[SOLVED] Enermax RevoBron ED.2 700W PSU OK?

hornirl

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2014
Recently upgraded to i7-4790K CPU (OC'ed 4.8GHz) and a GTX 1060 3GB card (also OC'ed some)- from an i5-4690K/GTX750ti combo. My PSU (Corsair CX430 (2017)) is struggling (occasional BSOD) with the new load which from HWInfo would seem to be up to 244W (CPU) and 135 (GPU). I've also got 4 SSDs (2 on PCIE slots), 1 HDD, Enermax Liqmax III RGB 120m cooling and a couple of fans with an ASUS z97 Gryphon mobo.

Looking around there's an Enermax RevoBron ED.2 700W PSU on sale at my Amazon Warehouse for c$40 equivalent (less manual, a tie or two in slightly damaged box), which seems handy enough (with 2x12v rails- c350W each) for a 700W+ total PSU. Been 5 years since I looked at PSUs but Enermax used to be reputable outfit, though I can't find much on this unit.

Is there anything desperately bad about this unit I should be aware of, outside of usual caveats of it's a return and perhaps a little long in the tooth design-wise? Future-proofing- given my CPU my top GPU upgrade is probably a 2060 Super, so 175W (maybe 200W peak) for that, and the 350W on 12V rail 2 should cover?

I just need it to last the c3 years warranty then I'll be onto a whole new platform. Thanks.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 362816

To my knowledge only the Platinumax and revolution are considered good tier power supplies.

I am running a 650 revolution with no issues has been a great power supply.

hornirl

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2014
Thanks guys, appreciated. Platinumax and Maxtytan are further up the food chain, but if they're good and the brand reputable (and with the review from Rolli59 referenced), the RevoBron seems good enough. Since it appeared a little later too at Amazon Warehouse, I switched up to this 700W model for the same $40 price.

Last edited:

hornirl

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2014
JonnyGuru seems an authority on PSUs, used to write a well-regarded PSU blog? One of his team reviewed this PSU, now only available on Wayback here if anyone else is looking at this unit. 1 Q I had answered here not readily apparent anywhere else is how are the 2x12V rails distributed cable-wise? Turns out 1 is for the non-modular cables to power CPU/Mobo, the other for everything else.

Also it would seem these are end of life/discontinued units, but @ $40 for 700W reasonably distributed over 2 rails and given this (good) review, that's OK for me.