Question EPS Connector 4 pin?

Feb 16, 2023
I have an HX1000 Platinum psu. I want to know if it's okay to connect a 4pin cable (not a 4+4 pin) to the 8pin cpu slot in the PSU and into the 4pin EPS header on the motherboard? I know that it's okay to connect the 4+4 cable that comes with the psu to the psu and then split it on the motherboard side to plug it into the 4 pin header. But is it also okay to use just a 4 pin cable and connect that to only half of the an 8pin slot on the psu?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

With what limited knowledge you've proveided;
https://www.corsair.com/corsairmedia/sys_master/productcontent/HX_Manual.pdf
the PSU comes with 2x8(4+4)pin EPS connectors. You should always plug what needs to go the PSU end which is also denoted by a PSU on the cable's end, since you can't tell the pinout on the PSU's end.

Make and model of your motherboard and the processor you've paired with the board?

Feb 16, 2023
What do you mean limited knowledge I've provided? I told you exactly what I'm asking. I'm not talking about the 4+4 cables that come with the PSU. I'm talking about using a strictly 4 pin cable that is 4 pins on both the motherboard end and the psu end, with that PSU.

Where are you going to get a cable that has only 4 pins on the power supply side.

The physical clips will not really allow that to work. In theory of you got a cable with a connector that would physically fit into the PCIE/cpu ports on the power supply and it had the correct wires connected to the motherboard side it would work.
This is fairly high risk thing to attempt unless you are absolutely sure the wires are going where you think they are. Since they won't have a way to clip into the power supply side you run the risk that the cable falls out.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
What do you mean limited knowledge I've provided? I told you exactly what I'm asking. I'm not talking about the 4+4 cables that come with the PSU. I'm talking about using a strictly 4 pin cable that is 4 pins on both the motherboard end and the psu end, with that PSU.

The cables that come with the PSU are the only ones that should ever be used except for aftermarket cables that are specified to work with that exact PSU. There's no such thing as a generic four-pin-modular-PSU-to-four-pin-motherboard cable that you can just plug into whatever PSU.