Enabling LBA problem Win2K with SP4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petros90

Reputable
Oct 9, 2015
Hello!
This one's a bit of a puzzle.
It's a while since I installed W2K, and the PC it ran on has long gone to the parts bin in the sky.
I'm now trying to install W2K on my desktop PC, an e-Machines E4264, Core2 Duo, with a 250GB HDD and a paltry 1GB of RAM.
It dual-boots XP and Vista, no problems there.
First I downloaded the latest BIOS (Award-Phoenix) and 'flashed' the BIOS.
Then I downloaded the latest chipset drivers and installed them.
I removed the original HDD and installed a new Seagate 1TB. I ran the W2K setup, which 'saw' 131GB or thereabouts, and carried on (I remembered that I was able to sort this afterwards) and booted up.
I installed SP4.
I went on to the Microsoft site to check out how to be able so 'see' the rest of the drive from W2K and found the registry fix, however looking at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Parameters
'Parameters' is not there, so I can't go any further.

Does this mean that SP4 has not been installed correctly I wonder. Just to be sure, I have downloaded SP4 from the Microsoft site.
There is no 'enable LBA' option anywhere in the BIOS, I assume that it's not there as it's not needed with today's Operating Systems and modern drives over 128 GB.
Of course being me, I had to go and format the unused space using the Vista install disk and of course I now get BSOD and W2K is unable to boot. I'm just running the Setup again.
----
I seem to remember that there was a way to allocate partitions and format the disk from within Setup but these options aren't there. Was there a secret F key that had to be pressed in the boot sequence? It's so long ago, over a decade.
---
Any ideas would be useful and they may jog my memory!
Thank you. Back to the reinstall.
---
Pete
UPDATE 15 Oct 2015 Key now in Registry but cannot alter value

W2K -installed (after 2 aborts), now on 80GB with the balance of the 131GB unallocated.(same 1TB drive)
SP4 downloaded from MS site, installed, rebooted
Now the 'Parameters' key is in the Registry.
BUT - Edit/New D_WORD /etc but cannot change Value from 0 to 0x1 in Hexadecimal (or decimal).
Crikey. What the blooming heck is going on.
I am now stumped, this is as far as I can go, I think.
Any ideas would be very welcome.--
Pete

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
i recently installed Win2k and while i haven't needed to play with super-large drive access, i did install an "unofficial SP5.1" and an "update rollup" courtesy of a guy on YouTube names experienceRCOS

maybe try adding those and see if they auto-fix your issue?

Petros90

Reputable
Oct 9, 2015
Thanks Giantbucket, you are very kind!
I removed the HDD, and kinda thought I would resurrect an older PC purely for running W2K.
You can never have too many PCs.
Thanks for the hed-zup re 5.1, I'll manually record that in The Book (serious) & give that a try, sometime this year, and I will be back to relay my findings.
Win2K is now a serious project, mainly as I want to run my copy of Steinberg Cubase VST32 5.1, tried Cubase 8 and thought well, not much new here, there isn't even a decent gnarly synth like the JX-16, just a generic MIDI synth, and for several hundred pounds ... 'improved audio engine' hype be buggered.
Of course software makers have to keep finding ways to stay in business and keep making profits for the shareholders and pay wages and salaries.
Anyway I'm stumbling on with a new DAW (SONY Acid Pro is the least learning curve and is relatively cheap) and Cubase 5.1 is running nervously on Vista, an operating system three generations ahead of the one it was designed for

Status
Not open for further replies.