Hi:

I've been doing a cleaning job on my new Gottlieb SOLAR CITY EM. When I
hit start, it goes into reset mode, counters reset, and the ball kicks
out. However, nothing works at that point. No points can register,
flippers don't work, etc, etc. Essentially the playfield is dead. But
if I drop the ball, it will come back up.

I did notice that in the initial reset, the drop targets are not
resetting. Should that be a clue? I'm a newbie here, so please be kind
:)

Thanks,

Dave

PS: Will be ordering the manual and schematic shortly.

> I've been doing a cleaning job on my new Gottlieb SOLAR CITY EM. When I
> hit start, it goes into reset mode, counters reset, and the ball kicks
> out. However, nothing works at that point. No points can register,
> flippers don't work, etc, etc. Essentially the playfield is dead. But
> if I drop the ball, it will come back up.
>
> I did notice that in the initial reset, the drop targets are not
> resetting. Should that be a clue? I'm a newbie here, so please be kind
> :)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave
>
> PS: Will be ordering the manual and schematic shortly.

Yes... the fact that the drop targets arent resetting is a huge clue!!
Do you also hear the motor constantly turning? If so, it is waiting for
them to reset.... I wonder why the ball kicks out though before the targets
reset.... check the drop target relay.... operate it manually to see if that
does anything... if it does, then you willneed to clean and adjust the
contacts as needed. Usually there will be more than one set of contacts on
the relay, so you will also have to determine which set of contacts operate
what....chances are the cleaning and adjusting will work, unless there are
other issues present....
As far as there being no power to the playfield.... after you've gotten
the drop targets to reset, if you have the same problem, check the ball
count unit... make sure it is adjusted properly too....

good Luck...

Fwed

Hi Dave,
When the ball drains, does the game play at that point when the ball is
kicked out again? I had a Gottlieb Aquarius that did this and I've known a
few collectors who have owned Gottlieb EMs that do this too. Hit reset, the
game resets, let the ball drain, and ball 1 starts and it plays fine.

Josh
http://www.pingeek.com

fweddybear wrote:
> > I've been doing a cleaning job on my new Gottlieb SOLAR CITY EM. When I
> > hit start, it goes into reset mode, counters reset, and the ball kicks
> > out. However, nothing works at that point. No points can register,
> > flippers don't work, etc, etc. Essentially the playfield is dead. But
> > if I drop the ball, it will come back up.
> >
> > I did notice that in the initial reset, the drop targets are not
> > resetting. Should that be a clue? I'm a newbie here, so please be kind
> > :)
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Dave
> >
> > PS: Will be ordering the manual and schematic shortly.
>
> Yes... the fact that the drop targets arent resetting is a huge clue!!
> Do you also hear the motor constantly turning? If so, it is waiting for
> them to reset.... I wonder why the ball kicks out though before the targets
> reset.... check the drop target relay.... operate it manually to see if that
> does anything... if it does, then you willneed to clean and adjust the
> contacts as needed. Usually there will be more than one set of contacts on
> the relay, so you will also have to determine which set of contacts operate
> what....chances are the cleaning and adjusting will work, unless there are
> other issues present....
> As far as there being no power to the playfield.... after you've gotten
> the drop targets to reset, if you have the same problem, check the ball
> count unit... make sure it is adjusted properly too....
>
> good Luck...
>
> Fwed

When the ball kicks out, the motor stops turning. Operating the drop
targets manually does not change things unfortunately. Strangely, there
are two banks of drop targets, and only one of them fairs to reset.
BUT, this set of targets has never reset since I bought it last week,
and I was able to get it working slightly before my cleaning, and they
still didn't reset then either.

Thanks,

Dave

No, it doesn't help if I let the ball drain.

Thanks,

Dave

check you r start relay or your first ball relay, you got a contact not
making it, clean them all!! no matter how they look

Ctsteps5

owner of
71 Bally Expressway, 72 Williams Superstar,
74 Williams Star Pool, 75 Gottlieb Fast Draw.
68 Williams Student Prince

Moderator of EM Pinball Group
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/empinbalmachines/

This exact problem can be caused by a non-functioning
(dirty/shorted/mis-adjusted) trough exit switch. This is the switch
that the ball rolls over just as it enters the shooter lane. It is
used to advance the ball counter, reset targets, etc. I'll bet that's
your problem.

toshradio@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I've been doing a cleaning job on my new Gottlieb SOLAR CITY EM. When I
> hit start, it goes into reset mode, counters reset, and the ball kicks
> out. However, nothing works at that point. No points can register,
> flippers don't work, etc, etc. Essentially the playfield is dead. But
> if I drop the ball, it will come back up.
>
> I did notice that in the initial reset, the drop targets are not
> resetting. Should that be a clue? I'm a newbie here, so please be kind
> :)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave
>
> PS: Will be ordering the manual and schematic shortly.

it could possibly be, but why the ball eject?

