Elite Desk 800 PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

blazelegend

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014
I have an Elite Desk 800 G1. I want to upgrade the power supply. HP doesn't offer any PSU larger then 320W. Any thoughts on a 3rd party power supply that will fit the case and power the mother board?

blazelegend

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014
This is the tower version, I would like to upgrade the power supply from 320W to 500W and then get a Nvidia GTX 750TI card. Website says min 300W PSU but when u go to buy the card they all say 400w.

slickpuss

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011

I just upgraded the power supply in one of these. Its not straight forward, but it can be done. The hp power supply is super bare bones and made just for the hp computer. There are no new power voltages, just different connections, so some rewiring needs to be done.

Here is what you will have to do...

Ill try to make this as less confusing as possible. The hp motherboard only cares about 3 connectors. And the wire colors are all over the place so I wont note them all.
1. 4 pin 12v power/common
2. 6 pin 12v/-12v power/common
3. 6 pin connector (smaller type), with only 4 pins/wires connected. (grey, wht, wht/red, and green)

Here is the breakdown for the above connectors, but with reference colors for the new power supply.
1. Just a regular 12v power connector. 2 yellow wires(12v) on the lock side and 2 black wires(common). Easy peasy.

2. A new power supply wont have a connector like this. This is where it starts to get tricky. You can use the other 4 pin 12 plug as you used in the first spot to start with. In the mb socket you can plug it in on the 4 pins on the right if you are looking at the mb with the lock on top. The two pins that are left will need 12v and -12v from the power supply. The 12v can be pulled from any yellow wire on the power supply. The -12 volt is usually only found on the main power plug which strangely isnt used on the HP 800. It is the blue wire. Its usually the 2nd wire in like in this diagram... http://cdn.overclock.net/d/da/da87333a_ATX24-1.jpeg . I found that my new power supply had an extra 2 pin connector that fit perfectly. It had 2 black wires in it that can be cut and spliced with the blue and yellow wires to be plugged into the motherboard. So, this plug when complete should have all 12v on the lock side of the plug and 2 commons and 1 -12v on the other side.

3. Ok, so this one took a bit of DMM work to figure out but here it is. This plug has 4 wires in the 6 pin small connector. The hp wires are green/grey - power supply on/off, and white, wht/red which are fan speed and fan control. There is no fan power being that the fan is already mounted to the power supply and integrated. I tried to us the typical green ps/on wire and ground from the power supply main connector, but it just doesn't seem to act right and wont boot. So what I found that works best is if you just splice a 5v red wire from your new power supply to the green hp wire, and a black common wire to the grey hp wire it works best. You will need to put a jumper wire in your power supply main connector from grn #16 to black common on your new power supply and just tape it up so the power supply will run. (This connection has to be made to run the power supply and its usually kind of tied to the power button of the computer). Just jump it and wrap it up nicely in electrical tape, it will be fine.

So at this point the computer will fire up and run just perfectly. Connect whatever video card you want and go. Just be aware that there is a big fat usb connector somewhat in the way. I happend to use a Asus 660 and the usb plug fit in a opening in the card. Perhaps more will be like that. ( http://xtreview.com/images/asus%20GeForce%20GTX%20660%20Ti%20DirectCU%20II%20TOP%20%201.jpg ).

Sooooo, the only other pain in the butt is that the 2 wires we didnt connect add some issues. Actually just an annoyance. The control wire doesnt really matter, but the fan "tac sensor" wire being disconnected throws up an alarm during booting that something like "515 Chassis fan not working". It requires the pressing of F1 during booting. This is a pulse signal from the fan, it cant really be faked easily. The best thing to do would be to use the pulse output of the other case fan on the back of the computer and wire into this location. It wont control it, but it will make the alarm go away.

Anyways, I hope you benefit from my hard work. Its not a huge pain, just splicing some wires and should only take 20 minutes or so.

-Slickpuss

Badger Bailey

Reputable
Jan 27, 2015

Great tutorial, i'm just getting a bit stuck on the last part, you said " You will need to put a jumper wire in your power supply main connector from grn #16 to black common on your new power supply and just tape it up so the power supply will run. (This connection has to be made to run the power supply and its usually kind of tied to the power button of the computer). Just jump it and wrap it up nicely in electrical tape, it will be fine."

I am having trouble understanding this clearly, actually the smaller connection on my original HP P/S had 5 wires not 4, all of the ones that you mentioned were there plus a space then a black one, I have connected number 16 (green) from the new power supply to this black cable, is this correct? because when I switch on it just lights on and off on every LED and fan, so I must have done something wrong, please let me know if you can help,

Thanks so much,

badgerbailey

haydon

Reputable
Jan 27, 2015
Thank you for posting this , i am trying to do the same since my psu blew please if possible could you post up a pic of the wiring once completed just so i can use it as a cross reference

slickpuss

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
You may have it all correct. Once you power it on and the lights flash, have you tried to push the power button on the tower? If everything is right it should boot up partway, youll have to hit F1 and then it will boot up the rest of the way.

Its hard to say without seeing it though. Had you jumpered the green to black on the power supplies main connector, like this...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_O9TtIZfkKpQ/SazqFqqlARI/AAAAAAAAADk/oLczGpwRZHU/s320/DSC02191.JPG

haydon

Reputable
Jan 27, 2015
I have tied to do it all like you have have said however I'm not getting any power to the board at all the light isn't coming on on the mobo and isn't booting at all. That's why I thought I might have maybe messed up a wire or 2 lol

Badger Bailey

Reputable
Jan 27, 2015
Is it possible to just cut the green and black and splice them together?

Its_Byte_00

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

hey i just tried doing this but im using a cx600m. can you tell me what the other 2pin connector you used was off of? im guessing pcie power?

ls_wookie

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015

I think I followed procedure precisely, but the machine does not start up.
There is no POST sound, only fans start to spin (at once), when the power button is pressed.

That means, I had to mess somethig up, but it is not jumper-wire issue.

It would be great, if slickpuss (or the other member, who managed to replace the original PSU with third party one), posted scheme of:
  • A) 6 pin 12v/-12v power/common (plug no. 2.)
  • B) 6 pin connector (smaller type), (plug no. 3)

Zebidou81

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015

GoodEyeDeer999

Honorable
Aug 27, 2015
Hi, for those who follow precisely Slickpuss's instructions but only get the lights flashing and fans spinning without system booting up, you may need a slight modification.
In Step(3) regarding the 6-pin connector, instead of using a 5v wire, use a 3.3v. I measured the original hp psu voltage on that pin; it is about 4v. Although Slickpuss said a 5v wire works best for him, it doesn't work for me. So I switch to 3.3v and it works fine.

kostyaf91

Commendable
Jul 7, 2016

I try both 5v and 3.3v cables and the result is still the same.
Green light and fans spinning, without system booting up.
Any suggestions?

GoodEyeDeer999

Honorable
Aug 27, 2015

Sorry I don't have any other suggestions apart from double checking all wires to ensure they are of the correct voltage and also trying with another psu (which could be difficult for you !!). I was actually making my own adapter without altering any psu wires so I can simply plug in any standard 24-pin psu.

matt4x4

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014
I got the same problem, except I want to use a GTX-650 GPU with 400W+ PSU in a SFF, so my stock PSU is 240W 16A. I know the aftermarket PSU wont fit INSIDE, but I can mount it to the case somewhere on the outside, no problem.

Here is an idea....

What about powering the new GPU with an independant PSU (with common grounds to both PSU's......or not [grounding differences]), and using a x16 PCIe cable?
https://www.amazon.com/Express-Riser-Extender-Flexible-Extension/dp/B008BZBFTG

Too complicated I imagine. Maybe the signaling of the GPU needs bits of the power from mobo PSU to do what it does.

http://www.add2psu.com/store/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZiWciJLK3o

Good news guys, as usual the responses are all over the place. But I think its doable. Just use the regular PSU as usual and hook up a 2nd PSU just for the GPU.
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3166665/psu-computer-gpu.html#18497998

For the people that have a broken HP PSU, you will have to wire it up as mentioned.

Its old school, before the days of high wattage PSU's. But its doable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.reddit.com/r/BitcoinMining/comments/1ccfy5/one_rig_two_power_supplies/
Quote - I've rigged systems up like this before, high-end mobo, 2 GPUs, and about 10 hard drives. Worked just fine, except for one issue: the timing had to be pretty precise. Both PSUs had to be turned on within about a half second of each other............If you really plan on going forward with this idea, yes, I would ground everything. Connect the cases of the PSUs together with a wire, then connect it to your computer case.

mzwerin

Commendable
Dec 2, 2016
I purchased a EliteDesk 800 G2 from HP with the ONLY power supply being a 280W piece of crap. Obviously this thread has SAVED MY TUSH.
Although it took a while to figure out just how this was to be wired, and a bit of anxiety as I cut the HP power supply wires, it all worked out just fine. My only issue is that now the boot sequence leads to a warning that the power supply fan has failed. Any idea on how to get the system to forget about that or rewire the remaining pins on the P2 connector to show that the fan is on?

Again, Thanks to everyone for getting my system up and running with 600W of power.

GoodEyeDeer999

Honorable
Aug 27, 2015

Are you referring to the issue described in Slickpuss's original post second last paragraph (where you need to press F1 to continue)?

aguerrero81

Commendable
Jan 14, 2017
CSS:

hello, would you please send a picture of how you rewired it? I have an EliteDesk 800 G2 as well trying to use a 500w PSU

thanks,

edwardlyn

Prominent
Apr 19, 2017

Hi!

I have just gotten an EliteDesk 800 G2 as well and I find that I have the same issue, 280W PSU which is totally useless when I have added a VGA card, Nvidia GTX-1050!

Do you guys think that using a PSU which has modular cables would be easier to be fitted into the EliteDesk 800 G2?
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=342
For example, the Silverstone SFX Series : ST45SF-G .... would that be good?

Thanks for any comments/suggestions there are forthcoming!

Status
Not open for further replies.