exDeee

Commendable
Jun 18, 2017
Specs

RX 580 4GB FOC
E5 1607 v2 3ghz
16gb ddr2 / ddr3 not sure

The xeon is my bottleneck.
If this isnt enough could i just purchase a b450 tomahawk , an R5 2600 and snap everything back together? Would that be possible without any incompatabilities?
Im going to check what ram exactly i have , and check if everything is compatible on pcpartpicker.

Planning to get the Oculus Rift.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
List your current specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Then state how much you're willing to go if we do suggest an upgrade. We will also need to know your location, and your preferred site for purchase. What sort of apps or games will you tax the system with?

Reactions: exDeee
Ok, I think you will be fine for most VR applications. Heavier games will be a problem for you. The Xeon E5 1607 v2 is going to be a little weak for high end games, as it is basically an Ivy Bridge (3rd gen) i5 (4 cores 4 threads at 3 GHz). Your current setup is most assuredly with DDR 3 as well.

That Ryzen setup will be superior for VR gaming, but will require newer DDR 4 RAM.

Honestly, I don't see a reason here to not purchase the Rift. You'll be ok with over 90% of VR content and if there is something you really want to play that your current system can't handle, then there is no reason you can't upgrade later.

Reactions: exDeee

exDeee

Commendable
Jun 18, 2017
Ok, I think you will be fine for most VR applications. Heavier games will be a problem for you. The Xeon E5 1607 v2 is going to be a little weak for high end games, as it is basically an Ivy Bridge (3rd gen) i5 (4 cores 4 threads at 3 GHz). Your current setup is most assuredly with DDR 3 as well.

That Ryzen setup will be superior for VR gaming, but will require newer DDR 4 RAM.

Honestly, I don't see a reason here to not purchase the Rift. You'll be ok with over 90% of VR content and if there is something you really want to play that your current system can't handle, then there is no reason you can't upgrade later.
Thank you for the answer , ill keep all this in mind. I was thinking about Skyrim VR, checked the price and changed my mind in an instant ;D. Thank you this is really useful information.

One question , is the minecraft vivecraft mod only for the vive? Minecraft is the main game im planning to play... Looks really fun. And sorry for the late answers.

Last edited:
Thank you for the answer , ill keep all this in mind. I was thinking about Skyrim VR, checked the price and changed my mind in an instant ;D. Thank you this is really useful information.

One question , is the minecraft vivecraft mod only for the vive? Minecraft is the main game im planning to play... Looks really fun. And sorry for the late answers.
Sorry for taking a while to get back to you. Honestly, I'm not sure. I use I play Minecraft VR on a WMR headset, so it is a seamless experience. From everything I know Oculus has a version in their store, so there should be a mod or something if you have the original version.

exDeee

Commendable
Jun 18, 2017
Sorry for taking a while to get back to you. Honestly, I'm not sure. I use I play Minecraft VR on a WMR headset, so it is a seamless experience. From everything I know Oculus has a version in their store, so there should be a mod or something if you have the original version.
No problem. I think that the mod is also for the rift considering that they have the rift logo on show at the vivecraft mod webpage so thats fantastic news.
I just read (on youtube comments so idk) that a potato motherboard is going to struggle with an oculus because of usb power... Is this true?
I own an 09M8Y8 Dell Desktop board, id consider it pretty potato ;D
Thanks

Mar 5, 2019
Just run the rift checker on their site. If you meet the basic level you're gtg, but like the above post stated you might run into some issues.
From my personal experience the rift is mostly a RAM hog and has been my major issue with it.

No problem. I think that the mod is also for the rift considering that they have the rift logo on show at the vivecraft mod webpage so thats fantastic news.
I just read (on youtube comments so idk) that a potato motherboard is going to struggle with an oculus because of usb power... Is this true?
I own an 09M8Y8 Dell Desktop board, id consider it pretty potato ;D
Thanks
You have a Xeon system. Usually Dell builds those systems to be pretty robust. I'd be more worried about the sheer number of ports the Rift requires. As far as power goes, you should be fine.

exDeee

Commendable
Jun 18, 2017
You have a Xeon system. Usually Dell builds those systems to be pretty robust. I'd be more worried about the sheer number of ports the Rift requires. As far as power goes, you should be fine.
I heard that you need 3 ports - 1 for the rift , 2 for the sensors... although many people say that you need a 3rd sensor for the best experience , ive read enough reviews saying thats bull and 2 is fine. I've got 4 usb ports at the front of the case and the back also has 4 ports, so i should be fine ;D
Thanks.

Mar 5, 2019
I picked up the third sensor because I was sick of playing beatsaber and one of my sabers just flying off into nowhere. and losing a hand during intense robo recall fights.
The difference is night and day truly - and then last night I finally got them off their posts and up onto the walls - absolutely brilliant though now my rooms feels like there are three cameras watching me....