Endless Coil Whine Trouble

Nov 4, 2018
I finished a build about a month ago that's been nothing but a nightmare, don't even know where to start. I was having EMI issues, then found out there was coil whine also. The coil whine is my main concern at the moment. It is almost constant, and fluctuates when I move my mouse regardless of what I'm doing.

I've RMA'd both the PSU and motherboard at this point. Just put in the replacement board today and the coil whine is worse. Every time I've tested without the GPU installed, so that's not the issue. I've tried different outlets throughout the house. I've tried my old PC on the same outlets and with the same mouse and no coil whine there. It sounds like it's coming from the RAM/CPUish area.

I've wondered if it's one of the PWM fans on the front of the case or on the CPU cooler, or maybe something with the front panel cables of the case but I have no idea. Can the CPU itself cause coil whine? RAM?

I feel defeated, please save me lol. Haven't been this discouraged with PC building before. At this point I'm thinking about spending the money I saved for a monitor and just buying a different board, case, and a couple fans.

Specs:
i7-8700K
Scythe Mugen 5 rev. b cooler
16 gb 3200 g.skill ram
MSI RTX 2080
ASRock z370 Extreme4 (cursed mobo)
EVGA Supernova G3 850

unfortunately, coil whine is just unavoidable sometimes. you could try a battery backup if you have one around. maybe that psu is just a bad combo for that mobo, try a different one if you can. wouldn't hurt to disconnect the internal fans just to troubleshoot. also, it may be coming through your speakers if you are using the onboard sound on your mobo. perhaps see if it does it with no speakers connected. you can buy a pcie sound card or external interface.

Nov 4, 2018

I thought it was only audio related, but with no headphones there is audible coil whine, especially with mouse movement. I've thought about a ups, but it seems strange that my old pc is silent on the same outlets. I may replace the board also.. it's probably going to have to be one or the other for now ufortunately. I'm lost at this point honestly.

i'd maybe try an entirely different board if possible. I used to have a board that did the same thing when I moved the mouse even after a replacement. I never fixed it though because it wasn't that bad and I ended up selling it shortly after I built it.