Epic: We Haven't Abandoned the PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"But I think that’s a myth that we’ve abandoned the PC, it’s just not true," he said. "I mean, Bulletstorm is coming out on three platforms; we’ve just been in this situation where our biggest franchise has been published by a console-holder, and was a very console designed-IP.

We haven't abandoned PC Gamers. We just make all our new games for Console makers... that's all. I have NOOOO idea where this myth came from... look, we test our games on PCs (because we can't code them with an XBOX you know).

Blah blah. Shut up. I'm so tired of game developers screwing the people who created them.

efeat

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
Dear Game Development Companies,

We PC gamers can readily tell the difference between a true multiplatform game, and a game that has been simply ported to another platform.
If Bulletstorm turns out to be an X360 game that was ported to the PC, we'll know, and your sales will suffer.
If the PC version of Bulletstorm is finely crafted to accommodate the PC platform, we'll know, and your sales will flourish.

The choice is yours.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
I buy 5-6 games a month for the PC. I buy one every three or four months for the PS/3 and my 360 isn't even plugged in (no RRoD issues if it's never on).

Different games belong on different platforms, it just happens that Epic prefers console/arcade gaming.

Vermil

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Piracy is the big part. If you want to know who are really responsible, just look to Pirate Bay and such, those who have made piracy easy and convenient. Of course the market will adapt or die. But it's not the only part of the equation. There is also MS, and how Ballmer allows things to play out internally. PC-gaming is downplayed due to internal presssure to make the 360 more successful. This is madness, ofc, but MS haven't acted smart since Gates left the rudder. Ballmer seriously doesn't understand that the sole reason people are using Windows is direct-X and PC-games compatibility. This is their foundation, and the company is wrecking it. If not for games, why not use Linux or Apple instead? All the important people on the market will, and everybody and his mother will follow. Apple will one day make a Mac that is a mass-item, just like iPod and iPhone. Console market share is worth nothing in the long run. The day Apple release a game console, they will walk all over them. Since Apple has 40 billion capital for hardware developments and every bright engineer wants to work for Apple or Google, and nobody but rejects want to work for MS, there's not much they will be able to do about it. And yea, that's Ballmer's fault also.

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
If they want to alienate PC gamers, then fine, that's their loss, but at least be honest about it, Epic. As for us PC gamers, arguably the most hardcore group of gamers on earth, we can just voice our opinions with our wallets. Hopefully, the day will finally come when gaming consoles become all but totally undesirable due to their general purpose, closed architecture. Those limitations will stifle their ability to run "real next gen" games that PCs can handle, and then we'll start to see these game companies make the next round of excuses as to why they've suddenly come back to the PC. Bring on 4k x 2k resolution with AA, AF, and DX11, while "HD" consoles will still be struggling to run games at 720p with dark muddy textures and no way to boost the performance.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]If anyone is seriously into gaming.. they don't play on a wannabe pc in the budget class labeled a console, which few seem to realizes gets more expensive in the end!About 10'ish purchased games they could had a PC with far better performance AND those 10 games for the same money due to the extra fee that the consoles add to the game price tag (in order to sell the hardware cheaper). The more games after that the lesser the game experience will be compared to a pc where the extra "console tax" could have been poured into the system delivering that game... the rig allowing a solid performance with greater resolution ect. (Playing at 2560x1600 today, where is the console that can deliver any fps worth mentioning at that res?)[/citation]

This is a double standard. Sure PC gaming can be cheaper when it's "held back" by console software, but otherwise it's not unheard of to be upgrading components every few months, which does get expensive.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]schmich[/nom]Bulletstorm is a static environment game...we're in 2010 so can we have SOME physics at least?[/citation]

No, because unfortunately Bulletstorm (like Crysis 2) was still designed for the lowest common denominator, particularly the Xbox 360. Also the reason Epic is holding off on UE4 until the 720 or whatever is being developed.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Pyroflea[/nom]Everyone is straying away from PC gaming. Let's face it, most people play on consoles these days. It's unfortunate, but it's the reality.[/citation]
Really?
I call BS on your made up statistics.
Apart from anecdotal evidence from various console people and self interest groups can you show me figures anywhere, with links, showing the number of PC gamers year-on-year for the last 5 years?

If there is anything other than an increase I will personally give you $1000.

Vermil

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Really?I call BS on your made up statistics.Apart from anecdotal evidence from various console people and self interest groups can you show me figures anywhere, with links, showing the number of PC gamers year-on-year for the last 5 years?If there is anything other than an increase I will personally give you $1000.[/citation]
I'll allow for back_by_demand to be right on this. The movement towards consoles is not an adaption to where the gamers go. If anything, I'm pretty sure PC-gamers were still increasing when the publishers turned their emphasis to consoles. It's the other way around, gamers, in particular young gamers, go where the games are. It's very far in between major PC-titles these day. Question is if there will ever be a major PC-title again? Publishers and retailers want the games to be on consoles. So that's how it's gonna be.

bamslang

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
I just wish they would let console vs PC happen already. If you're going to give PC players the exact same crap you give the consoles, let us play them and show them why PC gaming is superior. I bet you all those raging 12 year olds on xbox live would swap to PC after getting tactical nuked game after game by a PC player with a mouse that changes sensitivity on the go.

Status
Not open for further replies.