electric noise while trying to plug power cord to psu

dalaylamaninkalbi

Commendable
Oct 9, 2016
Hi to all,

I was trying to check a keyboard with my minitx case but while I was moving my case suddenly the power went off. Probably power cord wasn't sit well to the PSU outlet. Yet foolishly I got spooked and tried to check if power cord was unplugged or moved without turning off the power switch or the main power switch on the wall. So while I was checking the power cord, I heard an electrical buzz/sizzle noise from PSU outlet. I immediately turned off the switch back on the PSU and the main electric switch. I've also unplugged PSU cord and push the open button in order to avoid probable static cumulant. When I retried to open my computer, it didn't start at first but later on, I managed to start my PC. Fortunately no burning smells, no sparks. Yet I'm still being paranoid, should I worry?

edit: My PSU btw, is Corsair 650W 650VS with 80+ Bronze Certificate

Solution
Shouldn't need to worry. Sounds like the electricity just arced a small bit as the cable moved within the socket. It's quite a common thing to happen and will be of no damage to your PSU. Just remember to turn it off or unplug the lead from the outlet next time before plugging/unplugging the lead from the PSU.

The same thing happens with laptop chargers etc. where the mains power goes into the power brick

Sm0k

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
For what you describe I don’t think you have anything to worried about, that buzz you hear is normal in all power circuits some you will hear it more that other it all depends of the isolation used, qualities of the components and the amount of watts.

I think you did not noticed before but you always have it there (or it is loud enough for you to hear it 2-5 feet’s away?)

abaday789

Honorable
Jul 4, 2014
Shouldn't need to worry. Sounds like the electricity just arced a small bit as the cable moved within the socket. It's quite a common thing to happen and will be of no damage to your PSU. Just remember to turn it off or unplug the lead from the outlet next time before plugging/unplugging the lead from the PSU.

The same thing happens with laptop chargers etc. where the mains power goes into the power brick

Solution
Reason PSU wouldn't spring to life first time was likely because you didn't purge residual power from it by unplugging it and keeping PC power button pressed in for at least 15 seconds (a quick press won't do it).

PC started successfully later on because by that time the residual power had dissipated by itself.

Had me worried when it happened on my custom-built PC after a split-second power-cut, PC appeared to be dead after that! Left it for 10 minutes with fingers crossed then tried again - - it powered up normally - - phew!

I've since learned (from this very forum in fact) that all I needed to do in such situations was manually purge the residual power in the PSU (a simple 15-second job) instead of waiting (& praying) for 10 minutes!

Jul 9, 2019
Hi I accidentally unplugged my power supply's cable. I replugged it but it made an electrical noise too. My pc turned on fine but I wasn paranoid so I pushed it slightly in further and it kept making that noise. My PSU is the corsairs cx550m 80+ bronze. I then tried turning My pc on again but it didn't so I moved the cable very slightly and it turned on. I'm really worried, does anybody know if This is ok? (It is only about a year old, I just built it last October)