News Elon Musk blasts Microsoft about Windows 11’s account requirement – takes several hours to bypass it

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CmdrShepard

Prominent
Dec 18, 2023
I've been using Linux Mint off and on the last couple of months. It runs almost everything I need.
I keep hearing tales about this mystical unicorn OS named Linux which runs amost everything people need.

I tried latest Debian 12.5 release couple of days ago and after setting it up on a laptop I wanted to remote into it from the comfort of my desktop PC. So I fired up UltraVNC on my PC and...

Well guess what?

It's 2024 and Linux doesn't have a built-in remote desktop capability which you can enable with a flip of a switch.

If you installed KDE Plasma it's Krfb ... no wait ... that's broken because unattended access isn't really unattended once the auto-lock kicks in. Try wayvnc ... oops that doesn't work either. How about tigervnc server? Nope, broken too. After two hours of Googling and messing with various config files I finally had enough of it and pulled the plug. I'll give it another 20 years, maybe by then Microsoft will contribute Windows Terminal Service code into Linux kernel tree.

Reactions: 35below0
Feb 26, 2024
I keep hearing tales about this mystical unicorn OS named Linux which runs amost everything people need.

I tried latest Debian 12.5 release couple of days ago and after setting it up on a laptop I wanted to remote into it from the comfort of my desktop PC. So I fired up UltraVNC on my PC and...

Well guess what?

It's 2024 and Linux doesn't have a built-in remote desktop capability which you can enable with a flip of a switch.

If you installed KDE Plasma it's Krfb ... no wait ... that's broken because unattended access isn't really unattended once the auto-lock kicks in. Try wayvnc ... oops that doesn't work either. How about tigervnc server? Nope, broken too. After two hours of Googling and messing with various config files I finally had enough of it and pulled the plug. I'll give it another 20 years, maybe by then Microsoft will contribute Windows Terminal Service code into Linux kernel tree.
It works for his "needs", but you're totally correct here. Every GUI clone (KDE, Gnome, etc) that has come to Linux has fallen short. Every single one requires some form of messing with settings, messing with terminal, etc. It's 2024, and Linux still feels like MS-DOS /w Windows 3.1. Don't get me wrong. Linux has made some headways, but it's already 33 years old.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024

That's harsh. But unfortunately typical of the kind of experience when one runs into any trouble on Linux.
Searching for answers online usually adds to the pain as i find posts made 5 or 10 years ago by people who had the same problem. Same problem, still unfixed. And the solutions are often to figure it out yourself, and not to expect a Windows like experience.

I say harsh because i cannot expect other people to fix all this for free or fix it for me. But at the same time, Linux is an OS. Some things are expected of an OS.

I have good things to say about Debian. And terrible things to say about Windows. It's just that as ridiculous as Windows' flaws are, it is still a usable OS. Very usable. And dependable. Debian cannot match it.

Shame. ...i don't wish Debian to suck less, i wish Windows sucked less :rolleyes:

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Being able to see content on someone else's website, is not the same thing as installing an operating system on your PC. The New York Times has a paywall on their website, which is OK, because I'm not trying to install software written by them on my PC. The two should not be dependent on each other.
Not saying it is just that it's funny Elon is poking fun at another company doing something wrong in the middle of his cluster. I think the Microsoft account component is crap as well but...It's really not that hard to get around by saying you will create a domain then just not...it's fairly easy.

I still think it's bs and they should clearly and easily offer both options, but Elon doesn't have much of a leg to stand on for good software creation given the state of Twixxer.

Status
Not open for further replies.