Enter to Win in Our Asus X79 System Design Challenge

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peteer01

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Haven't heard about the round 2 or round 3 winners... Definitely hoping that two Tom's readers are (or will soon be) enjoying the fantastic news regarding an unexpected Christmas present from Tom's.

Marcus Yam

Splendid
Jul 1, 2008
[citation][nom]spp85[/nom]Dont get cheated friends, toms hardware wont give or declare any winners for example take the example of the recent contest of explaing Samsung SSD to mother contest, toms hardware said they would declare winners at dec 16th then what happened ? Nothing. So we users should not get cheated by these FAKE Toms hardware contests.[/citation]
We're still working on getting the winners cleared from Samsung.

The GOOD NEWS is that Tom's Hardware won, so that means 15 of you guys will be getting SSDs.

A worldwide contest is harder to operate, so please be patient.

mildgamer001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
would all of you people from other countries other than the US stop bitching? it is originally and mainly US based website, they hace restrictions and laws etc that they have to abide by and work with. if you have a problem with it go make your own site or find one based in your country if you want to do contests, that or, the easier route, stop complaining!

kishow

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
[citation][nom]g-unit1111[/nom]It's doable - but some of the other components - like RAM and HD are ridiculously overpriced too.[/citation]

Condensation & short circuits...... i wouldn't do that if were you.. even with a nice dehumidifier in the vicinity of your comp.

island_dj

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
I waited until the contest was closed to post this, because I don't want to sound like sour grapes, but the system picked for the "coolest" build won't work. Without a pump to circulate the fluid and a heat exchanger to cool it, that system will sit in a bath of hot oil and die. I get the "coolness" factor of an immersion cooling build, but it should work to be considered. I wonder how many people didn't spec such a build because it's not feasible within the allotted budget.

george21546

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]bobusboy[/nom]I actually have a vent running from a modified hole window (when it's opened) to the intake vent on my pc using that flexible hose stuff for clothes dryers. Only works in the middle of winter but i get less than 20*C under load on my GPU when its -20 or so.It's probably really hard on my pc's components to do that though.[/citation]

Your humidity must be very low. Taking outside air in a warm machine will cause condensation.

wydileie

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]island_dj[/nom]I waited until the contest was closed to post this, because I don't want to sound like sour grapes, but the system picked for the "coolest" build won't work. Without a pump to circulate the fluid and a heat exchanger to cool it, that system will sit in a bath of hot oil and die. I get the "coolness" factor of an immersion cooling build, but it should work to be considered. I wonder how many people didn't spec such a build because it's not feasible within the allotted budget.[/citation]

I agree with you. I considered it, but quickly had to do away with that idea because of expense, especially in a really tight $1500 budget. Technically it will work though... just not very long.

I also don't think the $5000 system was the best choice because the OCZ Revo Drive 3 X2 is the clear choice for an enthusiast PC and would blow away those SSDs in RAID 0 (which is a bad idea anyway because you lose TRIM support).

Congrats to the winners though, you guys look like you put a lot of time and effort into your builds despite my disagreements about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.