Question Enabling XMP causes RAM hardware errors ?

rprathin

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2012
I have assembled a new pc with these components just few days back
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PV9rgB

Mobo - Gigabyte B760M G AX (rev 1.0)
Processor - Core i5 14500
Ram - G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory
PSU - Cooler Master MWE White V2 230V 450 W

Today, while casually browsing the internet with eight tabs open in Google Chrome, my system abruptly crashed with a BSOD. Following this, I searched for the causes of the BSOD on Google and concluded that the XMP profile I today enabled might have been the culprit. To verify this, I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostics test, which revealed hardware errors after only reaching 3% completion. After disabling XMP, the errors disappeared. My bios is up to date with the latest version (F2E) dated April 2024. Sometimes, there's no display after adjusting certain settings in the BIOS, such as when I disabled XMP. Upon rebooting, there was no display, and the EZ Debug VGA LED was illuminated. However, pressing and holding the power button to restart the system resolved this issue, with everything functioning normally again.

Is this related to some bugs in bios which might get resolved with future updates.

Currently speed for the RAM is 4800mhz default which is working fine, will there be major noticeable difference with XMP enabled.

Thanks,
Rathin

rprathin

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2012
Increase DDR voltage to 1.35V.
Then gradually increase DDR frequency. Test after each increase.
i did what you suggested changed the timings, increased the frequency and increased the voltage after doing all this rerun the windows memory diagnostics and there were no hardware errors this time. Lets see if i get BSOD or not. To me everything looks good for now. Currently at 6000 Mhz with timing 36-36-36-96 & 1.35volts

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2024
It sounds like you're experiencing some common issues that can arise with new builds and overclocking settings like XMP (Extreme Memory Profile).

Potential Causes and Solutions:

1. **XMP Profile Issues:**
- **BSOD and Memory Errors:** When enabling XMP, your RAM is being overclocked to run at a higher frequency and lower latency than its default settings. If you’re experiencing crashes and memory errors with XMP enabled, it could be due to instability or compatibility issues.
- **Test RAM Stability:** Try running a more comprehensive memory test like MemTest86. This will give you a clearer picture of whether your RAM is stable at the XMP settings.

2. **BIOS Settings and Updates:**
- **BIOS Bugs:** Sometimes, issues with XMP profiles can be due to bugs or stability issues in the BIOS. Although your BIOS is up-to-date, it's worth checking for any newer updates or known issues related to your specific motherboard model.
- **Reset BIOS:** If you encounter problems after changing settings, it might help to reset the BIOS to default settings and then reconfigure them. Ensure you are following the recommended settings for your components.

3. **Power Supply Considerations:**
- **450W PSU:** A 450W PSU is on the lower end for a system with modern components, especially if you plan to upgrade your GPU or add more components in the future. While it’s unlikely to be the cause of memory errors, a higher-wattage PSU might offer more stability and headroom.

4. **RAM Speed Impact:**
- **Performance Difference:** The difference between running RAM at 4800 MHz vs. 6000 MHz with XMP enabled will be more noticeable in memory-intensive tasks. For gaming and general use, the impact might be marginal, but for tasks that leverage memory bandwidth (e.g., certain applications or multitasking scenarios), the faster RAM could offer some performance improvements.

Recommendations:

1. **Try Adjusting RAM Voltage and Timings:**
- Sometimes, manually adjusting the RAM voltage or timings in the BIOS can help achieve stability with XMP profiles. Ensure you follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for these settings.

2. **Monitor Stability:**
- Keep running stability tests with XMP enabled and monitor your system’s behavior. If you continue to have issues, you might need to adjust the XMP profile settings or stick with default speeds.

3. **Check for BIOS Updates:**
- Periodically check for BIOS updates for your motherboard. Manufacturers often release updates to improve compatibility and resolve issues with components.

4. **Consider a Higher-Wattage PSU:**
- If you plan on upgrading your system or adding more components, consider investing in a higher-wattage PSU to ensure stable power delivery.

I copied this online :) hope it helps