Question Engenius EOC1650 Having setup issues

dcapper

Distinguished
May 2, 2012
I'm trying to setup this Engenius unit as a wireless bridge. It's for my vacation home and my neighbor said why pay for internet when I'm only here a few months of the year. So I have this unit pointed at his house. I get a great signal and I'm logged into his wifi. But for some reason I cannot get to a webpage. I've tried different settings and nothing seems to work. Do I need to use WDS mode? Any ideas would be great.

First thing to try is to be sure you can actually get a pc or phone to work directly connected to the neighbors wifi. It could be something strange with his setup.

In many cases you must use WDS when you use a bridge. It depends on the bridge device. In simple bridge mode only one mac address can use the connection. In addition the bridge must at least translate this address to its mac address because the far end expects the mac to match the mac address used for the encryption.

If you are attempting mulitple devices behind the bridge you have to use WDS since that is the hack used to get past mulitple mac addresses. The router must also support WDS.....some routers need special configuration since it is considered a security issue.

Not sure if the engenius can run in "router" mode. This will solve the WDS issues since all traffic will now come from a single IP and single mac address.

dcapper

Distinguished
May 2, 2012
Thank you. I can connect with his router with my iPhone no problem. His router is 10.0.01 and gives me an ip of 10.0.0.91. Subnet of 255.0.0.0. DNS of 75.75.75.75 and 75.75.75.76. I tried putting in static ips on the engenius but it didn’t work. The only device that will be connected is the camera system.

kanewolf

Titan
Thank you. I can connect with his router with my iPhone no problem. His router is 10.0.01 and gives me an ip of 10.0.0.91. Subnet of 255.0.0.0. DNS of 75.75.75.75 and 75.75.75.76. I tried putting in static ips on the engenius but it didn’t work. The only device that will be connected is the camera system.
With a netmask of 255.0.0.0, I would definitely run in client router mode. The user's manual is here -- https://www.engeniustech.com/resources/EOC1650_UsersManual_20081217.pdf PDF page 11 discusses switching to client router mode.
The dns of 75.75.75.75 is Comcast secure DNS. It is possible that is not supported somehow by your equipment. Using client router mode, you can use a different DNS.

What I did to setup client router mode on a similar Engenius device was use my phone as a hotspot. Setup everything so that your network works with the phone in hotspot as the "internet" Then just change the WIFI signal you are linked to be the neighbor.

dcapper

Distinguished
May 2, 2012
With a netmask of 255.0.0.0, I would definitely run in client router mode. The user's manual is here -- https://www.engeniustech.com/resources/EOC1650_UsersManual_20081217.pdf PDF page 11 discusses switching to client router mode.
The dns of 75.75.75.75 is Comcast secure DNS. It is possible that is not supported somehow by your equipment. Using client router mode, you can use a different DNS.

What I did to setup client router mode on a similar Engenius device was use my phone as a hotspot. Setup everything so that your network works with the phone in hotspot as the "internet" Then just change the WIFI signal you are linked to be the neighbor.

I seemed to be locked out of the unit and unfortunately there is no way to reset it from the Poe so I have to bring down the tower. Ugh. I have Comcast in my house but it’s going through an Asus router. When I go back north I cancel my service. I’ll reset it and try to connect to my setup and see where it goes. My DNS settings is where I’m get confused I think. Or my search domains. Oh should I be setting static ips in the engenius?

dcapper

Distinguished
May 2, 2012
So I reset the unit. Programmed it as a client router. Gave it an ip of 192.168.1.100 and the lan ip of 192.168.1.99. Gave my macbook an ip of 192.168.1.101 and I lost connectivity. My Asus router (my network) shows the device connected. But I can't reach it. I'm obviously doing something wrong.

dcapper

Distinguished
May 2, 2012
Update: I got it working as a client bridge on my network. All ip's are static. Set my Engenius ip to 192.168.1.100. My macbook to 192.168.1.101. Set the gateway on the Engenius to 192.168.1.1 to access the Asus router. Set the subnets to 255.255.255.0 and the dns to 75.75.75.75 and .76. My concern is when I try the neighbors, he's not using an Asus router. He's using the Comcast one they gave him.