Engineering a New Build - AMD Questions

ehmkec

Reputable
Aug 31, 2017
Is there any measurable gain of any kind in pairing a AMD gpu with a AMD cpu in a build? Specifically I am thinking about the new Ryzen and Vega AMD products.

HamBown81

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017
Some would say yes, but I don't know if it is the case. This is a good read https://www.techspot.com/article/1374-amd-ryzen-with-amd-gpu/

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I wouldn't think so, but it depends on what you are after.

For many years the ATI division was forced to test with Intel chips since AMD's alternative didn't show it off properly. That momentum is probably still present to an extent.

If you are gaming, Intel is still a good choice. If you are gaming/streaming, Ryzen is the better deal. If you are doing workstation work that requires CPU performance, Ryzen again. Vega is conceivably a better workstation card as well, since it doesn't have the artificial limits that Nvidia places on its cards, but for the money, and power consumption, I would still say stick with Nvidia.

If you are a miner and can afford it, definitely Vega/Ryzen.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

It makes no difference at all.
You get the performance of what ever processor you use be it Intel or AMD and the same thing with the video card you get the performance of the video card no matter what brand processor you use.
Even for mining the less power you use the more profit you make most are using a GTX 1070 you can usually lower the power consumption to the 70% area and it still be stable for mining.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Years ago, amd had a better cpu than Intel (K5/6) so that was a bonus. ATI was better than everybody but 3dfx. Then amd bought out ATI. So for slightly older builds, the combination of amd/ATI was great. Then with nvidia acquisition of 3dfx and others, and Intel stepping up its game, from that time on until today the top cpu/gpu slots have pretty much been all intel/nvidia with the exception of 4k gaming which belonged to the radeon R9 295x2 for quite some time. Now comes Ryzen, with double the threads for less than a comparable Intel and Haswell IPC. For the money, it's unbeatable, again. Takes an i7-7700k to top them in games, but in production software some programs can almost double the Intel speeds requiring a 2011-3 to come close to keeping up with a R5 1600. Large disparity there for the expenditures. With Vega, so far the flagship was found lacking in gaming performance, yet requires more power and costs are equitable to nvidia top line, so nvidia back on top.
Budget gaming nvidia/Ryzen
Enthusiast gaming nvidia/intel
Mining nvidia /Ryzen
Hardcore production Vega /Ryzen

Does it make a difference? In real life, no. The performance of either is equitable for most ppl, it's only professionals who will benefit from tailoring builds, using a Ryzen with a Quadro for fast budget production etc. For everyone else, it's a matter of choosing the better performance for budget. You'd not want to mine with an i3/5 and gtx1050ti when a Ryzen 3/5 and Rx 470/570 will get double the performance at a similar price.

ehmkec

Reputable
Aug 31, 2017

Thanks for the advice. I suspected as much. I have a freesync monitor (Asus MG279Q) and I have been trying to design a new rig around it. That's a stupid thing to do since my PC budget is $2k-$3k. At this point I am going to let the 'freesync' thing go and go with Nvidia. The monitor will still work great without that one feature.

It's kind of fun designing a build. I hate to settle on something and hit 'buy' and then go 'duh' when I see a review or advice 10 minutes later. But at least now if I get a GTX1080 or GTX1080ti I will be in the same boat as hundreds of thousands of others. Not too bad a boat to be in I'm thinking.

So thanks again and if you have any component advice please let me know. Right now I'm looking for the best cooler for the Intel 7800X since I read it runs a little hot.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's a 7800x. Go big or go home. And you have the budget to do it. 280mm AIO minimum, a 360mm would be better and best would be a full custom loop.
MG279Q is a nice 1440p/144Hz Monitor. The 1080 can handle it, be like a 1060 on a 1080p, you'll be pushing it to get min fps at ultra settings above refresh, right on the edge for many new games. A 1080ti would be like stepping up to a 1070, enough power to get the job done in 97% of games without an issue. For a 1440p/144Hz it's worth the upgrade if budget allows.