Energy saving and enhanced system efficiency question.

scooter69

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
My problem is, I cannot get the CPU to stay at its factory speed of 3.0GHz, and it keeps fluctuating between 2.0GHz and 3.0GHz. I've tried different settings in the BIOS, such as setting the CPU and RAM timings and frequencies. Every time I change any of the CPU or RAM setting it says the BIOS is corrupt (I think, don't remember, exactly) and starts loading the recovery BIOS. What am I missing? This issue really makes me want to swap it out for an ASUS board and do away with this problem once and for all...

PS. I've tried changing the setting in the boards OC. software and even uninstalled it, but yet the problem continues.

Any info or help would be great. System info is below, if it helps.
Thanks

System Information report written at: 10/23/13 19:17:09
System Name:
[System Summary]
Item Value
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model GA-E7AUM-DS2H
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, 3000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F1, 10/14/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name
Time Zone
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 2.25 GB
Available Physical Memory 850 MB
Total Virtual Memory 4.50 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.66 GB
Page File Space 2.25 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Solution
the FSB speed is way out of whack... omg... yeah... something is violently wrong with your bios. i know you've updated it. see what you can do about updating it again.

scooter69

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009

Nope. I updated the BIOS to f4 for this board, and it's still automatically dropping the multiplier from x9 to x6 depending on the load. I'm using CPUz but Speedfan shows it staying at 3.0GHz. I don't think Speedfan is right due to the fact it's really slugish when I first start loading the CPU.

scooter69

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009

CPU temps haven't ever gotten over 43 degrees celsius and I can watch it constantly flicker 5-7 times in 10 seconds versious getting hot and throtling down till it cools off then back to stock speed till it gets hot again.

I'm starting to think that Gigabyte's Dynamic Energy Saver is built into the board and it does it's thing regardless of BIOS settings. I think I'll start looking for a good ASUS board like I should have to begin with.

Thanks for the ideas thought.

if you can't turn off the energy saving features in your bios, go into windows, and go to the power profiles, make sure it's set to aggressive (or whatever it's called) and no power saving is called for by the OS. sometimes these problems are caused by windows.

scooter69

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
ly9n.jpg

Here are the numbers.

scooter69

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
There is easy oc. in the BIOS, but I've tried the "auto", "linked" and "unlinked" settings and set the FSB and RAM timings and everytime I change to anything other than "auto" it crashes and starts reloading the backup BIOS. I use to set the FSB on this chip to 400MHz and leave it there when it was on my ASUS Maximum II Formula. It ran awesome! This Gigabyte board works for all intended purposes, but has been a PITA from day one when I was setting up the AHCI. I think this board would work better in someone else computer, and I'll get another ASUS.

Thanks for everyone input, I conclude the board has issues, although "working" I think it's time has come. Sad, it has less than a year of run
time on it.