[SOLVED] .EML files

Status
Not open for further replies.

PDN

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
I have Windows Mail as an email client. It is too long a story to explain why I am limited to that one without paying.
I have 3 accounts for one.

.EML files are outdated and I feel should not be used.
I think my client is causing me to be involved with this format at times as it is akin to Hotmail and works with Outlook Express.
Thunderbird opens them but I am not savvy enough to use Thunderbird.

Likely I do not totally understand these files but just do not want them in my life. They are particularly make trouble when I am involved with photos.
Another example of lack of compatibility is Apple. It can be a problem too if the sender does not set a photo to 'compatible".

So is there a way to avoid .EML files under these circumstances?
TY

Solution
Could it be my windows mail that is causing the creation of the EML file?

I think I will forward any files to my email account and open them there; hopefully that will allow me to use it as a normal file. maybe I could change the format wen I forward it.
You have all been patient and helpful. Thank you all.

You are creating the file when you save it to your desktop yourself, not the mail program. Yes the program is creating the file, but you are telling it to when you save it the computer.

"Are you saying I should not click 'save' when I get an .EML file?
I did that to be able to copy it to my desktop so I could put them in my album. "

Just keep it saved in your email client, or save it as that eml file or as above...

PDN

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
I am not saving these files.
Whether someone sends them to me or I send them I find them in my computer and other people I might forward to cannot open them. I have some photos .EML and want to view them in my photo album but cannot open some of them.

I am not saving these files.
Whether someone sends them to me or I send them I find them in my computer and other people I might forward to cannot open them. I have some photos .EML and want to view them in my photo album but cannot open some of them.

An EML file is a text email file and to make one you need to save the email. They don't just show up on their own just by using the email client, you need to go to the email then select "Save" to get that file. This is from the description of the file:

"An EML file is an email message saved by an email application, such as Microsoft Outlook or Apple Mail. It contains the content of the message, along with the subject, sender, recipient(s), and date of the message. EML files may also store one or more email attachments, which are files sent with the message."

Reactions: PDN

PDN

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
Are you saying I should not click 'save' when I get an .EML file?
I did that to be able to copy it to my desktop so I could put them in my album.
Please tell me how I know when I receive one of these .EML files and also how to save it to my pc so I can help build my album which I put in my external drive.?
Thanks for your patience - old and sick but trying.

PDN

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019

I think I will forward any files to my email account and open them there; hopefully that will allow me to use it as a normal file. maybe I could change the format wen I forward it.

Last edited:

You are creating the file when you save it to your desktop yourself, not the mail program. Yes the program is creating the file, but you are telling it to when you save it the computer.

"Are you saying I should not click 'save' when I get an .EML file?
I did that to be able to copy it to my desktop so I could put them in my album. "

Just keep it saved in your email client, or save it as that eml file or as above print it as a PDF file if you want to save it outside the email program. Of course that won't save the attachments but those you can just save normally.

This is how you backup the actual mail store using Windows Mail, it states that it's for Vista but would be the same under Win 10 https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4905/backup-windows-mail-messages-and-contacts-in-vista/

Reactions: PDN
Solution

PDN

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
I was able to work around this issue. The pik is actually embedded within the file. So you have to open the .EML file then on the enclosed pik, right click and 'save as'. This gives you the opportunity to 'save a's and select Jpg from the from down. Click on Jpg and it becomes one .
This avoids the cost of a new client or a costly insecure converter.
Thanks to all for helping.

Status
Not open for further replies.