Epic Shifting Focus Back to PC as Primary Platform

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kaitheus

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
They need to focus on both PC and Consoles, I.E make 2 separate games essentially where there optimized for which ever platform there intended for and stop porting games with horrid GFX and low quality visuals *like cinematic's etc etc*. This low res texture BS with ports is annoying the hell out of me, in this day of age we shouldn't have that issue with the hardware we use now.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Considering the game engine preview they released earlier this year (unreal engine 4), maybe they've also come to the realization that if they wait for console hardware to catch up to their graphics engine... They'll be waiting another 3 years. (The engine is scheduled to launch in 2012)

On the PC side they could launch a game with their new engine next year and the PC would be able to handle it without issue.

Maximus_Delta

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
How BF3 sells on PC is going to be very interesting. If BF3 sells well will prove AAA titles still viable on the PC. If BF3 sells well on PC but better on the consoles, proves most of the points above (inferior product on consoles but the masses are less descerning than enthusist PC gamers). However, if BF3 sells well but COD MW3 sells better, proves we have a depressing state of affairs on hand with little hope near term.

superwatson

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Why reinvent the wheel? Just update it. I would pay for some of the older games with a better Engine. And yes I am a fossil, and I drink Coke AND Pepsi. But I have cash.....ever heard of 'Aces of the Pacific?'

G

how about making the new games resource efficient? i mean improving graphics with less computer specs just like they want to promote green computing..

DawnTreader

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
Epic needs to rethink thier game style. keep making UT's or GoW's but they need to come up with a much better game idea than "kill with style".

how about brainstorming an original idea and not making it all blood and guts killing? Valve does very well making games that take more than shooting to play.

And why not use your fantastic game engine for something other than 3rd person shooters? i have seen the engine do other things. try a different style of game.

i dont think epic will last much longer, they dont have any idea of how to make a good game. techology will not make a great game any more than super effects make a good movie.

rionaam

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
Please, give me another Jazz Jackrabbit! I'll be happy with that, whether it's a remake of the first 2 games or a new one -preferably both.

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

Well BF3 is one the main reason I built my first rig. But not everyone has got $1000+ to throw down on a gaming PC. So consoles outnumber gaming PC probably 10:1, estimate. But I'll be on BF3 on PC fo sho!

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
not suprising ,really despite epic's prievious claims of being console geared , i just never bought it , consider the fact that the Ureal enginge is ALWAYS built for developing content on pc. This fact a lone speaks volumes for where epic's real focus is. Even if they stoped making pc games they would still be making their main products from a engine/toolset that is MADE for PC, NOT Consoles. naturally games that use UDK run a crap loads better on pc as well take and UDK based games and compare it to it';s consoel coutnerpart , (even ports) and you wil see adrastic difference in visual quality , the ENGINE is just made for runing on a pc

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]epic is dead to me.cliff is an out spoken douche who claims they went away from pc because of filthy pirates (in his words, all computer users) and they show NO respect to gamers, and in the pc market, they NEED respect, but because they lost it, they blame poor sales on "everyone who owns a pc pirates" or some other outlandish crap that cliff spouts. want me to give them another chance? FIRE CLIFF, i don't like anything about him and he is the reason i stopped buying epic games.[/citation]

i think youa re confusing epic with EA , LOL , epic always said they went to consoles because the pc sales just weren't there , i don't recall any itnerview with any oen from epic where they ever even mentioned piracy , keep in mind also , epic games only require a cd key they threw securom or other draconic drm's on thier games , further more any one is free to use teh UDK editor FOR free , unless your game makes over 5000 bucks (then they get 15% of sales on any money over that 5000). does that sound like they sold out on pc ??? ask me it doesn't, it sounds more like they have done far more than any other company to entice budding dev companies to develop for pc , since thier engine and tool set are made for pc not consoles. Also it is likely this limited Free use of the UDK thing is why they focused thier game efforts on console , doing that the udk it's self started to make far less money than it did on the old 99.99 dollar a license with 5% sales money theme , because a lot of small indie devs use it and thier games never see 5000 bucks in sales even when they are great games.
Just saying they've done a lot more for the pc game industry than ANY other company , and certainly did more for it than most the posters here that just love to hate , whine , and bitch any time a company makes a move that reflects the fact THEY ARE A BUISNESS, and start cryign how you won't buy their games(regardless of what company you are griping about( it's no wonder so many companies are ditching pc.

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
I was a huge fan of original and classic Unreal and Unreal Tournament. Just about everygame after that from Epic was a failure. Not to mention they sold us PC players out so I say fuk'em, they can go and keep making console trash.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
UT3 was complete garbage because it was made from the ground up for consoles. I'm pretty sure theres more poeple playing UT2004 than UT3. Nobody played UT3 on consoles either.

We need a new Unreal Tournament game thats PC exclusive.

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Screw Epic! They piss all over pc gamers by calling them pirates and how consoles are the future and now they want to focus on the pc market again?

Everything they've done since the Gears Of War series started has been mediocre at best anyway.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Yeah, I don't buy it. This after there was another article about how PC gaming is dead just a couple of weeks ago. PC gaming might be picking up a bit at the moment, but its only because the next gen consoles aren't coming out any time soon.

As an avid PC gamer, I really wish it was true, but they've just crapped in my Chocolate Cheerios too many times for me to believe anything they say now. Call me bitter, but I'm not going to listen to more marketing BS.

alxianthelast

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
[citation][nom]sinned angel[/nom]what about SAMARITAN?[/citation]
@ what about samaritan, the hardware isn't there to make it for PC or console. especially not for mainstream Windows/Mac/Linux gaming and casual PCs.

At the very least making several PC titles between now and then, instead of focusing on console and mobile which do nothing to advance hardware, will ensure that Epic does its part in keeping PC gaming on life support long enough for Samaritan class graphics to become affordable one day, even on integrated graphics all-in-one computers.

G

I'll play their games once they apologize to the PC community on their knees.

GNCD

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
"With the console era seemingly coming to a close, where does that leave Epic?"

Is it really coming to a close? No more console ports? How did they determine that?

GNCD

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
[citation][nom]K-zon-[/nom]Couldn't submit post for comment: K-zonYea, to say with console , efforts of lanning very to say , or multiplayer connect. Alot is already there to say for it though, but find the things needed sometimes vary. And when found probably don't have much a use for it. But of it though is console and pc, some games go back and forth to say rather ones better for the other probably more then none. Also console is usually game dedicated, is just one isn't enough. But ya know things do very since alot of consoles do find an interest more then just for gaming as of the later release of say years past or the like.[/citation]

You don't like pie anymore?

Hirachi

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
[citation][nom]alxianthelast[/nom]@ what about samaritan, the hardware isn't there to make it for PC or console. especially not for mainstream Windows/Mac/Linux gaming and casual PCs.At the very least making several PC titles between now and then, instead of focusing on console and mobile which do nothing to advance hardware, will ensure that Epic does its part in keeping PC gaming on life support long enough for Samaritan class graphics to become affordable one day, even on integrated graphics all-in-one computers.[/citation]
Epic said that if they wanted to they could optimize samaritan down to a single GTX 580

derp_75

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
stop
"Perhaps Epic should work on an Unreal Tournament title built for Facebook and Google+. Like many other multiplayer FPS games on the former social network, gamers can frag for free with options to purchase upgrades immediately or slowly collect virtual currency for purchasing needed upgrades."

No.

Never. No dlc. No.

Status
Not open for further replies.