[SOLVED] Enabling XMP Profile Produces Audio Trouble Noise

Jul 23, 2019
Guys, recently I'm upgrading my new rig to ryzen 3000 series, here are my specs:

Ryzen 3600
Asrock b450m Steel Legend (BIOS Updated to latest version)
Patriot Viper 4 Series DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) kit 3400MHz Cl 16-18-18-36 PV416G340C6K
Super Flower Silver Green 600W - 80+ SILVER

I want to ask something about the XMP profile which causes my audio to produce trouble noise and it sounds like crackling noise. I got
Samsung B Die chip for my RAM kit and afaik the chip is quite capable of running the XMP profile easily and also IMC on Ryzen 3000 series is better than the previous generation. Is this because of the defect factor of RAM that I have or the OC RAM capability on my motherboard that doesn't so good?
But audio noise trouble was not heard when I lowered the speed to 3066, I also tried on the XMP profile 1 which run 3400 as default and it can run.
I have not tried synthetic benchmark but I tried directly to play Battlefield 1 multiplayer for approximately 2 full matches running with smooth without BSOD even though noise trouble is still heard.
I also look for similar problems in the forum and found that by reducing the VCCIO and VCCSA voltages can eliminate audio noise trouble but it is available on the Intel platform, I don't really understand and know if VCCIO and VCCSA are included on the AMD platform because I did not find the option settings in the bios, Thanks.

Solution
If you have the "latest" BIOS version, it may be the version with the redacted Agesa code, that has been pulled by AMD but still is listed by most board manufacturers. This creates problems on the PCI circuit AND, I suppose it COULD be relevant. You may need to wait for a newer release to come along that fixes the problem. Supposed to be seeing those new versions before too long as they are aware of it.

https://community.amd.com/thread/227895

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-buggy-agesa-1.0.0.3aba-microcode,39974.html
If you have the "latest" BIOS version, it may be the version with the redacted Agesa code, that has been pulled by AMD but still is listed by most board manufacturers. This creates problems on the PCI circuit AND, I suppose it COULD be relevant. You may need to wait for a newer release to come along that fixes the problem. Supposed to be seeing those new versions before too long as they are aware of it.

https://community.amd.com/thread/227895

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-buggy-agesa-1.0.0.3aba-microcode,39974.html

Solution

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
I've experienced this behavior on my Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac. I had the same problem with a Ripjaws 5 3200 cl 16 kit. Although the machine would post, and boot into windows fine, It had the same garbled audio issue with XMP enabled. Running memtest86 returned a plethora of errors. I was able to get the memory stable by loading XMP and stepping down 1 speed. YMMV.

AsRock's Bios' are a mess right now. I swapped my CPU from a 3600x to a 3600 and it corrupted the bios. I can't get it to post consistently and can't even get into the bios menu at all right now. I think I'm going to have to throw a 1600 back in there and flash the bios again. AHrrrrrrrrgggggg

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
I have not tried synthetic benchmark but I tried directly to play Battlefield 1 multiplayer for approximately 2 full matches running with smooth without BSOD even though noise trouble is still heard.
I also look for similar problems in the forum and found that by reducing the VCCIO and VCCSA voltages can eliminate audio noise trouble but it is available on the Intel platform, I don't really understand and know if VCCIO and VCCSA are included on the AMD platform because I did not find the option settings in the bios, Thanks.
Mine was crashing when trying to run superposition. My cinebench score was also nuked with XMP loaded. I did manage to pass realbench tests though.

The AMD equivalent is the SOC voltage. I played with it a bit and didn't have any luck. I think this might have something to do with the IF clock in the bios version. Since I wasn't really losing any performance by stepping mem speed down 1 notch I didn't bother dinking with it after I passed memtest. I'd just run at slower speed for now and wait for a new Bios revision.

Oct 13, 2019
Figured i'd post this here because I had a similar problem.

3900x on x570. Audio crackle and popping on every sound device. Onboard sound, external dacs, etc.

I set my CPU NB/SOC voltage to 1.1 (was already around there), and the key setting was lowering VDDG to 0.940. That was the fix after trying a million other things.