Engineering Sample of AMD Steamroller APU Spotted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
The 'slow clocks' could be there for several reasons - some of which could be:
1. Architectural changes that brought it close if not up to par with Intel in clock per clock (so there's no reason for too high clock speeds) - and their Turbo would actually be able to sustain 2.3 GhZ at all times whereas Intel chips cannot sustain their higher clocks for long periods of time and will be closer to their base clocks most of the time (which are sitting at around 2.4GhZ for mobile i7 quads).
2. This could be a lower end chip (akin to A6 or A8) and not high end - might also be for tablets and hybrid type systems (explaining why its clocked lower).
3. This is an engineering sample that shouldn't be misunderstood for the 'end product' (which could easily be different) and is used primarily for testing purposes before other engineering samples based on the end product arrive.

And there are other possible explanations to be taken into account.

m32

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
"KV Spectre Mobile 35W"

People itch about clock speeds without really reading the article. I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure this is an mobile part.

ayushde

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2013
The clocks are a bit too low.....Maybe the Apu will make up for it with better IPC...Lets just hope that steamroller it a success....It'll make Intel work harder too

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009

Most likely. Might not even be Steamroller, anyway.

The ones that post on just about every article and are formatted like:

My xyz [friend|family member] makes $<big number> just by working a few hours a week on the computer
<spam link>

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011

Really? I would've never guessed... except:
The last bit, the "05_1304," reportedly indicates that the GPU part will be the AMD1304.1 "KV Spectre Mobile 35W" GPU that will run at 0.5 GHz.

csf60

Honorable
May 11, 2012

You know, that may actually be the exact code they use lol.

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011

My xyz [friend|family member] makes $ just by working a few hours a week on the computer

I figured as much, but thus far, I have not noticed spam based posts here, hence why I asked the question in the first place.

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011

My xyz [friend|family member] makes $ just by working a few hours a week on the computer

I figured as much, but thus far, I have not noticed spam based posts here, hence why I asked the question in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.