[SOLVED] Encountered an issue with my PC. Unsure of what to do.

Feb 15, 2019
So I built my new PC about a year ago and it has worked awesome, no problems whatsoever until yesterday. I got a new CPU cooler for my AMD Ryzen 7 2700X and it is the Noctua NH-D15. I turned off my PC, turned off the PSU power button and unplugged the power cable before opening my computer and I made sure to kill off static charge in my hands. I took off the Wraith Prism cooler and it was kinda difficult for some reason even though I correctly detached the mount and cables. At closer inspection, the processor was glued to the thermal paste on the cooler. So that was kinda freaky and I found out that blowing a hair dryer on the thermal paste would loosen things up. I did that for 2 minutes and was able to separate the processor. I looked at every single pin under the processor and somehow nothing was broke or bent. I got very fucking lucky there so I moved onto cleaning off all thermal paste with rubbing alcohol and a sock. Next I lifted the CPU socket lever installed the processor and locked the lever down. I decided that I should take a risk and see if the processor even works still before attempting to put on my new cooler, so I plugged a fan into CPU_Fan1 to kinda blow on the processor. I put all my cables back on then powered the system on. I let it run for probably about a minute and still no POST screen so I felt the processor to see if it was hot and I heard a pop after about 10 seconds. Ummmm yeah, that was a shitty idea and I may have screwed up there, but the processor didn't feel hot. Very stupid move and at this point FUCK IT I installed my new CPU cooler from Noctua and now when I power on my system the DRAM light is solid red and the POST screen will not come up. I don't think my RAM or Motherboard or anything else if screwed up besides my processor most likely because the video card works and all my fans power up. I never did anything with the RAM, BUT I did plug it into all the different slots making sure the snaps on each side click. Still, I get a solid red DRAM light on each DIMM my RAM is plugged into and by the way I have one stick of RAM for my system. No other lights are lit up and I have contacted AMD for warranty of my processor cause I think it's fucked up and making the motherboard think the RAM is garbage. However I don't know what the hell, and maybe somebody here can tell me to do something to further troubleshoot. Maybe I'll get lucky, but I'm kinda thinking people are just gonna say yeah you fucked up your shit.

Here are my system specs if anyone needs to know:

Case - Corsair Carbide Series 270R, Windowed

MBD - MSI X470 GAMING PLUS

PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3

CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 2700X with Noctua NH-D15 cooler

GPU - GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 Ti

RAM - (1x) G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 @ 3400MHz

OS - Windows 10 Home 64 Bit

Storage - Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe M.2 SSD, Samsung Spinpoint M8 1TB HDD

Case Fans - (4x) Noctua iPPC-3000 PWM Fans

Lighting - NZXT Hue+

Solution
I've had that happen to me when I was younger as far as the cpu coming out. Sometimes the thermal paste gets hardened. Sometimes you get lucky if your pulling straight upwards.

A trick another tech friend of mine suggested and that I like to do now, before you do disassemble the cooler from the cpu, start the system up for a couple of minutes. Then shut down. It should heat the CPU, thereby heating the paste a little to hopefully soften it up.

As far as what happened.... Had you put a heatsink on it, I think you would have been fine.

NEVER EVER start a system without a heatsink on a cpu. I'm going to guess that the CPU pretty much overheated and that was the pop you heard. There may not be anything wrong with the board or...

Jonas Taelman

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015
VERY bad idea to not put a heatsink on your CPU. ALWAYS at least a heatsink!!! A CPU's heat dissipates freakishly fast.

Do you have any other systems laying around? Test every single component seperatly step by step in that system.

Wow, it came out with the cooler? Never heard that before. Are you sure the CPU is still in one piece?

So, you checked the pins on the CPU, right? You also need to check the pins in the socket. Look for a disruption in the pattern:

borkedsocket.jpg

Feb 15, 2019
Wow, it came out with the cooler? Never heard that before. Are you sure the CPU is still in one piece?

So, you checked the pins on the CPU, right? You also need to check the pins in the socket. Look for a disruption in the pattern:

borkedsocket.jpg
Yeah my socket just has holes no pins. Anyway I've pretty much figured out that a simple thing as installing a cooler has resulted in a nightmare where my processor, motherboard, and RAM no longer works. Guess I should have followed the golden rule that you shouldn't mess with something that isn't broken. I'm just gonna see if RMA will replace everything instead of spending another $560 on computer parts I used to have. Thanks for trying to help guys.

I've had that happen to me when I was younger as far as the cpu coming out. Sometimes the thermal paste gets hardened. Sometimes you get lucky if your pulling straight upwards.

A trick another tech friend of mine suggested and that I like to do now, before you do disassemble the cooler from the cpu, start the system up for a couple of minutes. Then shut down. It should heat the CPU, thereby heating the paste a little to hopefully soften it up.

As far as what happened.... Had you put a heatsink on it, I think you would have been fine.

NEVER EVER start a system without a heatsink on a cpu. I'm going to guess that the CPU pretty much overheated and that was the pop you heard. There may not be anything wrong with the board or ram. I think the memory controller is built into the CPU. So that's probably why you are having ram issues.

If you have to purchase a new cpu, I don't know if you've got a microcenter near you, but the one here has had a ryzen 1600 on sale for 99 bucks. Plus you can buy an extra warranty with them where you can return parts directly to them and not have to RMA etc.

As far as pins in the cpu socket. Intel has pins in cpu socket. AMD has pins on the bottom of the cpu. Good luck!

Solution
Feb 15, 2019
Ok so for an update I currently have my PC working again. Somehow I have managed to not damage my CPU at all and it turns out that pop sound was the RAM getting fried I guess. Not entirely sure, that's just my theory. AMD took forever to even validate my RMA because my address supposedly doesn't exist so with that maybe RMA process could take forever too. I bought a new AMD 2700X as well as 2 sticks of Corsair Vengeance from Best Buy where I live and basically after I put in the new processor first with my cooler on, the DRAM light still persisted with no POST screen. Then I took out the old RAM and put in the new RAM and everything worked fine. I figured maybe the older CPU would work after that and to my surprise it definitely does. So while I'm waiting for my RAM to get replaced, I'm overclocking my CPU with this cooler because that's what it's for. Currently, it is sitting stable at 4.3 GHz with 1.448 volts at 30-43 °C idle and 68-70°C max. load when running benchmarks. Since I'm new to computer stuff still, is this overclock ok for everyday use? If not, should I back it down to 4.2 GHz with 1.384 volts? I know that is a good stable overclock and the temps are damn cool with those settings.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS