[SOLVED] Equalizer settings not being applied to all speakers in 5.1 setup ?

bestmak

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
Hi everyone! The last time I was active in these forums was around 6 years ago, so I am glad to see the community is still so active :)

My Specs/Setup:
  • Logitech Z906 5.1 Speakers
  • Connected using TOSLINK S/PDIF Optical Cable
  • Motherboard: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING/AURA
  • Audio Chipset/Codec: Realtek ALC1150
  • Windows 10 PC
Note: After installing a patch that enables Dolby & DTS I am now getting true 5.1 surround sound in applications like videogames, over a TOSLINK cable. I have always used EQ to modify the sound on any device & speaker/headphones I use. In the case of these Z906 speakers, I applied a +12dB gain on 16kHz frequency and -1dB on 8k frequency.

After using this online multichannel audio test, I noticed something odd: when the narrator says "front center" and audio is playing from the center speaker, my EQ settings are not applied to this speaker. The narrator's voice sounds muffled as it is missing the treble boost that I applied in Realtek's Audio Manager/Windows audio settings (they copy over). I can only hear these EQ settings applied to the front L&R speakers. I also noticed that these EQ settings are not applied to the rear L&R speakers but at least they sound a bit clearer than the center speaker. When I listen to music in 4.1, the EQ settings are applied to both front and rear L&R speakers, since the rear speakers are just being filled in.

To test if my thinking is correct: when I disable the EQ settings, the front L&R speakers sound the same as the center speaker (muffled) but the rear L&R speakers sound slightly better than the center speaker (same as before though). I know my center speaker is not faulty because I switched the wiring with the front left speaker and got the same result - audio from the front left using the center speaker sounds clear, but audio from the center using the front left speaker sounds muffled. Therefore, Windows is only applying my EQ settings to front L&R speakers.

How can I apply my EQ settings to all 5 speakers: front L&R, rear L&R, and center? Please let me know if I can provide more info. I appreciate any and all advice!

Solution
you could use VLC media player, it has its own equalizer and is able to stream digital over tosslink, some audio players have its own equalizer aswell (foobar pops in mind)

Good news, I found a solution! :) Thank you so much for your help and replies btw!

FXSound is an EQ software that allows me to apply my EQ settings to all 5 speakers: front L&R, rear L&R, and center, without disabling DTS functionality from Windows/Realtek audio manager! Now, my center speaker has the EQ applied to it as well so it doesn't sound muffled anymore. :)

For anyone facing a similar issue:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1uFLPvnEi8&ab_channel=Cosbro
(you're welcome ;))
replacing your soundcard could solve it, im running sound blaster z (its quite old but still sells in shops) and no issues with equalizer on digital 5.1 over optical, 5.1 works even on stereo (with dolby live/dts connect codec), which is realtime audio encoding

bestmak

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
replacing your soundcard could solve it, im running sound blaster z (its quite old but still sells in shops) and no issues with equalizer on digital 5.1 over optical, 5.1 works even on stereo (with dolby live/dts connect codec), which is realtime audio encoding

Thanks for your reply! I definitely agree that buying a soundcard will provide better audio and more features, such as multichannel EQ, and perhaps that will solve my issue. But before that, I want to see if I can figure it out with software first and if all else fails I may need to go that route.

Currently, I am trying to use software that supports multichannel EQ and applies it to all audio in Windows. That would solve my problem. I have tried multiple software, each with its own drawbacks, with no luck so far. I tried Equalizer APO earlier because it is free and quite popular, but it prevented me from using DTS in my Realtek sound manager which meant I could not enable 5.1 audio. It's possible I did something wrong or did not set it up correctly so I am giving it another shot, since the software is packed with features...I'd be surprised if it doesn't support multichannel EQ + DTS.

A question and a request for you, kerbos_20. Can you please apply a unique EQ (for testing) in your software and then use this online multichannel audio test to check if the EQ is applied to ALL 5 speakers (front L&R, rear L&R, and CENTER)? Perhaps the official Realtek software that I'm using only supports stereo EQ.

the thing is that sound has to be encoded before it gets sent to your speakers over optical, thats what a soundcard does, if you want to equalize it, you have to do it before it gets encoded or decode it, equalize it then encode and send....
well basicly your soundcard reports stereo to all software because stereo is limit on pcm optic

btw any reason you wont use analog?

bestmak

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
the thing is that sound has to be encoded before it gets sent to your speakers over optical, thats what a soundcard does, if you want to equalize it, you have to do it before it gets encoded or decode it, equalize it then encode and send....
well basicly your soundcard reports stereo to all software because stereo is limit on pcm optic

btw any reason you wont use analog?

Thanks for explaining! I think you are correct about my sound card reporting that I have a stereo configuration, even though I am able to use DTS and have true 5.1 audio, since I am using an unofficial patch to enable DTS.

And great question! I actually recently bought three 3.5mm cables specifically to be able to play video games in 5.1 audio but I was disappointed to hear that it just did not sound as good as my TOSLINK/optical connection. It is not a night and day difference, but to my ears, it is noticeable in games and music. If I had to describe it, it is as though a good portion of the lower and higher frequencies are just cut out. With the optical connection, the bass is more powerful and I hear more of the higher frequencies. Even with the same EQ applied, the sound is more muffled and not as clear when using analog. I also hear a faint noise when I get very close to the speakers (signal noise), but that wasn't as big of a deal-breaker for me. Also, when in 5.1 mode and at the same volume level, analog is much quieter for some reason. It is possible that the cables are to blame since they were quite cheap, but I feel like my sound card just isn't the best at sending audio over analog, so I want to stick with using optical and make it work since it sounds better. However, the worst part is even with an analog connection, the EQ is still not applied to all speakers (which is confusing)...it is still only applied to front L&R speakers. So I may as well just stick with the optical connection :)

I tried Equalizer APO again and no matter how I set it up, it prevents me from enabling DTS in either Windows or my Realtek audio manager. I believe that installing the new APO overwrites/disables the patch that I installed earlier and I am not able to figure out a way around that issue. And with that issue, I cannot enable DTS therefore no 5.1 audio. So I am continuing my search for other EQ software that will still allow me to use DTS & apply EQ to all speakers via an optical connection.

bestmak

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
you could use VLC media player, it has its own equalizer and is able to stream digital over tosslink, some audio players have its own equalizer aswell (foobar pops in mind)

Good news, I found a solution! :) Thank you so much for your help and replies btw!

FXSound is an EQ software that allows me to apply my EQ settings to all 5 speakers: front L&R, rear L&R, and center, without disabling DTS functionality from Windows/Realtek audio manager! Now, my center speaker has the EQ applied to it as well so it doesn't sound muffled anymore. :)

For anyone facing a similar issue:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1uFLPvnEi8&ab_channel=Cosbro
(you're welcome ;))

Solution