GB 6950 article...

Would be good if we could just get charts for both games with max VRAM usage for cards with memory greater than 1GB for ultra and high settings at various resolutions...i know my 9600GT goes up to 800MB with BF3 set mostly to medium at 1024x768...

use GPU-Z while playing to look @ the VRAM usage. can really only do it if u have dual monitors though or else you'll have to alt tab to view.

[citation][nom]Massacher[/nom]@ ojas 11/11/2011 11:01 AMuse GPU-Z while playing to look @ the VRAM usage. can really only do it if u have dual monitors though or else you'll have to alt tab to view.[/citation]

or msi afterburner's OSD or its logitech G15/19 keyboard lcd. Max out the settings and the memory usage will be close to max too. You'd probably have to keep dialing down the settings until you finally see a change and noticeable difference between actual usage and total memory. The last time I took notice of this aspect was while playing Crysis 2. Since then I haven't paid any attention to it.

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]what happened to the promise of gorgeous castle ruins nestled against a backdrop of trees and wispy water falls and dramatic lighting? I liked Oblivion but I was expecting more, especially with a new game engine.[/citation]

The new game engine was to benefit consoles, not PC.

G

So my opteron 180 and 8800gt is overkill for this game? Sweet!!!

gondor

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
"Gamers at the entry-level side of the spectrum should be happy to learn that a GeForce GT 430 or Radeon HD 5570 delivers a 35 FPS minimum frame rate at 1680x1050 using medium details. As settings drop, so do CPU requirements. So, any dual-core processor running at 2 GHz or more should be ample."

So even mobile Llano might be enough to run the game at display's native resolution (usually 1366x768 or 1600x900) ? This is mind-boggling ...

Would you care to test the game on desktop and mobile Llano ?

[citation][nom]Nikolicaa[/nom]What about bulldozer?[/citation]
well the game doesnt take much advantage of more than 2 cores, and bulldozer has crap per-core performance, so it would play worse than my core 2 duo, probably on par with a Pentium D.
I have just bought the game today, i have had great experiences with morrowind and oblivion, and i can say that this reeks of console port. Graphics are not as good as Oblivion with a texture pack and performance is poor for the average graphics. All I have to say is, I hope some modders out there can fix this game, i cant believe it got such great reviews. Im quite disappointed. Luckily the gameplay makes up for the lack of refinement in GFX and menu's. Has anyone seen the fish? its like they took photo's of guppies and dropped them in the water, pretty pathetic.

Arkz

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
im playing this on my totally rad xfx oc 256MB 8800gt and x2 5600, with 4GB of ddr2 667, game set it to low, but iv changed textures to high, decals to medium (they were off) changed the fade values (grass at full or it looks crap when yer exploring) fxaa and 4x af, 1080p. runs well enough. get the odd slowdown outside when there's a lot going on, of course indoors it runs perfectly smooth as there's hardly anything to render. seems a 256 card in 1080p can handle it even when you turn a few things up, despite the minimum 512 they state...

pcCodinFoo

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Five years and it doesn’t sound or look like Bethesda has done much with elder scrolls. Five years is a long time to have virtually no graphical improvements – they must be taking a cue from blizzard who still uses 1999 graphics and gets away with it (much to my bewilderment). They didn’t bother to implement thread scaling and it sounds like the only real improvements are in the game mechanics/UI which doesn’t take 5 years to do. I could have done that much by myself in 5 years and they have dozens if not hundreds of programmers working on this. I am very disappointed with Bethesda. They are now in the same category as blizzard in my mind – pathetic moneygrubbers.

pcCodinFoo

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]pcCodinFoo[/nom]Five years and it doesn’t sound or look like Bethesda has done much with elder scrolls. Five years is a long time to have virtually no graphical improvements – they must be taking a cue from blizzard who still uses 1999 graphics and gets away with it (much to my bewilderment). They didn’t bother to implement thread scaling and it sounds like the only real improvements are in the game mechanics/UI which doesn’t take 5 years to do. I could have done that much by myself in 5 years and they have dozens if not hundreds of programmers working on this. I am very disappointed with Bethesda. They are now in the same category as blizzard in my mind – pathetic moneygrubbers.[/citation]

if they don't care about graphics they are developing for the wrong platform - they should only be developing for consoles where they couldn't improve the graphics if they wanted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.