[SOLVED] Entire System Broken?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
Hello, recently yesterday and today I've been having some huge issues with my pc: one of my keyboards ceased to function, my pc now takes a couple of MINUTES to wake from sleep, all of my games are running very poorly, and the pc in general is acting extremely slow. The only change I made prior to this happening was replacing my 520W power supply with a new 750W one. So far, I've used Driver Booster to install 23 new drivers (didn't work), tried running many virus scans with RKill, Malwarebytes, and Windows Defender (didn't work), and also tried updating Windows (didn't work). I'm honestly just confounded and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here are my specs: RX580, Ryzen 7 3700X, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX, Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro EA750G, Asus Prime B450-M, 2 Monitors

Let me know if you need any more information.

Solution
Wow, there is a lot going on in here....

So, just to be sure I have a time line correct on this.
You have computer with 2200G and RX580 that starts to run poorly. I think you called it "the CPU bottlenecking the system".
Your solution is to add a 3700X.
You then determine over a several month period of time that (other) ongoing issues with your system led you to replace the power supply with one presumably with more current and now the system is crashing.

You mentioned WORK computer, like this is actually their physical machine?
You mention having a HDD as primary.

In theory, if you have the permissions you should be able to type "Optimize Disks" in the search window and have options to defrag/check for errors and so forth.

I...

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
In that case I won't, because there is a lot of data I would prefer to keep. Maybe I can find an extra hard drive with adequate capacity, but I can't think of any other way. This is all assuming the problem is my hard drive, of course. It doesn't make sense to me that my hard drive would impact the framerate of the games I play, but then again I'm not super experienced with this kind of stuff.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador

You have computer with 2200G and RX580 that starts to run poorly. I think you called it "the CPU bottlenecking the system".
You then determine over a several month period of time that (other) ongoing issues with your system led you to replace the power supply with one presumably with more current and now the system is crashing.

In theory, if you have the permissions you should be able to type "Optimize Disks" in the search window and have options to defrag/check for errors and so forth.

I would have to assume that you did the correct BIOS updating and chipset driver refresh or in theory the 3700X would not have booted.

Further muddying of the water by that "driver installer" helper. Those are pure trash.

A few things to consider about backups. All of your games and such that are played through a portal (Steam) will mostly be right back where they are now if you do cloud backup. Make sure you have the license key of any program you are concerned about having to re-register BEFORE you do a clean install. Keep in mind that certain services offer a small amount of free storage with sign up. Google for instance will give you 15GB. I am not sure exactly about others. You may be able to back up pics and such to an online service for free or very cheap for a month, and so forth.

My personal thought is that you have and have had a failing HDD, and even if you didn't your system will never see it's full potential using that. There could be some permissions issues if this is a work machine.

I highly suggest at least trying a fresh install first off. Get the specific drivers from your motherboards site, from AMD, and Windows Update to get everything up and running.

Solution

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021

I would have to assume that you did the correct BIOS updating and chipset driver refresh or in theory the 3700X would not have booted.

Further muddying of the water by that "driver installer" helper. Those are pure trash.

A few things to consider about backups. All of your games and such that are played through a portal (Steam) will mostly be right back where they are now if you do cloud backup. Make sure you have the license key of any program you are concerned about having to re-register BEFORE you do a clean install. Keep in mind that certain services offer a small amount of free storage with sign up. Google for instance will give you 15GB. I am not sure exactly about others. You may be able to back up pics and such to an online service for free or very cheap for a month, and so forth.

My personal thought is that you have and have had a failing HDD, and even if you didn't your system will never see it's full potential using that. There could be some permissions issues if this is a work machine.

I highly suggest at least trying a fresh install first off. Get the specific drivers from your motherboards site, from AMD, and Windows Update to get everything up and running.
Sorry, did I say work computer? This is my own personal computer. So, you are saying that Steam and most games played through a portal will have a cloud backup system? So if I'm understanding correctly, all I will need to do is make those cloud backups, maybe pull pictures, videos, etc. onto an external drive or thumb drive, and then I can just nuke the thing by doing a fresh install and then I can reinstall anything I need to using the cloud backups and whatever else I used? And this is just assuming that a clean install fixes it, if I'm understanding correctly. Is there a way to determine exactly what it is, so that I don't have to go through all of the hoops of nuking my pc?

When you access system restore, you will see only the latest.
But, there is a check box lower down and if you check it, you will possibly see several more.

Take the time to configure system restore.
Before you do something that might go wrong, take a user checkpoint so you can go back.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Is there any way I could tell for sure if it is my hard drive causing these problems without needing to back it up?

Yes.

As above, go to your search window and type "Defragment and Optimize Drives".

If that tool give you the clear, there are better online options. You shoud be able to Google hard drive check (or the like) and find various tools. A few have already been suggested above, and in some cases multiple times.

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
Yes.

As above, go to your search window and type "Defragment and Optimize Drives".

If that tool give you the clear, there are better online options. You shoud be able to Google hard drive check (or the like) and find various tools. A few have already been suggested above, and in some cases multiple times.
I thought it was recommend to back up my drive with those tools first though? Because there was a chance of them messing something up? Or am I misunderstanding?

I would not try to defragment a suspect HDD.
The process involves much reading and rewriting to arrange parts of a data set into good sequential order.
It is time to get out of the HDD business for active data.
Any ssd will make everything much quicker.

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
Well, as little risk as using it. If the drive IS actually failing that could be any moment, any usage. If it isn't failing this will be a first step along determining that.
Alright, it shows two available, listed as "(C:" and "System Reserved". "(C: is labelled as "OK (3% fragmented)", while "System Reserved" is labelled as "OK (0% fragmented)". What does this mean?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Alright, it shows two available, listed as "(C:" and "System Reserved". "(C: is labelled as "OK (3% fragmented)", while "System Reserved" is labelled as "OK (0% fragmented)". What does this mean?

By the testing and ability of Windows to diagnose that disk, it appears to be working within spec. If you haven't already, either now or when/if you do a clean install use the tools to set up a schedule for defragmenting within that panels controls.

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
By the testing and ability of Windows to diagnose that disk, it appears to be working within spec. If you haven't already, either now or when/if you do a clean install use the tools to set up a schedule for defragmenting within that panels controls.
So do you think a clean install will solve the problem?

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
Also, let me add that yesterday, while I was trying to start my computer from hibernate, it bluescreened and said "Driver Power State Failure". I don't know if this helps, but it hasn't happened since then.

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
I do not know, But it is what I always do when I have problems. For me it is alot faster then trying to diagnose if it is a hardware or software problem on a old windows install. Get a USB drive and make a recovery disk. Then reinstall and see if anything changes
I'm working on a reinstall now. Got everything I want to back up on an external drive and all of my Steam and Origin games saved to their respective clouds.