Enthusiastics, any recommendations? High-End gaming/autoCAD 780 build

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Solution
im pretty sure you heard of it when you are in vancouver or toronto.

get the ud3h. the ud5h isnt really worth the extra cost when they perform exactly the same

the ax 850 and the xfx 850 are both single rail psus. i think you are talking about modularity of the cables. both psus are fully modular. non-modular psus are slightly more efficient but 80+ gold is pretty efficient anyways

Marcus_CA

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
Are you familiar with how much memory AutoCAD MEP really needs to run smoothly? I'm asking because I just noticed on the Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H max RAM capacity is 32GB (and no 64-bit?). Would I have to swap to X79s?

Edit:
Recommendations say 4 GB RAM or more (for 3D modeling which I'll do), although the computers at my work have 64GB ...
Source: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=18535892&linkID=9240937#section4

Source: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4481#sp
"4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 32 GB of system memory
* Due to a Windows 32-bit operating system limitation, when more than 4 GB of physical memory is installed, the actual memory size displayed will be less than the size of the physical memory installed."

Marcus_CA

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
If you have spare time, could you briefly explain to me how water cooling works? I'm trying to understand how they work so I could semi-custom my cooling.

What I know so far and what I'm asking myself ... I had a standard dual-140mm radiator, with the tubes, on my CPU with 2 fan exhausts above the radiator. Although, I've seen people use a radiator with 4 fans attached in the front of the chassis; I assume intakes and exhausts? What will that do - cool off the air that's coming in? So, technically, more room and more cooling desire, you just throw in more radiators with fans?

... am I even getting the terms right?

PS; I just slapped this build together as a wishlist, hehe
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Marcus_CA/saved/23Qu

Thanks again,
Marcus

lets fix that list first
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/1m03q

-the 4770k is a better buy. its only 3-5 seconds slower at most while being 400 dollars cheaper. you are never going to use 64gb of ram. never unless you are rendering for disney or something like that
-the stock paste is better than silver 5 without the bs 200 hrs of curing time
-the z87x-ud3h is perfect for the i7 4770k. if i was ever to get x79 however, id get a x79-up4. half the price, same performance
-dominator platinums are a scam. nuff said
-there is no reason to get a 840 pro when it barely performs better than a mainstream drive in real life
-you dont use Red drives on a desktop. if you want high capacity, go seagate. its not like they are worse or anything. in fact they perform better for much much cheaper
-770s in the first place cannot use 4gb of vram and for gaming, you might as well just get a 780 instead. if you were thinking of using them for workstation purposes, forget it. it doesnt do anything
-unless you have 300 dollar headphones, the stx isnt worth your time. headphones dont need a sound card. nuff said
-there are better cases out there than the plasticky switch 810
-extra fans arent needed. the stock ones work just as well
-overkill psu
-you better be watching blu-rays or you are throwing money in the garbage can. as far as i know, 90% of people dont watch blu-rays
-dont get crappy keyboards
-get a better mouse

Marcus_CA

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
Thanks for your in depth opinions and sorry for the late response; I never got a notification email!

I replied in your quote to make it easier to read (even though the bold kills my eyes).

Updated: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Marcus_CA/saved/23Qu

ps; I now know the difference between water coolers and radiators, sort of ... just the "do I have to put on my own fans on them myself" or "do most dual/triple 120mm/140mm radiators come with their own kit" and which set or radiator should I go for (knowing I need/want a dual 120mm with no personal fans on hand). I was going to find out all of this once I get the case and personal start customizing myself.

-you are paying way more than you need to for memory that performs worse. it would be stupid to do so

sandisk is always well known. its 50 bucks cheaper and performs in real life the same.

red drives are for nas storage systems

if you are not going to use blu-ray, there is no reason to keep any part of the blu-ray moniker.

a good keyboard has a steel backplate and will not flex. the razer for sure does not have the steel backplate. it feels completely different if you type with a steel backpalte keyboard

the PB278q is a 1440p panel. you get more enjoyment in my opinion from higher resolution rather than higher speed. if you dont want to keep it, go back to the vg248

drop the 4gb 770s. get a single 780 and be done with things. 4gb 770s cant even use 4gb of vram. its also money to the garbage can

sandisk is always well known. its 50 bucks cheaper and performs in real life the same.
No they do not. Samsung do have 5 year warranty. SanDisk do have 3 year.
And samsung do work better in RAID 0
SanDiskk do have fast Extreme 2 and that is about same price as the samsung pro.
Samsung make own NAND chips. And that is why they are so fast. They just are the better than others.
Real world performance? What is that? I think really we do not know how someone is using his build after it has been put together. So where is prove of this? That sandisk is really as fast as the samsung pro?

