Question Eliminate buffered writes to disk for HWiNFO64 logger?

I'm trying to troubleshoot instant restarts of my PC and I'm using HWiNFO64 to log system sensor data. The problem is that it appears the data is buffered before actually being written to disk, so I'm missing 10 to 30 seconds of data just prior to restarts because of this. I'd like the data to be written to disk immediately as it becomes available. Is there any way around this problem?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Look in Reliability History for error codes and warnings that preceed the restarts.

Event Viewer may also be capturing some error codes and warnings.

Another option you have (versus HWiNFO64) is to use Task Manager, Resource Monitor, or Process Explorer to observe system performance and metrics.

Just use one of the three at a time. You may need to download Process Explorer from Microsoft's website.

I'd rather make a new thread for help with the restarts. I was just curious if there is a way to get HWiNFO to write data for the log file immediately to disk, instead of buffering and then writing every once in a while. Not even sure if the buffering is occurring in-app, or by Windows, or in the hardware, but maybe someone knows a way around this.

Anyway, this is my hardware:
I7-8700K, stock clocks w/Corsair H55 AIO cooler
Corsair Vengeance LPX, 2 x 8GB @ 3000 MHz
Gigabyte RTX 2080 ti Gaming OC w/Autoscan OC curve, stock VRAM clock, 122% Power Limit, 82c temp limit
ASRock Fatal1ty z370 Gaming-ITX/ac
Silverstone SST-SX800-LTI 800W Titanium SFX-L PSU
OS Drive: Samsung 960 EVO M.2 1TB NVME SSD
Secondary Drive: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SATA SSD
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Cougar QBX case with 6 fans (3 in,3 out) plus direct intake GPU fans
Xbox One Wireless Controller
Logitech K400r Wireless Keyboard
Main Display: LG C7 TV

Last edited:
Thanks so much for following up. I was thinking about who to contact next. These instant restarts have been plaguing me for the past couple of months now. Tonight I discovered a setting in Windows 10 Startup and Recovery options. I went there and unchecked Automatically Restart and poof the problem went away. Can't believe it was that easy.

c04778889.jpg