News Epic Games Stores Says Its Exclusive Games Strategy Is About Helping Devs

rugupiruvu

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
And with a goal like that in mind, it's honestly hard to fault them

Is this a sponsored piece? I'm baffled reading a line like this.
Take just a moment to think about the situation, please.
Think about what exclusivity means in the long run and the kind of damage it can cause.

Reactions: coolitic

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
"though we'll grant you the fact that it is a pain to constantly have to swap between launchers. "
You have GOT to be kidding me!! What an absolutely terrible, horrible thing to have to be forced to endure!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Support the devs... would be nice to actually do that. The backbone doesn't even see that extra income - it goes straight to the greedy publishers' pockets.
Yet, not one positive thing to be seen with Epic's exclusivity deals:pfff:

Last edited:

gamergeek

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Yes, they are totally doing it out of the kindness of their hearts. Also loot boxes don't exist to make money they are only there because they are a fun addition to any game.

Feb 14, 2019
It seems that if they didn't do the exclusivity that they could charge less for the game than Steam then the gamers would have a choice of Steam or EPIC game store to get the game, if they want cheaper then go to EPIC and for just convenience they go Steam. So, the gamers could be helping the developers if they want and not be forced to add "ANOTHER" game store to have to log in to, which is a pain.

tshinhar

Honorable
May 27, 2015
This is such a BS
that guy thinks we are all idiots
He could have done much better by putting all that money for selling games cheaper like 45-50$ instead of 60$
All he wants is to use the billions from fortnite to create a big platform by paying off developers so that when fortnite dies he can still make money
It's just predatory and anti consumer in every way and he knows that.
And on top of that the epic game store is such a bad software like with all that money at least invest in a decent software but then again why would he? He can just buy exclusives

Reactions: coolitic

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
This is such a BS
that guy thinks we are all idiots
He could have done much better by putting all that money for selling games cheaper like 45-50$ instead of 60$
All he wants is to use the billions from fortnite to create a big platform by paying off developers so that when fortnite dies he can still make money
It's just predatory and anti consumer in every way and he knows that.
And on top of that the epic game store is such a bad software like with all that money at least invest in a decent software but then again why would he? He can just buy exclusives
Not trying to defend the guy, but there are people, unlike us, who aren't aware of the truth of the matter, and those who just don't care - if they want a product bad enough, they'll get it from wherever.
They know this, and are using them to their advantage.

cjmcgee

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
If Epic was competing on price (or even features) and stuff was cheaper over there I would seriously be considering buying stuff on their platform. But, with the exclusives it feels like they are trying to "force" me to buy them on their platform against my will, which makes me hate Epic. Lying to our face like this just makes that hate stronger. They are doing exclusives to gain market share; claiming it is some altruistic motive when everyone can see right through that just makes people trust them less.

Reactions: King_V

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
All well and good, though, I frankly don't believe his stated reason.

But does Epic provide all the things that Steam provides, and incur the same costs that Valve does? Does Valve really get 30%? Not according to Ars...
I'd read somewhere(TPU, I think) that the cut Steam takes is proportional to sales volume. If a title hits it big, they also take a larger cut.
It could be as little as 15% if sales were mediocre.

I'd read somewhere(TPU, I think) that the cut Steam takes is proportional to sales volume. If a title hits it big, they also take a larger cut.
It could be as little as 15% if sales were mediocre.

Its quite the opposite. The better sales a game does the lower the cut is:

All well and good, though, I frankly don't believe his stated reason.

But does Epic provide all the things that Steam provides, and incur the same costs that Valve does? Does Valve really get 30%? Not according to Ars...

Don't do that. Epic needs to be able to pound on the 30% vs 12%. Also don't mention that EGS is still missing a ton of features Steam already has because reasons.

I think the dishonesty in all this is what really irks me when I see someone hardcore defend EGS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88 and King_V