Epic Shifting Focus Back to PC as Primary Platform

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I wonder if the only reason they're making the switch is because the next-gen consoles haven't been released yet.

"Until the next gen consoles come out". That's the fine print, right?

Come on, we're not suckers so don't try to make statements like those. If consoles don't die, they'll keep on making games primarily for them. It's just business, but don't try to make sucker-like statements like those: "oh, we love PC so we're back to them".

Just make quality games no matter the platform and you'll make money. Period.

Cheers!

krinkles619

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
[citation][nom]hotsacoman[/nom]I wonder if the only reason they're making the switch is because the next-gen consoles haven't been released yet.[/citation]

lies. it's just because PC's will always win, because their tech is the latest while consoles are going to be years behind. well that's what i think, at least. plus, everyone has a computer, but not everyone has an xbox or ps3. if you can make small games that everyone can access instead of large games that only a few people can access, then you can drive home the profits

BluntObjection

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
Meanwhile Indie game companies are making great games on the college budget of Ramen noodles & Coke(Pepsi if your gay) and making tons of money.
Why do big game companies think they can scape by with no innovation?

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Oh, so the company that laughed at PC gamers for being pissed off at all the ports is now crawling back to the PC platform. How sad.

Maybe companies are losing money because gamers are getting tired of them trying to rip us off. Micro-transactions are the latest abomination to gaming, and even Valve has taken to it like a crack fiend. $60 for Portal 2 and they want us to pay $1 per animation for co-op! REALLY!?

As usual, I blame gamers for this. It's the idiots that keep buying into this crap that has destoyed gaming as we knew it. We haven't hit rock bottom yet, but we're getting there. More studios will close, and more gamers will turn to pirating until the industry essentially disintegrates from the inside. I guess the bright side is that we may have a chance to start over when that happens.

verbalizer

Distinguished

10188-1.jpg

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
of course, they have to now because they dont want to work on UE3 forever. I bet theyd betray us again when the next stronger consoles appear, and support good with UE4.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Forgive my potentially erroneous memory, but is this the same company who said that they were going to focus primarily on console games, because they thought the PC was no longer a viable gaming platform?

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Its a good call, the next gen consoles will get closer to todays game rigs and the next xbox will be Dx11 capable and where is that available today, thats right - Win Pc!. I hope the shooter grene gets back to life, CoD and co... /puke

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
I feel like gaming companies spend too much time focusing on projections in lieu or real world numbers, and make rash decisions and baseless statements.

People say consoles far outsell pc titles, but how much money goes into licensing and physical media(as well as other extraneous cost associated with console development).

It stands to reason that if you develop for pc, cut the drm, sell the game through digital distribution, you can lower cost to the end user and increase profit margin at the same time.

Another thing to consider is that services such as onlive, in 5 years time could fully replace consoles, as infrastructure improves.

Most arguments for console gaming are born of ignorance, and could be remedied with little more than a pamphlet.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
On an unrelated note, perhaps if the focus was on making decent games instead of trying to measure games by their budget, we'd start to actually see decent games come out of these big publishers.

ram1009

Distinguished
I'm just glad to see this in print. Maybe others will follow. I hope the console makers have learned that their platforms aren't as secure as they hoped they'd be nor can they be made to be any more secure than a PC game. I think services like STEAM are benefiting PC gaming.

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
[citation][nom]Darkerson[/nom]TIL in Toms Hardware comment section that if you drink Pepsi, apparently youre gay.[/citation]

Lol admittedly i got a chuckle out of that for some reason i cannot explain. it was just striking that he felt the distinction needed to be made.

On another note, I am all for mobile gaming, but it is it's own category, no merger need be made. Killer, you really believe fallout 3 and farmville are in the same category? i'm like 99% sure you are trollin lol but if not i would be interested in hearing your validation.

greatsaltedone

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Don't care how much money they make. These aren't games, these are toys. Feel the difference.[/citation]

Go play EYE Divine Cybermancy or Mount and Blade and see if you still believe that. Small scale gaming has always been the source of innovation, while the big guys just polish the ideas up and beat them to death.

Status
Not open for further replies.