Hello everyone,

this is my setup:

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte B660 GAMING X AX DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Video Card: Zotac Twin Edge OC GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox MB520 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RM750 (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

my problem today is that I have observed that my (new) PC is not using my entire RAM. I have troubleshooted so much regarding this issue and never found a reliable fix.
In the Task-Manager it looks like this:

image.png

The usual load is constantly at around 8 GB, which I don't really get, but besides that, no matter how much load I put on, the usage never goes up to and above 9 GB.
By the looks of it, it's recognizing all the RAM. I have checked in BIOS and it also says I've got 16 GB installed. I am using the XMP preset the Mobo came with.

I have also unchecked the box for the limited RAM in the System Boot Settings (which is recommended as a solution very often). After trying many other things I am clueless and would love some help.. I see this "RAM not being used" everywhere, even on the systems of my peers. Would love to get rid of this.

Any ideas are appreciated!

Nephern

Prominent
Sep 20, 2022
no, thats the right way to do it, can you test one stick at a time starting with one of the sticks in slot 4? (furthest from the cpu)

sometimes the ram can be recognized but is damaged and isnt able to be used.

iSpextor

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
no, thats the right way to do it, can you test one stick at a time starting with one of the sticks in slot 4? (furthest from the cpu)

sometimes the ram can be recognized but is damaged and isnt able to be used.

Screenshot_5.png

Screenshot_1.png

This is what each RAM stick plugged into Slot 4 on their own look like right after startup. Doesn't look like they're damaged to me or are they?

idk why but for some reason half the RAM is usually always occupied.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Nothing wrong with anything as far as I can see. Windows sees both slots, counts the full 16Gb, shows 7.7Gb used and 8Gb still Available minus what's Resident.

Basically what you have is a case of not being able to use the full 16Gb capacity with whatever software you are running. A cpu will only use what it needs to, if that's 8Gb, then that's what it uses, just because there's more unused doesn't necessarily mean it needs to be used.

If you run programs like memtest64, designed to tax a lot of ram, hard, does that make a difference?

It's like driving down the street at 50mph, your foot is barely on the gas pedal. Doesn't make a difference if that's a 400Hp motor or a 1200Hp motor, ypu aren't using anywhere near the capacity in HP doing that speed. The software running is not stomping the gas pedal, so won't use all it has, just uses what it needs.

Reactions: Nephern