END file in c drive

bobi99mkd

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
I just noticed that a file named END appeared in my c drive and it has no file location. I dont know what is it and should i delete it?

G

Are you sure it's not .RND,

They are normally generated by programs that need to create random numbers, do you have any VMware products installed?

_kaos_

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

Are you sure it the file was opened in notepad and it was not just a empty instance of notepad?
If it was opened in notepad there would be end-notepad in the title
If it was indeed empty I wouldn't worry about it!!

By chance, did you recently used a live linux cd?
Linux makes files like this-they generally have a "." in front of it(hidden file).

The file could also be created by some program as a marker indicating end of directory tree-not necessarily the actual end.

HRHHRH

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013
This is Malware...not severe, but VERY bad.
Run SpyBot Search & Destroy from safer-networking dot org.
Make sure you have the right site - safer WITH a "-" (dash) and .org - NOT .com.

steve39tex

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013

I got the same. Think it came in when I downloaded yesterday, what looks like a bogus message to update Firefox to the latest edition

Curtis Bee

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013

I have that same zero byte file also. I deleted it and nothing seems different.

leroi

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
I just found this too. Here is what I found when researching the issue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browser_hijacking#Conduit_Search

"Browser hijacking is the modification of a web browser's settings. The term "hijacking" is used as the changes are performed without the user's permission. A browser hijacker may replace the existing home page, error page, or search page with its own.[1] These are generally used to force hits to a particular website, increasing its advertising revenue.

Some browser hijacking can be easily reversed, while other instances may be difficult to reverse. Various software packages exist to prevent such modification."

On that same page, more information about Conduit, the source of the END file.

"Conduit Search: Conduit toolbars have been identified as Potentially Unwanted Programs by Malwarebytes[2] and are typically bundled with other free downloads.[3][4] The toolbars modify the browser default search engine, homepage, and several other browser settings."

From another forum:

"I have it too and opened it up in notepad - 1 line and says "ConduitOK." That Conduit search tracking hijack software is all over my machine making it hard to fully remove it clean. They should be thrown in jail for creating this."

Here is what seems to be a good guide to removal, though I have not tried it yet.

http://blog.yoocare.com/how-to-get-rid-search-conduit-com-hijacker-manually/

I thought I would also note that while I have this END file, found via Spy-Bot Search & Destroy v2.2, I do not have the symptoms noted in the links above, so I am still considering the issue and course of action. I just "cleaned it" with SpyBot and will see how it goes. If it shows up again, I will follow the cleaning steps in the link above.

There are fake/malware versions of SpyBot out there, typically on *.com sites, so be sure to find this site:

http://www.safer-networking.org/

Also, my anti-virus/malware application never identified this. I am using MSSE currently.

Update: I just realized why I may not have been experiencing the issues typically reported for this malware. I use a lot of software, usually downloaded from Filehippo, but other places too. Anyhow, whenever you install what seems to be legit software - and it may be legit - sometimes you see that it offers additional software, for which you have the option to install or not. However, sometimes "the option" is worded and or displayed in such a manner that it seems you do not have a choice, that it is part of the program you are installing, or something similar. Recently I noticed one that had the "skip" choice - the choice that would prevent the software from installing - as a very subtle, grayed out button in an area of the page you would not think to look for an option to decline installation.

So, the reason I may not have had the issues is that when I do accidentally install such add on software, I realize it soon after and remove it from Windows ( Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features ). The file may have been a remnant from such a scenario. FWIW.

GamerOfNerds

Reputable
Sep 13, 2015

Umm check again I use windows 8 *Gulp* it says END called file was added to my pc at 2:28 Am when I was checking stuff out and clearing pc from stuff and (Time I sent message 9/12/2015) And it said Im scared the fuck out 9132015 and if u think of it its tomorrow so Hope I msg back and not dead or some shit what ever this end files made for Idc but 9/13/2015 here I come ill see if I can show u an image of it
Im scared shit less right now and I may plan to destroy this computers ram storage and Hard drive and not use this pc tomarrow so :) fun I guess ill see if my shits working tomarrow and im alive

NobleSR4

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015

After cleaning it up with MBAR I got 8.6GB of storage freed, although it also said to me that it's "0 bytes"