Elive Linux Requirments and Expiernces

bzand

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
I ran across Elive linux today and it looks pretty good. They claim its great for old hardware but never claim how old or its requirments. Has anyone ever used it or even heard of it? If so do you recomend it? The last stable release seems to be from 2010 with more current unstable release but no date attached.

Looking at eye candy on the screenshots, it won't perform well on "old hardware". Why you just try it and share the results? That "2010 release" might actually work on your old hardware, but it will contain bugs (both at kernel and application levels) which were fixed in recent releases.

There are hundreds of Linux distros, one cannot know all of them.

bzand

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
Looking at eye candy on the screenshots, it won't perform well on "old hardware"
Yes I agree that it probaly wont the 3d and eyecandy clued me off. I downloaded the 2010 and will play with it in vbox and if I like it and see how resource hungry it is along with if can be dumbed dowb ill try it. Tell me about the hundred diffrent distros eith so many its hardto find a perfect match expecially for old hardware

itmoba

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
Elive is a fairly decent distribution. I've spoken with one of the developers before -- seemed like a nice person to me with a good reason as to why they wanted to make another Debian-based fork.

Sadly, there is no perfect distribution. I remember when I first got ahold of ZipSlack 7.1 which ran an ancient Linux 2.2.x kernel (if I recall correctly) -- it was awesome because it could fit on a Zip-disk (similar to a floppy disk, but it could hold a whole 100 MB!). It had everything you needed, and if it didn't then you'd pray that your 56.6 Kbps connection didn't suddenly die whilst downloading the source-code of important things (luckily for me, I had a cable connection).

The problem is that you're asking for shiny point-and-click to run on an old system. It just won't happen, sorry. The older the Linux distribution, the more difficult it will be for people who are accustomed to complete out-of-box solutions. Me? I think the warm glow of a screen full of green text on a black background is as homely as it can get. But, to get that feeling, I'd need to use a CRT monitor, and I don't have any of those lying around. Your goal right now should be the same I told you before: Find a window manager that you like and from there pick your distribution. That'll save you the time of starting these threads. Go on Youtube and look for Linux window managers. There's a vast selection to choose from, so do it wisely and carefully. If you really-really need help, just PM me and I'll see what I can do to help.

bzand

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
Elive is a fairly decent distribution
it appeas like it is after I tried it but I still don't belive its good for older hardware. My next task is to find a window manger I like. I apologize for all the threads I have a million questions as you can see, and some are stupid. Its just my only chance of getting a personal computer for myself is one of the old ones.Even though you can get newones cheap or even more powerfil olderones for free if you look inbthe right places.

for what I just quickly read up on it they require 15 bucks for the installer ?? how is that Linux ??

''Elive developers asked for a payment (via PayPal) of $15 or more to download the live CD. Alternatively, users could apply for free one-use "invitation codes" by writing long essays promoting Elive and posting about it on various commercial websites. The Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 License does not seem to prohibit exact re-distribution. Currently (2010), Elive is now freely available to download, but not free to install. Any user can download and run the Elive system as a liveCD for free, but in order to install the OS one needs to donate or go through the processes mentioned earlier.[2] ''

'' Elive is a commercial distribution; while the live CD is available as a free download, those wishing to install it to a hard disk are asked to pay US$15 for an installation module.

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=elive

bzand

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
what I just quickly read up on it they require 15 bucks for the installer ?
i read that two but thought it was not valid anymore. I didnt try to install i just ran the live cd. I deleed the iso though so i cant try an install. It would take 6 hours for me to redownload it. If it is true that you have to pay forget it.

itmoba

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015

Hot damn! -- I didn't even know about that. Junkeymonkey, you made a really nice catch -- definitely +100 credit for you. Good job dude!

I got this a few months ago but it now seems like you hit download and a billing page pops up for it as well ???

maybe a new trend for Linux ??

https://elementary.io/

download free here ??

http://sourceforge.net/projects/elementaryos/

McHenryB

Admirable
Yes. Charging for open source software has a long history and fits in with the spirit of the FSF.

More to the point is whether you would want to install a five-year old distro. I wouldn't.

TRENDING THREADS