Elpida Memory Likely to Seek a Second Bailout

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I don't agree with governments bailing out businesses that fail.

I didn't want the government to bail out the car companies that produced cars that people didn't buy. Thats a part of business, when things go bad a new business will usually come about from the old one that failed. I'm sure if GM or Chrysler went under Ford or another company thats not based in the US would have taken the plants and made them useful. I'd personally like to see retooling for electric vehicles and wind turbines, but thats not viable due to the limited productions and high cost. Too bad commercial wind turbines or batteries aren't like the semiconducting industry, with ever decreasing costs.

thesnappyfingers

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
I generally agree with shuffman, especially companies that clearly will not be able to pay off the loans.

GM and Chrysler did go under though, in terms of them declaring bankruptcy, pretty sure Chrysler was purchased (at least controlling share) by Cerberus-sounds sinister-group or something like that

What I really don't like is large financial institutions taking insanely large risky 'investments' that when fail and falter utterly destroy a nations economy. The people in charge of such institutions are suppose to invest and not speculate on bullshit. Sorry for the rant, just don't like the middle class suffering due to poor decision making that was not their own. Alas, this appears to be the trend both historically and currently.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
no more bailouts please....it was the worst thing ever done by the US Government....all that bailout money should have been distributed to the taxpayers, which in turn would have helped boost the economy

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
no more bailouts....this is the worst thing the US Government has ever done....they should have given the money to the tax payers which in return would have boosted the economy

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]no more bailouts....this is the worst thing the US Government has ever done....they should have given the money to the tax payers which in return would have boosted the economy[/citation]
oops...double post :)

[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]no more bailouts please....it was the worst thing ever done by the US Government....all that bailout money should have been distributed to the taxpayers, which in turn would have helped boost the economy[/citation]
It's a Japanese company. By the way, the latest news is that Toshiba would like to merge with them and the share of Elpida actually goes up.It is a tough market for DRAM maker since they are at a record low price. If they can bring out DDR4, maybe the higher profit margin can help them a bit.

G

I see this also showing the lack of financial responsibility thats spreading throughout the world. Companies and individuals should save for times of loss, but with interest rates in the toilet because of the banks loaning out money to people who were risky in the first place, savings of any type is completely worthless. I can buy a used car, and I'll lose less value over time than sticking money in a bank, sad. I remember my parents having 5% and 6% interest on CDs and the inflation rates were around 3% just a few years ago. Now, just starting to build my independence its tough watching money lose value like it is with so little in return.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Samsung: "Why is Elpida not returning our calls? We just want to purchase their company with this spare $1 Billion."

BTW Shuffman, every politician the world over thinks Austrian Economics are a terrible macro-economic solution. Don't you realize what a fool hardy idea it is to think about how you will pay your bills a week from now? Obviously politicians have your best interests at heart, and that interest is to keep you spending your entire check.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]shuffman37[/nom]I don't agree with governments bailing out businesses that fail. I didn't want the government to bail out the car companies that produced cars that people didn't buy. Thats a part of business, when things go bad a new business will usually come about from the old one that failed. I'm sure if GM or Chrysler went under Ford or another company thats not based in the US would have taken the plants and made them useful. I'd personally like to see retooling for electric vehicles and wind turbines, but thats not viable due to the limited productions and high cost. Too bad commercial wind turbines or batteries aren't like the semiconducting industry, with ever decreasing costs.[/citation]

you have to keep my new job loss.
that's the main reason why governments willing to bail out corporations.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but bailouts given to the auto manufacturers have strings attached, and for the most part have been completely repaid. I see nothing wrong with investing in a company that's going through a rough patch. And these were companies that no one wanted to buy for, there were companies that sold us some more expensive car and no one wants to pay that much for car right now.

I'm okay with any bailouts along the strings are attached and are not given the money to do with whatever the hell they want.

