EM pinballs, which parts are OK to oil? Steppers/drop targ..

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

frenchy

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004

I was referring to the plastic drop target itself or anything it slides
against. Yes that pivot in your picture is perfectly fine to be
cleaned of dirt and rust and then a drop of light oil applied. (But
not to the other joint with the fiber link on it)...Frenchy

frenchy

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2004

<<Score motor gears are BRASS on BRASS. No lubrication! They are
designed to NOT be lubricated! >>

Sometimes I put a smidge of oil on the axles of those gears where they
ride in the bearings, but not the gears themselves. But I almost never
bother with it and just oil that oil hole you mentioned... also that
oil hole only lubes the top end of that main spinning axle so I put a
drrop on the bottom of the axle too.....Frenchy

BillB

I agree with frenchy.

I would also add again, that I clean all that with a rag dampened with wd40.

keep in mind that this is 30-40 year old metal that is prone to rust and
wd-40 blocks moisture and oxygen. clean the springs too.

you can even put white lube on the edges of the score motor disks and a thin
layer of same on the wiper boards. Light oil on the step-up pawls of the
various units is also a GOOD idea.

Do all the above every 6 months. Nobody ever does, but that's what the book
says you should do.

--
billb
the stock market is one giant electronic chain letter.

cfh@provide.net wrote:
> The WHOLE procedure is fully described at
> http://marvin3m.com/em/index1.htm
> i don't think there is any need to retype!

Dude, chill out :) Thanks for a great guide, it's helped me a lot! But
as you say in your disclaimer:

"These repair guide documents for fixing/restoring coin operated games
are a best effort on my part. However, I screw up all the time, so it
would be extremely unwise to trust the contents in its entirety (I
certainly don't)"

So as this is my first time doing a pinball repair I thought I'd ask
here on RGP to be sure I didn't do anything wrong :) I'm now fairly
confident on what the correct procedure is, and I'll get to it first
thing in the morning.

As for the videos, I live in Norway and don't have 7-21 days for
shipping :) But I'm sure their as good as the guide or better!

Keep up the good work!

Tor Arne

errr.... Clay's email is on the marvin site because he compiled all
those repair guides. You use WD40 all you want, but I can tell you
from experience that it's not a good idea, it will mess up over time
and gum up stuff. WD40s website is going to extoll the "lubricating"
qualities of wd40 because once the part you lubed with it started to
gum up again, why, you need MORE WD40 in there! It's there to sell
more WD40. I know you want to be stubborn about this because you have
been using it for 20 years, but you really should stop. Your method of
spraying the rag may be OK to clean stuff as long as you wipe it all
off but for other purposes..... no.

>Wake up to the 1990s. Teflon lube gel is the lub of choice for
>all parts that require lubrication in an EM.

HELLO! WD-40 is a lazy way out. Just get a tube of the right stuff and
you won't have to dick with the game in 2 years to clean out all that
WD-40.

Some people swear by the stuff, but I would at least TRY the right lube
before you go suggesting the wrong stuff to everyone else.

Kirb

> noticed your email on the marvin site. what is your connection to that?

well, he did write the repair guides.
Marvin hosts them.

Kirb

And "compiled" some....

Fred
TX
CARGPB#8
===========================
kirb wrote:
> > noticed your email on the marvin site. what is your connection to that?
>
> well, he did write the repair guides.
> Marvin hosts them.
>
> Kirb

uh-oh

stevebo

On 15 Aug 2005 06:46:58 -0700, "Fred Kemper" <pbgarage@davlin.net>
wrote:

> And "compiled" some....
>
>Fred
>TX
>CARGPB#8
>===========================
>kirb wrote:
>> > noticed your email on the marvin site. what is your connection to that?
>>
>> well, he did write the repair guides.
>> Marvin hosts them.
>>
>> Kirb

With EMs, WD-40, choke cleaner, and spray teflon grease are your
friends.

>do NOT use spray ANYTHING on an EM game! DUH.

Some of us are barely intelligent enough to let the game air out before
we turn it back on.

>correct, IF you like to burn the house down!

Clay, this guy is just trolling to get a response out of you.

Kirb

>wd40 was reformulated to be less flammable

It still burns pretty well.

Kirb

I don't use anything anywhere. Dust will eventually collect and gum it
up.

Chas