Id like to know what kind of uild this BigTroll really do have :) Id get this and that. But in real world what is under the hood? Id just like to know :)

I like Dell UltraSharp U2713HM monitor.

ahh the warranty argument. in 3 or 5 years, you arent going be keeping your system anyways. if a drive is to fail, it will fail within a year. both of them have around the same MTBF. tacking a 5 year warranty is marketing so that you would buy a drive solely for warranty.

raid 0 is useless. forget it.

yeah. so does sandisk. they have their own fab with Toshiba. nice try there.

if i gave you 2 systems with different sata 3 ssds, you would be able to tell the difference between the 2 other than in benchmarks. it doesnt get more real world than this

please, if you are to argue with me, at least type with proper grammar and in proper sentences. if you are going to throw out insults again, for sure i will issue out bans to your 3 accounts

if i gave you 2 systems with different sata 3 ssds, you would be able to tell the difference between the 2 other than in benchmarks. it doesnt get more real world than this

I bet I m anle to notice the difference. I did run test with one SSD and two RAID 0 and not is RAID.
and RAID 0 was the fastest way to do it.

Marcus_CA

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
-I meant I'll switch to Vengeance (from the expansive Dominator models) instead of Patriot for the cosmetic look and brand even with the slower speed. I doubt 1600 and 1866 makes that much of a difference, does it?

Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $279.99
vs
Patriot Viper 3 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $275.99

-I'll choose the Scandisk you suggested if you can help me understand why you wouldn't choose Kingston (for example) that has same specs but goes for even cheaper. Are they (Kingston's SSDs) known to fail through time? The Scandisk has 2 reviews compared to 49 so I'm still iffy on saving just $50 on that decision.

Kingston: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/kingston-internal-hard-drive-sv200s3256g
vs
Scandisk: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/sandisk-internal-hard-drive-sdssdhp256gg25

-Wouldn't having a SLI setup help having dual or triple monitor?

AxlFone, you don't need to call people out on this thread. This thread is solely to get informed on what's worth getting (best bang for the buck) and what is not.

so, why would you pay more for something that is slower (even though its minute). its 240 dollars by the way. in canada you dont buy from newegg
http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B008RH23Q2/?tag=pcp0f-20

the ssds are in a completely different tier. the v200 series are the bottom of the line drives that kingston puts out. there isnt any reason to get the kingston drive. the v300 series however are a decent buy

a 780 is more suitable for if you want to expand to 3 panels. first of all however, id try it out instore. otherwise you blow 900 dollars on panels that you wont enjoy.

yes. 4gb versions are not future proof when the gpu itself isnt powerful enough to drive it. sure, the part of the 770s having more performance per dollar, but a single 780 will drive your 1440p more than well enough

do not use 770s for a 1440p panel. thats where a 7970 or a 780 are your best bets

Marcus_CA

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
Do you mind me asking so many questions? I always end up finding more but I'll eventually run out, right? :) I try to learn before asking for an opinion.

For the storage, since I'm learning about Raid 0 and Raid 1 now, would it wiser (or over-cautious) to downgrade to 2tb (from 3) and have a 2nd to setup raid 1?

And I assume setting up Raid 0 with 2 SSD would just be overkill to spend that much?

Marcus_CA

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013

Isn't it meant to mirror and if one fails, the other lives? If not, well, what is there?

Marcus_CA

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013

You're saying if a drive breaks the other could follow making it a risk. So the only certain solution or alternative would be to simply setup a server for data security (that's the only I know of anyways)?

Marcus_CA

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
Any general tips on radiators?