[citation][nom]thesnappyfingers[/nom]I generally agree with shuffman, especially companies that clearly will not be able to pay off the loans. GM and Chrysler did go under though, in terms of them declaring bankruptcy, pretty sure Chrysler was purchased (at least controlling share) by Cerberus-sounds sinister-group or something like thatWhat I really don't like is large financial institutions taking insanely large risky 'investments' that when fail and falter utterly destroy a nations economy. The people in charge of such institutions are suppose to invest and not speculate on bullshit. Sorry for the rant, just don't like the middle class suffering due to poor decision making that was not their own. Alas, this appears to be the trend both historically and currently.[/citation]

risky investments, while in their name they are risky can also have a large pay off. If someone had a world changing idea I have no problem giving them crap tons of money to try and see it through because the idea is worth it.

However most of them bought debt. Which is kind of really stupid, at least the corporation buying countries debt. Countries by another country debt I get.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]thesnappyfingers[/nom]I generally agree with shuffman, especially companies that clearly will not be able to pay off the loans. GM and Chrysler did go under though, in terms of them declaring bankruptcy, pretty sure Chrysler was purchased (at least controlling share) by Cerberus-sounds sinister-group or something like thatWhat I really don't like is large financial institutions taking insanely large risky 'investments' that when fail and falter utterly destroy a nations economy. The people in charge of such institutions are suppose to invest and not speculate on bullshit. Sorry for the rant, just don't like the middle class suffering due to poor decision making that was not their own. Alas, this appears to be the trend both historically and currently.[/citation]

52% of Chrysler is held by Fiat SpA....

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-06-03/fiat-buys-rest-of-u-s-s-chrysler-stake-right-to-uaw-shares.html

aidynphoenix

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
I'm not a fan of the name, Samsung,, they make too many different kinds of products for me to trust them.. To me, the name Samsung feels too much like Sony, or Pioneer,, Tons of products, Some Great, but Most cheap crap that you will throw away in 2-4 years.

ko2n777

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]shuffman37[/nom]I don't agree with governments bailing out businesses that fail. I didn't want the government to bail out the car companies that produced cars that people didn't buy. Thats a part of business, when things go bad a new business will usually come about from the old one that failed. I'm sure if GM or Chrysler went under Ford or another company thats not based in the US would have taken the plants and made them useful. I'd personally like to see retooling for electric vehicles and wind turbines, but thats not viable due to the limited productions and high cost. Too bad commercial wind turbines or batteries aren't like the semiconducting industry, with ever decreasing costs.[/citation]

I kind of agree with the whole, we shouldn't bail out failing companies, but if we didn't then there wouldn't be any jobs in America. Kind of a lose-lose situation.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Pyree[/nom]It's a Japanese company. By the way, the latest news is that Toshiba would like to merge with them and the share of Elpida actually goes up.It is a tough market for DRAM maker since they are at a record low price. If they can bring out DDR4, maybe the higher profit margin can help them a bit.[/citation]
we don't need ddr4...what we need is a new kind of ram, we need something that can retain the information put on it for unlimited amount of time without battery back up...it also needs to be faster and more power efficient....take a look at the CPU industry, it has come a long way......the ram industry is lagging behind big time

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
I am wondering if their management was getting their year end bonuses as is so customary in the USA.
You failed to perform, her is your golden parachute...

brett1042002

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]we don't need ddr4...what we need is a new kind of ram, we need something that can retain the information put on it for unlimited amount of time without battery back up...it also needs to be faster and more power efficient....take a look at the CPU industry, it has come a long way......the ram industry is lagging behind big time[/citation]

Non-volatile RAM is already being researched and tested by IBM and several other companies.

Magnetoresistive RAM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-volatile_memory

Time will tell...

ElectroGoofy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Pyree[/nom]It's a Japanese company.[/citation]
Why the heck would the US government bail them out if they aren't even a US company? (the same question can be asked of why they would bail any company out. If it is failing, then there is some reason they are failing, and a new and improved company needs to take its place).

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
[citation][nom]ElectroGoofy[/nom]Why the heck would the US government bail them out if they aren't even a US company? (the same question can be asked of why they would bail any company out. If it is failing, then there is some reason they are failing, and a new and improved company needs to take its place).[/citation]

Why did the US government bail out foreign banks and companies in 2008?

I am not sure if this article is stating that it is the US government doing the bailing out here, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.