Ctsteps5

owner of
71 Bally Expressway, 72 Williams Superstar,
74 Williams Star Pool, 75 Gottlieb Fast Draw.
68 Williams Student Prince

Moderator of EM Pinball Group
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/empinbalmachines/

Check the stepper unit that keeps track of the ball count. Check the
switches on it very carefully. Operate it manually, taking note of the
switch positions. My El Dorado had exactly the same problem as you are
describing. It was caused by one of the switches staying open just a
fraction when it should have been closed on resetting. Seems it was bumped
or bent slightly at some stage. Fixed my problem 100%

Check the under-the-playfield fuse for the drop target bank that doesn't reset.
JR

toshradio@hotmail.com wrote:

> fweddybear wrote:
> > > I've been doing a cleaning job on my new Gottlieb SOLAR CITY EM. When I
> > > hit start, it goes into reset mode, counters reset, and the ball kicks
> > > out. However, nothing works at that point. No points can register,
> > > flippers don't work, etc, etc. Essentially the playfield is dead. But
> > > if I drop the ball, it will come back up.
> > >
> > > I did notice that in the initial reset, the drop targets are not
> > > resetting. Should that be a clue? I'm a newbie here, so please be kind
> > > :)
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Dave
> > >
> > > PS: Will be ordering the manual and schematic shortly.
> >
> > Yes... the fact that the drop targets arent resetting is a huge clue!!
> > Do you also hear the motor constantly turning? If so, it is waiting for
> > them to reset.... I wonder why the ball kicks out though before the targets
> > reset.... check the drop target relay.... operate it manually to see if that
> > does anything... if it does, then you willneed to clean and adjust the
> > contacts as needed. Usually there will be more than one set of contacts on
> > the relay, so you will also have to determine which set of contacts operate
> > what....chances are the cleaning and adjusting will work, unless there are
> > other issues present....
> > As far as there being no power to the playfield.... after you've gotten
> > the drop targets to reset, if you have the same problem, check the ball
> > count unit... make sure it is adjusted properly too....
> >
> > good Luck...
> >
> > Fwed
>
> When the ball kicks out, the motor stops turning. Operating the drop
> targets manually does not change things unfortunately. Strangely, there
> are two banks of drop targets, and only one of them fairs to reset.
> BUT, this set of targets has never reset since I bought it last week,
> and I was able to get it working slightly before my cleaning, and they
> still didn't reset then either.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

I have replaced all of the fuses, but unfortunately no change. But
again, one set (row of 10 targets at top of playfield) does reset at
the start of each ball, but this other set of drop-targets does not.

Thanks,

Dave

JR Pinball wrote:
> Check the under-the-playfield fuse for the drop target bank that doesn't reset.
> JR
>
> toshradio@hotmail.com wrote:

> > > Yes... the fact that the drop targets arent resetting is a huge clue!!
> > > Do you also hear the motor constantly turning? If so, it is waiting for
> > > them to reset.... I wonder why the ball kicks out though before the targets
> > > reset.... check the drop target relay.... operate it manually to see if that
> > > does anything... if it does, then you willneed to clean and adjust the
> > > contacts as needed. Usually there will be more than one set of contacts on
> > > the relay, so you will also have to determine which set of contacts operate
> > > what....chances are the cleaning and adjusting will work, unless there are
> > > other issues present....
> > > As far as there being no power to the playfield.... after you've gotten
> > > the drop targets to reset, if you have the same problem, check the ball
> > > count unit... make sure it is adjusted properly too....
> > >
> > > good Luck...
> > >
> > > Fwed
> >
> > When the ball kicks out, the motor stops turning. Operating the drop
> > targets manually does not change things unfortunately. Strangely, there
> > are two banks of drop targets, and only one of them fairs to reset.
> > BUT, this set of targets has never reset since I bought it last week,
> > and I was able to get it working slightly before my cleaning, and they
> > still didn't reset then either.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Dave

run a jumper from the coil on the one that resets, see if that sparks
it to life. If when the working one fires off the non working one
should as well, if so, its ischematic time. youll need to trace back
the circut to the score motor. try that and let us know. if not its a
bad coil and an easy fix

ctsteps5 wrote:
> run a jumper from the coil on the one that resets, see if that sparks
> it to life. If when the working one fires off the non working one
> should as well, if so, its ischematic time. youll need to trace back
> the circut to the score motor. try that and let us know. if not its a
> bad coil and an easy fix

Can you give me exact instructions on how to do this? I'm pretty new at
this stuff, and I want to make sure that I don't short-circuit
anything!

Thanks,

DG

send me a direct e-mail please