Question Entry streaming/gaming

jgatewoo

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2013
I have thought about dipping my toe into the water and streaming as just a hobby so my friends can watch etc. but I am unsure of how to get started from a hardware prospective. I know mix/camera/light etc but do I need any hardware for my computer? It’s an origin chronos v3 with the i9-13900ks and a 4080.

Ralston18

Titan
Start with what you have and let your friends watch and provide feedback.

One friend may say that everything is fine. Another friend may report some problem. Then you troubleshoot.

Keep a list of problems and/or performance issues.

Continue experimenting with hardware and configurations to resolve what you can.

Doing so may reveal another layer of problems or issues.

Then, if there is some problem that cannot be resolved by what you have then look for hardware that specifically (if possible) addresses that problem.

No need to rush through it all.

What you want to avoid is fixing A that causes B to happen. You fix B and then C happens. C gets fixed and A happens again. You end up going in circles: be they hardware, software, configuration, or some mix thereof.

May not make sense at first but you will learn more from the experimental process and improve your overall knowledge of streaming etc..

And, at that point, you will probably know what hardware or anything else (if anything) that you need or require.

"Dip away".

Just my thoughts on the matter.

jgatewoo

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2013
Start with what you have and let your friends watch and provide feedback.

One friend may say that everything is fine. Another friend may report some problem. Then you troubleshoot.

Keep a list of problems and/or performance issues.

Continue experimenting with hardware and configurations to resolve what you can.

Doing so may reveal another layer of problems or issues.

Then, if there is some problem that cannot be resolved by what you have then look for hardware that specifically (if possible) addresses that problem.

No need to rush through it all.

What you want to avoid is fixing A that causes B to happen. You fix B and then C happens. C gets fixed and A happens again. You end up going in circles: be they hardware, software, configuration, or some mix thereof.

May not make sense at first but you will learn more from the experimental process and improve your overall knowledge of streaming etc..

And, at that point, you will probably know what hardware or anything else (if anything) that you need or require.

"Dip away".

Just my thoughts on the matter.
I don’t need to have a dedicated card or anything right? My motherboard only has one pci slot and the graphics card is taking that up

Ralston18

Titan
Dedicated card/GPU :

I would not expect so unless there is some requirement that can only be provided by dedicated or perhaps proprietary hardware/software.

That would be getting ahead of things....

Start here:

https://restream.io/blog/streaming-setup-what-do-you-need-to-stream-live-video/

From the link -

"As a beginner, you need five basic things to go live: a camera, streaming software, a microphone, a computer and a good internet connection. You can also add accessories that will drastically improve the quality of your live stream without too much effort."

5 item checklist in just that paragraph. I.e.: camera, streaming software, a microphone, a computer, and a good internet connection. The latter "good" being somewhat subjective. There are quantifiable performance requirements.

Then as you read and learn do additional searches for more information and specifics.

Plan it out then try it out starting with as much free and/or trial software as you can.

Work from simple to complex. Be ready for some"oops" and do-overs.

And, as you should always be doing, ensure that any important data on the host streaming computer is backed up to locations away from the host computer. At least 2 x with th backups being verified as recoverable and readable.

Keep computer and network security in mind.

TRENDING THREADS